Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Opening PDF in IE 8/IE 9 with Adobe plugin 10.1.2.X - workaround

Feb 7, 2012 5:42 AM

Tags: #10.1.2

Hi,

After update my Adobe Reader to latest one (10.1.2.45) I started to have problems with opening PDF files directly in IE 8/IE 9.

Problem background:

I have a JSF web application (hosted on Tomcat 6) where on a certain page I use direct link to open a certain PDF file from server. When click on the link, a JavaScript new window is opened where PDF is displayed directly. When I click on the link first time, PDF opens and it is visible. This is OK. But when I close the window and try to open it again by clicking the link (with the same file), second trial does not work - I see grey page instead of PDF. I have this problem only for IE 8 (tested from Windows XP Prof.) and IE 9 (tested from Windows 7 Professional). Both IE used for test were 32-bit. Both have Adobe plugin 10.1.2.45 installed. Recently I had for both Adobe plugin version 10.0.1.434 and it worked OK.

How to reproduce/workaround:

First I though it is something related to my application (Tomcat settings or something), because next to opening PDF in new popup JavaScript window, my application also displays embedded PDF on pages inside <iframe> tag. Now most weird part: I discovered that problem with opening PDF inside new popup window under IE8 /IE 9 occurs only when I previously displayed any PDF embedded on page using <iframe>!

Based on that I am able to create simple .html files where I can reproduce this issue everytime (when I put those files on a server inside any web application). I created 2 files: one of them has PDF file displayed inside <iframe> tag and has the link to the second page, where I can open PDF file using JavaScript new window. Those files are:

1.html:

<html>

<body>

<b>Page 1</b><br /><br />

<iframe src="test.pdf"></iframe>

<br />

<br />

<a href="2.html">[Page with JavaScript PDF opening (page 3)]</a>

</body>

</html>

2.html:

<html>

<head>

<script type="text/javascript">

// <![CDATA[   

function showPDF(fileToShow) {   

window.open(fileToShow,'PDFWindow','toolbar=0,menubar=0,location=0,di rectories=0,status=0,resizable=0');

}

// ]]>

</script>

</head>

<body>

<b>Page 2</b><br /><br />

<a onclick="showPDF('test.pdf');">[Open PDF in new window with JavaScipt]</a>

</body>

</html>

Then I open the IE 8/IE 9 browser and type URL to my Tomcat server, to some web application which contains those pages (for example: http://localhost:8080/test/1.html). I see embedded PDF correctly. Then I go to the second page using the link, and on second page I click the link to open new JavaScript window with displayed PDF. As I wrote before, first opening works, but second (third, fourth,...) not (remember to close first opened popup window before open it second time).

Now some modifications to make it work (they are di):

Solution 1. Refresh second opened window with F5 - PDF is reloaded and siplayed correctly

Solution 2. Close all opened new windows from page 2.html and go back to the page 1.html where PDF is visible as embedded iframe (use browser's button "back"), then navigate again to 2.html. First click on new window works again! But second, third, fourth again not.

Solution 3. Put on page which opens new popup windows (in our case: 2.html) an embedded iframe with PDF in the same way like it was placed on 1.html. Now You can open new window with PDF many times and eveything works OK.

Solution 4. Remove from 1.html embedded <iframe> with PDF, then navigate to 2.html (or just open http://localhost:8080/test/2.html directly). Again You can open new window with PDF many times and eveything works OK.

Note: when I open those files in a browser directly from my desktop (not from server and web application) everything works OK, no matter if I have <iframe> or not on page 1.html. When I navigate between many pages that have PDFs displayed using <iframe> (no matter what is in <iframe>: direct URL to file stored on server or invoking a servlet which "produces" PDF) everything works OK, PDF are displayed. It seems that problem is only when new window is in use and some page before used an <iframe> (except page that opens those new window - see solution 3). Maybe this is something related to the security settings in IE?

Hope this helps someone.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to Pawo509

We have similar problem.

HTML page containts pdf object. This PDF is not displayed when user has combination: IE + Acrobat X + plugin version 10.1.2.45

If user uses other browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) or has only Reader X or has plugin older than 10.1.2.45, than PDF (as object in HTML) is displayed correctly.

It seems like some bug in plugin version 10.1.2.45

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to Pawo509

PDF is in HTML as object:

<object id="pdf" data="sample.pdf#toolbar=0&navpanes=0&messages=0" type="application/pdf" width="400" height="200"  style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px"></object>

I don't use IFRAME, because I need to communicate with PDF via javascript and it is possible only when PDF is as object, not in iframe.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to Pawo509

Well, we are using it in Win7, and PDF is interactive XFA form with scripts (so it is not just simple PDF).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 12:27 AM   in reply to Pawo509

Hi,

I think this issue is known issue. See 10.1.2 release notes at: kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/.../Acrobat_Reader_ReleaseNote_10.1.2.pdf

Hope Adobe will come up with some kind of fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 12:32 AM   in reply to Pawo509

Hi All,

Try this hotfix and check after rebooting the machine:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/930/cpsid_93026.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to Nikhil.Gupta

this hotfix has fixed an out standing isue that we where having. Thanks.

Do you know if this was just released? and if it will be included in the next release say 10.1.3.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 11:35 PM   in reply to jay_24

Hi,

Hotfix has been releases after 10.1.2 release.

In the past, all hotfixes were inlcuded in next release, so I think this time also it will be included in 10.1.3

-NIkhil

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to Nikhil.Gupta

Has this issue been reintroduced in 10.1.4? I've run into the issue where PDFs will not open when using window.open on IE8 WIN7. I did not have a problem when using IE8 and XP.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to jlmsb

I am noticing this again as well with Win7, IE8-10, and Adobe plugin 10.1.4.38.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points