Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Camera Comparison Question For The Gurus Out There...  :o)

Mar 4, 2012 6:49 PM

Hi All...

I am a beginning photographer (and web designer) but I have a technical question in regards to two cameras I own...

I have Canon Digital Rebel XT EOS 8.0mp SLR I purchased back in or around 2006

I also have a more up-to-date put less professional Powershot Canon SD1200 IS Digital ELPH 10.0mp

My question is comparison...  Which is the better camera?  What are some of the Differences (Remember my knowledge of cameras is small)

Is my cute handheld 10mp Canon Powershot a better candidate than the Digital Rebel XT 8.0mp SLR (With Lens)?  Or is Mit Romney the better Candidate (Joking)...

Any information would certainly help me out!

Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2012 7:41 PM   in reply to Prodigy9

The biggest difference is the sensor size.

The ELPH's sensor is 6.17mm x 4.55mm

The Rebel's sensor is 22.2mm x 14.8mm

The Rebel has more than 10 times as much area, and the area is where the light is collected.  What this means is the Rebel collects over 10 times as much light at the same f-stop and shutter speed as the Elph.  Since signal-to-noise ratio goes with the square root of the light captured, you can count on a more than 3x better signal-to-noise ratio with the Rebel over the Elph for the same f-stop, shutter speed, and framed scene.

This is why SLRs have the (deserved) reputation of being better in low-light.

Of course, the Rebel can also use interchangable lenses.  When you're a focal-length-range junky like me (over 1,500x covered), that can be important.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 5:54 AM   in reply to Prodigy9

You can get similar image quality from the SLR at ISO 1600 as you'll get from the compact at ISO 100.  That allows you to shoot in darker conditions, such as indoors by artificial light and still retain good image quality.

The difference between 10MP and 8MP is irrelevant, and the lower noise of the larger sensor will probably give it the ability to retain more detail even with a lower pixel count.  Your Rebel will demolish an iPhone in detail and low-light performance, even with just the kit lens.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 5:38 AM   in reply to Prodigy9

Your Rebel will use every Canon EOS lens ever made, including any new ones.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points