Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"You need to install a printer"

Mar 3, 2012 8:05 PM

Tags: #problem #acrobat #9 #windows #printing #7 #printer #print #acrobat_9_pro #printer_problem

I'm running Acrobat Pro 9.5.0 under Windows 7 Pro 64-bit build 7601 SP 1.  It usually works correctly, but every few hours, when I open a PDF file and hit Ctrl-P or invoke File/Print, an error box pops up:

You need to install a printer.png

The fact is that my Windows 7 installation already includes several printers, all listed when I go to Start Menu -> Devices and Printers.  My default printer works correctly from all other applications (e.g. MS-Word, Mozille Firefox).  However, I can't seem to convince Acrobat to use it, without re-booting my computer.  And then, after I re-boot, I can print from Acrobat for the next few hours, until for some unexpected reason, the same problem recurs.

Now I'm getting pretty tired of interrupting my work to reboot my system every time I want to print a PDF document.  I would really like to know why and how this problem happens and how to fix it.  Any ideas?

- Rich

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to Richard Pasco

1. Does any printer show up in the print dialog?

2. Can you print from any other application after this problem happens?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to Richard Pasco

Have you tried the File>Print to get the menu, just in case it is a shortcut issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Richard Pasco

Sorry, I missed the second option you mentioned. All I can suggest at this point is to do a repair.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 11:49 PM   in reply to Richard Pasco

I have the same Windows/Adobe setup and the same exact problem.  I'm wondering if it has to do with a recent Windows update?  I'm trying to do an install repair but it's hanging at about 1/6th of the way.  Richard, do you have any USB devices that are installed as printers but aren't?  I have a plotter that uses a printer driver and its driver was just updated in a Windows update.  I've been creating a lot of .eps files for it lately and then this "install a printer" thing started happening.  I'm trying to figure out if it's an Acrobat thing or due to my other activities.

Oooh!  15 minutes later, the repair jumped to 9 minutes remaiing, then 12, then 15, then 17, now 21.... the bar hasn't moved but at least it's giving me a baseline for my wasted time.  Now it's fluttering between 21 and 22 minutes remaining.

I also just updated Firefox, the Acrobat plugin won't let me print from it either; and it keeps crashing unless I use it in an IE Tab. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points