Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash & IOS - totally fed up with Adobe

Mar 2, 2012 5:06 PM

I have a Mac and a PC - yay.

I have apple specific stuff on the Mac, everything else on the PC.

My Adobe software is all on the PC. I like using the PC - bigger screen than the Macbook.

Problem is that Adobe is effectively forcing me to use the MacBook.

Now I can use Flash to build cross-platform stuff from my PC, but I have to create all the certificates and profiles on the PC.

If I want to do IOS development on the Mac I have to generate new certificates and profiles.

So switching between using flash/Flash Builder on a PC and native development on a MAc means continually regenerating certificates.

The only solution to this seems to be to switch my entire Adobe suite to Mac.

If I had a desktop and PC latop, I could install on both, but not a PC and a MacBook.

I am totally fed up with Adobe for this stupidity.

If anyone knows differrent about the need to regenerate everything according to platform, please tell me.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to pauland

I have always used a .p12 generated off my imac on the PC. I downloaded openSSL and made my own .p12 on the PC as well (what a pain) but I see no reason to go through that when keychain will create it for you in 2 seconds. Request cert, send to ios provision portal, receive *.cer, install in keychain access, export .p12, copy to PC. No issue at all.

I myself choose a PC as I need faster hardware. I see no reason you need to leave your preferred development environment for provisioning or certificates.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 8:03 AM   in reply to pauland

Any more specific info? I don't even have any Adobe software on the iMac, I just use it for XCode and outputting .p12 files essentially. I assure you Flash Pro CS5.5 and Flash Builder 4.6 accept the p12 file generated from the mac without any issue. You should not be recreating anything at all between environments.

If you get any specific error feel free to post it here. Chances are it will be an issue with something else.

One thought is, as you nuke/regen your certificate you don't automatically assign your provisioning back to that certificate. So you'd need to go into each provision and select the newly generated certificate. When you look at your certificate and roll down what profiles are applied to it you need to make sure your app is properly applied to it. As long as it is you can generate the p12 from that.

If you add a new project, you NEED to make sure you select that certificate as you provision your new app and then simply re-download the certificate and generate a new p12 to make sure that p12 has the new app in it.

For a company that claims simplificty is their fortey, apple made their whole provisioning system insanely complex for new users.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to pauland

Their system needs work but overall I think they just design everything to be as difficult as possible not to buy a Mac .

Glad it worked for you! Good luck.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points