Skip navigation
Sparkle101
Currently Being Moderated

CR2 to .dng

Mar 3, 2012 2:39 PM

Since my CR2 image files will open in Camera Raw, I am confused as to why I am converting them to .dng files.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 3, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to Sparkle101

Do you mean you want to know why the Save button is doing that for you? Everyone gets confused by that. It's the DNG converter. To save in an image format click Open instead, and then save in the format of your choice in the Editor.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Mar 4, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to Sparkle101

The XMP file contains your raw edits. The advantage of DNG is that everything is contained within the file headroom; so no XMP sidecar is necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to Sparkle101

You don't need to, unless you want to. When DNG first came out the idea was that everyone would stop using proprietary raw files (with the ever-present worry about losing support for your images when they got too old) because DNG would be a universal replacement. It hasn't worked out that way and many people who were very enthusiastic about it at first are much cooler to the format now.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Mar 4, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

I always convert my CR2 to DNG. The results are superb in all Adobe applications. The files also take up less room on the hard drive which can save a tremendous amount of capacity if you always shoot raw. I keep my CR2 files as backups on an external hard drive/DVD.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to Sparkle101

If you don't want to do the work to convert to DNG, then don't. I never convert. There are advantages and disadvantages ... you are trading off doing the work, versus saving disk space, or vice versa, not doing the work and having photos that take up somewhat more disk space.

I think the concern about long-term viability of the image format is baloney. I have no fears at all that Adobe software (and other software) will someday fail to read my RAW photos.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Mar 4, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to 99jon

The other big advantage of a DNG workflow is that you don’t have to keep upgrading the software every time you get a new camera. DNG is totally backward and forward compatible.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 8:59 AM   in reply to 99jon

99jon wrote:

The other big advantage of a DNG workflow is that you don’t have to keep upgrading the software every time you get a new camera. DNG is totally backward and forward compatible.

You may have to upgrade the DNG Conversion software when you get a new camera. However, the upgrade is free.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points