Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

A universal video format for iOS and Android?

Jan 24, 2012 8:38 AM

Hello

I have open the Folio that I have originally made for the iPad on a Samsung Galaxy Tab and I see a lot of differences in the way videos are played.

It seems that for the iPad I need to always use the H264 codec, but on a Samsung galaxy tablet this is not the good way to do it. After various tests I see that I must use the F4V format (which uses the H264 codec) in Adobe Media Encoder CS5.5

The problem is that F4V with the H264 codec can't be read on the iPad.

Thus...

- Or there is only one method to create video files that can be read on iOS and Android and it would be great if somebody can tell me which app and which presets to use...

- Or we must always create two different video exports, one for iOS and the other one for Android.

In DPS' s user manual, this issue is not covered.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to blackmountain-agency

+1 for handbrake.  Mine defaults to the m4v format, so not sure about the issue there.  Also, m4v imports into InDesign just fine.  When you go to place the vid, select ALL FILES instead of importable files, then select your m4v.  It will show up in your comp.

I also see posts around the net saying that m4v won't work with Android, which is not true.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to landrvr1

Use tje adobe media encoder for fine tuning codec settings .

For fast conversion I use Miro video converter.

Mp4 encoded with h.264 work fine on iPad and android.

(mobil gesendet)

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Jan 26, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Johannes

Could you please show us a screenshot of your settings in Adobe Media Encoder. I have never successfully encoded an H264 that will work on the Samsung Galaxy.

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to Branislav Milic

If you use Handbrake and it generates an m4v file you can just change the name of the generated file --- "m4v" "to mp4". You don't need to re-encode. They are no different inside. Adobe Media Encoder works really well also.

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Jan 26, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to johnm64

johnm64, it seems you have not read this topic. I have read here in this topic about Handbrake and it works. But there are clients who can not decide what they can install on their computers but they have Adobe Media Encoder installed.

When I use Adobe Media Encoder, the video only works on the iPad but not on the Galaxy.

So you are two guys who say : "In AME it works". OK ! But make a screenshot of your settings and show it to us. Because just saying, it works will not help the community.

I also encourage the people who are writing the User Manual to better explain the settings that we must use in AME because it is just written "Use H264 and it works".

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to Branislav Milic

OK-- one example in detail: I have both an iPad (iOS) and a Kindle Fire (Android). I shot a video on my iPhone 4S and edited it in iMovie. iMovie exports the video as .mov. In Adobe Media Encoder I re-encoded the video as .mp4. I created a folio which I tested on both devices. The video played perfectly in each. The only difference is that The Kindle Fire only plays the video in full screen.

Possibly the Galaxy flavor of Android does not play nicely with mp4?

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Jan 26, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to johnm64

Is it possible to make a screenshot of your settings in Adobe Media Encoder. For example like this. Thank you.

screenshot 2012-01-27 at 00.49.13.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 5:48 PM   in reply to Branislav Milic

your settings look ok.

if you still have problems, try transcoding with miro converter.

my AME settings:

Bildschirmfoto 2012-01-27 um 02.47.10.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Jan 26, 2012 11:13 PM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

Adobe, these Adobe Media Encoder CS5.5 settings create a video that can't be read on a Samsung Galaxy.

Could you please do a test ? Thank you !

screenshot 2012-01-27 at 08.11.03.png

screenshot 2012-01-27 at 08.11.07.png

screenshot 2012-01-27 at 08.11.16.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Jan 30, 2012 2:16 AM   in reply to Branislav Milic

Up

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Feb 3, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to Branislav Milic

Re Up

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Feb 17, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to Branislav Milic

Re Up again.

What do I need to do to have an answer to a basic question and a necessary issue ? To buy and Adobe DPS Pro licence ? ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to Branislav Milic

Try making it a standard video size like 1280x720 without changing anything else in your settings.  If that works then you know it has something to do with the pixel dimensions.  Video players can be quirky about odd pixel dimensions, they like standards.

I would also try starting fresh with the H.264 preset.   Sometimes you can roll over and change one of the settings(like profile) unintentionally.

Can you play other H.264 files successfully on the Galaxy?  Can you transfer the mp4 file you create directly to the device and try to play it with just the device's OS?

Andrew

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Feb 17, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to Andrew Smith

Does that mean that even if the video has smaller dimensions I need to put them in 1280x720 ? Because the client tells me : the videos can be small so the app's size does not bloat.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to Branislav Milic

Branislav Milic wrote:

Re Up again.

What do I need to do to have an answer to a basic question and a necessary issue ? To buy and Adobe DPS Pro licence ? ;-)

Well, you should also know that in addition to getting your questions answered more promptly, Adobe has top secret 'DPS Pro/Enterprise Lounges' in several major cities.  These are not unlike 1st Class Lounges that can be found in airlines.  You get free beer, pretzels, and free wifi.

Okay, now getting serious:

1. HAVE YOU TRIED HANDBRAKE TO ENCODE THE VIDEO?  If not, stop whatever you're doing and give it a try.  Conversion software is not all the same.  Adobe's H.264 is better than it's ever been, but it's a pretty well-known fact that Handbrake is the BEST encoder out there for mp4/H.264.  Relying on Adobe to always give you satisfactory results for video conversion is FOLLY. 

2. I've read in several places the Galaxy has trouble with mp4 files.  There's not a million threads with this news; actually only a handful.  Nonetheless, the news is out there.  I created mp4 files for viewing on a Motorola Xoom and they played FLAWLESSLY.  That's the trouble with the Android platform - every manufacturer is free to mess with the code and put their own wrapper over the OS.  Things get messed up, and consistency of platform becomes a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to Branislav Milic

I'm just trying to help you with troubleshooting steps.  Since most people aren't having the same problem it may be an encoder setting, or it may be your device.  Once you figure out what the problem is then you can worry about overcoming the limitations of your device and/or Adobe's DPS system to best meet your client's needs.

Try getting it to work any way you can.  Don't assume that your target device is perfect, it has limitations and issues too.  Find out what format of videos the target device does play back and try using that.  Try using Handbrake as landrvr1 suggested.  Something about what you're doing isn't working so keep at it until you figure out what's wrong.  Trial and error is the only way you'll know for sure, we can't really tell you since we aren't using your files on your device.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to blackmountain-agency

Andrew makes great suggestions...ESPECIALLY the one about simply trying to play the mp4 file within the Galaxy's media/video player.  If that doesn't work, that's going to tell you a lot....

He's also right on about starting with a fresh preset.  I'd do H.264, then AppleTV 720p.  Change to PAL if need be, but don't mess with anything else.  A VBR 1-pass is more than sufficient for these devices.  Also, checking 'Use Maximum Render Quality' is a bit of a trainwreck setting - yielding unpredictable results.  I've absolutely never seen that setting IMPROVE the quality of anything - regardless of the footage type or source.  I have, however, seen it mess out the output.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to landrvr1

Bran,

landrvr1 is absolutely right about Handbrake. Even if working only with iPad apps – it's a great tool. And fast.

But beware, it forces users to drink excessively – every time it ends enconding of a movie it orders you to "put down your coctail"...

Tomek

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Feb 17, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to Tomek Kuczborski

Hello guys

COULD YOU PLEASE read what I have written above !?

I know Handbrake, I used it for years, but the point is elsewhere. So please read fully my post before advising me to use Handbrake.

I will try the size issue. thank you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Feb 17, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Branislav Milic

I have already created mp4 using the default preset but unfortunately it does not play on my Samsung Galaxy tablet.

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Feb 17, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to Branislav Milic

In fact I can not use so-called "video standard sizes" because I have created a video cover for my FOLIO so it must be a custom size. Also if the client wants a specific video size, Handbrake does the job but I try to make Adobe the same thing with only one encoding in Adobe Media Encoder.

Will keep you updated.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to Branislav Milic

Branislav Milic wrote:

Hello guys

COULD YOU PLEASE read what I have written above !?

I know Handbrake, I used it for years, but the point is elsewhere. So please read fully my post before advising me to use Handbrake.

I will try the size issue. thank you.

I've read the post. I utterly and completely don't understand what difference it makes if you use Handbrake or AME???????  omg.  LOL.

But there are clients who can not decide what they can install on their computers but they have Adobe Media Encoder installed.

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?????   Again, no one seems to be following exactly WHY it's so important to use AME...  Are you creating templates or videos or material for other people to use?  Even if you were doing that...JUST TELL THEM TO USE HANDBRAKE.  IT'S FREE.

You've gotta explain the situation better.

|
    Mark as:
  • Branislav Milic
    177 posts
    Jan 12, 2010
    Feb 17, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to landrvr1

I can not install Handbrake on computers of public administrations without the approval of 3 authorities and fill a lot of paperwork. But they have CS5.5 licences.

Also in Handbrake it only works if we use the iPhone preset, it does not work with the iPad preset. The quality of the video is lower and does not meet the result of what I can have on the iPad using AME.

If you don't understand that then you will never work with major institutions.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to Branislav Milic

Oh my.

Okay, well, did you try the straight forward video test?  Does an mp4 file play in the Galaxy's media player?

Did you try this test yet?:

I'd do H.264, then AppleTV 720p.  Change to PAL if need be, but don't mess with anything else.  A VBR 1-pass is more than sufficient for these devices.  Also, checking 'Use Maximum Render Quality' is a bit of a trainwreck setting - yielding unpredictable results.  I've absolutely never seen that setting IMPROVE the quality of anything - regardless of the footage type or source.  I have, however, seen it mess out the output.

Do that test.  Make sure you only have 1 pass specified, and uncheck Max Render Quality.

If the resulting video from that test won't at least play properly in the Galaxy media player, you should simply stop trying now because the OS is flawed.  You might as well beat your head against the wall for all the good it's gonna do....

I'm reaching out to some people in our organization to see if anyone has a Galaxy and is willing to load one of my folios and test the video.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to Branislav Milic

I never used any supplied presets yet. Trial and error, save preset – and it works.

With public administration, yes – it might be a huge problem. I am my own boss, happily.

The last thing I would like to do would be to work with a major EU institution;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to blackmountain-agency

Adobe have been worse than useless in resolving the video issue with our magazine on Android. It works when viewed using the Adobe Content Viewer on a Zoom but not on the same device once it has gone through the production process!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 3:23 AM   in reply to Graham Davis

HI
    I got the correct settings on my h264 videos but it still does not work when i try to launch them full screen.

DId someone find the trick ?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to jbalmain

Hi everyone

Did someone had finally a video playing smoothly on the Galaxy Tab ? And which format

I have try the MP4 and even the JPG SEQ but it is still not smooth, feel like the video is jumping or bugging

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:09 AM   in reply to minia92

alright, I tried like 100 dirrent things and here's something that works.

I put my video in After Effects (so I guess you can do the same with media encoder, but at least here I'm SURE it works fine)

Put your video in a 1280*720 comp
    resize it as you want inside the comp

then render with these settings (ok it's in French but just transpose in the boxes)

galaxytab_video.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points