Skip navigation
frosts0
Currently Being Moderated

some dng's work on snow leopard, some don't?

Oct 6, 2010 10:34 PM

For the dng files I created with Lightroom 1.4.1 (importing .CR2 as dng), Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.4) is able to display a preview thumbnail in Finder and to open the files in Preview. It seems that no matter which backward compatibility options I select in DNG converter 6.2 (converting Panasonic .RW2), the resulting dng's cannot be previewed in Finder or opened in Preview. What gives? Is there a way to find out what kind of dng files are the ones that do work? I wish there was a way to find out exactly what flavor of dng (which specification, compressed or not, linear or not, etc.) a particular dng file is.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 7, 2010 11:05 AM   in reply to frosts0

Hi,

Can you send me a link to one of your RW2 files?

Thanks,

David

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 4:00 PM   in reply to dfranzen_adobe

I have the same problem, has this been resolved? I would be happy to provide a RW2 file. I'm using Lightroom 3 to convert RW2 to DNG.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 6:47 PM   in reply to dtuttle72

Which software and version are you using to try to read the DNGs?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Um, I guess I'd have to say that it's the OS X Finder (Snow Leopard 10.6.11) and Preview.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to dtuttle72

Try choosing an older DNG compatibility version (e.g., 4.6) in the preferences.  And try unchecking the "Embed Fast Load Data" option.

(The Finder and Preview don't currently support DNG 1.3 specification, and may be mistaking the fast load data as raw image data.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points