Skip navigation
djhubba
Currently Being Moderated

Audition CS5 unable to open MP3 files that it has created - HUH?

Mar 4, 2012 11:08 PM

OK Gang,

Hello to y'all, and please be patient and gentle....

A little (long winded) background might help...

I've been a Windows User since '95 was released - prior to '95 I'd never used a PC.

As a full time Professional DJ of 35 years, I slowly moved into the digital realm about 3yrs ago, and have progressed steadily through various Windows PC's, every Win OS from Win2K through to Win7 64bit, and various software packages aimed at the Professional DJ - until last week - when I finally gave up on Windows PC's combined with Commercial Audio/DJ applications that meet the demanding needs of a live performance.

I now own a MAC!!

@#$%ING BEST MOVE I HAVE EVER MADE, AND SHOULD HAVE DONE IT A LONG TIME AGO!!!

Anyway, my DJ Applications run like a Mack Truck on steroids, the MAC itself just idles along like it's on a stroll through the park, and my mind is now 100% on the job instead of constantly worrying about the performance issues of my hardware.

My ONLY dissapointment, is what appears to be a severe lack of great audio editing applications for the MAC Platform.

I need a multitrack, effects, etc etc and above all MP3 support.

My weapon of choice over the last 12-15 years, as been Cool Edit Pro [which i've noted, gets a mention in this forum regularly] and upgraded until it couldn't be upgraded anymore - it has had, and has done, everything I have ever needed and needed to do.

So, in my research into a suitable application for the MAC Platform, I've discovered a couple of choices, and before investing in USB Dongles to try out software, I thought Audition would be the go.

I'm fairly familiar with Adobe Products in the Web Development and Graphics area, and thought it would be a good place to start.....

NOW TO THE PROBLEM...

I'm trialing Audition CS5, and my first task was to delete silence at the start and end of MP3 tracks - yes there are apps that can batch process this task, however, they ARE unreliable and tend to delete actual audio - all was fine for a while, just drag the file into Audition, it would open, I'd cut what was needed, save the file, and move on to the next - great stuff to do on a Sunday afternoon.

Then, with one file, I realised I should have repaired the fade out, and dragged it back into Audition, only to get this error message "File not supported by any currently registered plug-ins"

Every MP3 file edited and saved in Audition, yields the same result. Yet if Audition hasn't edited & saved it, the file can be opened and played in Audition as often as I please.

Audition's features/specs all state that it supports MP3's, so what is this all about??

Rather than just "save" the file, I have even "saved as" and created a new file, thinking that Audition may need to use it's own MP3 thingy's behind the scenes - but no luck.

Fortunately the edited files all run smoothly in Traktor Scratch Pro, and my time hasn't been lost....

SO....

Has anybody got any ideas?

Coz, I aint got a clue!

Cheers, and thanks in advance,

Brad

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2012 3:35 AM   in reply to djhubba

I can't answer your actual problem but just a reminder that when you drag an mp3 into Audition it is decompressed into .wav format. Therefore when you save it again as mp3 it gets recompressed loosing you another chunk of audio information in the process I'm afraid.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 5:18 AM   in reply to ryclark

On PCs you can also get a situation where a file (mp3 wave or whatever) is saved with the wrong file extension (usually because you--well me--accidentally  put a dot in the name and Audition thinks everything after that is the file type.  Dunno if this can also happen to a Mac but, if so, the solution is to simply rename the file outside Audition.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to djhubba

Well, I guess anything is possible but I've been using Audition (and Cool Edit before it) for many years and never had a corrupted MP3 other than the naming issue I mentioned above (and caused myself).  However, every time you run an MP3 through Audition, it's being converted to (in effect) a wave file then recompressed.  Even without the problems you're having, the compression artefacts will mount up pretty fast.

As for your question on wave files, if you buy one, run it through the Audition frequency analyser.  Most MP3 files have no information above 15 or 16 kHz whereas a wave should be full bandwidth.  Even if they decompress it, it would be hard to recreate the HF frequencies.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 5, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to djhubba

The whole situation is going to be made a little more frustrating, because the code behind all of this is Fraunhofer's, not Adobe's. Adobe has to licence the codec from them, so if anything weird is happening with it on a different platform it may not be their fault at all. But because so few of us are Mac users, the collective information available will be scant - unless the developers get a handle on it.

djhubba wrote:

I now own a MAC!!

@#$%ING BEST MOVE I HAVE EVER MADE, AND SHOULD HAVE DONE IT A LONG TIME AGO!!!

Anyway, my DJ Applications run like a Mack Truck on steroids, the MAC itself just idles along like it's on a stroll through the park, and my mind is now 100% on the job instead of constantly worrying about the performance issues of my hardware.

Well there's the thing - my experience of Macs has been completely different. Laptops with the power supply connection held on by a magnet? That's not a sensible approach to anything - the number I've now seen held on by gaffer tape is considerable. And functionally they've been anything but wonderful - they seem to get hung up just as much as any PC I've ever experienced. As far as performance issues with PCs are concerned - well with my DAW, which is a clean machine, I've never had any performance issues at all. In comparative tests, there's no real advantage with Mac OS over - well, at least XP (although I'm not so sure about anything since that...)

I'd say that with either platform, you need to keep your machine relatively clean if you want to retain performance. Nowadays there's very little difference in hardware terms - except that you are held to ransom by Apple's prices; it's all down to which OS you can cope with with least aggravation.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to djhubba

I'd be VERY interested in seeing one of these problem MP3's, if you could e-mail one that's giving you trouble to audbugs@adobe.com.  If you're able to grab a screenshot of the error message you receive when trying to open one, that would be great as well.  (On Mac: Shift+CMD+3 to grab a screenshot and save it to your desktop.) 

As for the topic of Macs, I agree that my Mac laptops have been easily the most stable, dependable systems I've owned.  To be fair, most of the non-Apple laptops I've owned have been Dell's, so it might not be a balanced comparison.  The original macbook I purchased in 2006 still works as good as it ever did.  I've only needed to replace the LCD inverter last year, and the stray keyboard key that my wife's cat plucked off while stretching her claws.  (Usually the "Q" and "7" keys.)  That said, I tend to baby them (the laptops and the cats) so they don't necessarily face the rigors of touring and location work that others might face.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 5, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to _durin_

_durin_ wrote:

To be fair, most of the non-Apple laptops I've owned have been Dell's, so it might not be a balanced comparison. 

ROTFLMAO!

As for the cats - well, I keep a fairly chunky compressor here, and one of the things it's very good at is blasting out all traces of cat and dust from computers. But, you do have to do this in the garden...

And as for the idea of touring cats - well, just thinking about this makes me shudder. Every time he goes just a mile down the road to the vets, it's a major upheaval, in which parts of one's anatomy can be in some danger. This is mainly because he's the size of a small lynx, and can definitely behave like one!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I'd have to take these cats if we went anywhere because one of them now requires two shots a day for the rest of her life (or as a friend suggested, one shot, once, forever..)  Oog. 

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 5, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to _durin_

_durin_ wrote:

(or as a friend suggested, one shot, once, forever..)  Oog. 

Hmm... you need friends like that?

Check your email...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 2:28 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

SteveG(AudioMasters) wrote:

for the cats - well, I keep a fairly chunky compressor here

Is that an original Neve or Pye compressor.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 1:18 AM   in reply to djhubba

On the secondary question about wave files...

By coincidence, I received a notification that, in honour of his birthday, David Gilmour was providing a free download of a track from his album "On an Island".

I went to his site and for the download they offered a choice of mp3 or wave--I selected wave.

Since I actually own the CD of On an Island, I compared the downloadable wave to the version on the CD and they were identical.  The upper frequencies of the downloaded wave were at 20k+.  By the usual trick of inverting one file and mixing them, I compared the wave from my CD and the download and the total cancellation proved them to be identical.

So...this only applies to a single track from a single source but the omens are good that downloaded waves are the real thing.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 6, 2012 2:12 AM   in reply to djhubba

djhubba wrote:

Re the WAV vs MP3 sitcom with the online sellers - you've given me a way to test my thoughts on the matter. The frequency analyser will answer all by comparing a new WAV and a new MP3 of the same song...

That technique works fine - and if you find wav files that appear to cut off at about 16k in a fairly abrupt way, you can demand a refund! You don't need the MP3 at all - if the noise floor between 16 and 20k appears to bounce up and down a bit, with nothing that looks like signals in it, then it will almost certainly have come from one. Certainly won't have come from a normal CD master, that's for sure.

I do think that it would be rather cynical and indeed stupid of vendors to provide decoded MP3s as wav files when it's so easy to check...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points