Skip navigation
george bardmesser
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat spontaneously tries to do OCR

Mar 5, 2012 12:35 PM

Whenever I open a pdf document, Adobe Acrobat Standard 9.5.0 tries to do an OCR on it (without my asking for it) - even on pdf documents that have already been OCR'ed.  And then, usually, it will try to do it again and again.  How do I disable this spontaneous OCR?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2012 6:09 AM   in reply to george bardmesser

Acrobat doesn't automatically initiated OCR; however, it will initial a process similar to this for reading your doument out loud. Try turning off View > Read Out Loud > Deactivate Read Out Loud. Also try disabling any system devices you may have turned on for reading out loud.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to george bardmesser

Do you have any system narration tools turned on - like Microsft Narrator? If so, have you tried turning them off? Something is automatically triggering Acrobat into thinking that you need to read this content so it's attempting OCR (probably because the PDF is a scan) so that the content can be read.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to george bardmesser

This post is a bit late, but I had the same problem that only started once I activated the Windows Speech Recognition, when its runnung in the background I get the prompts from Acrobat, when I "Exit" the WSR, the Acrobat Read Out Loud stops prompting

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points