Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Video Stuttering during capture

Mar 3, 2012 5:19 PM

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I cannot seem to find it; hope someone will help.

I am capturing old VHS tapes using Premiere 10 media capture via a Canopus ADVC55.  The clips I'm transferring suffer from stuttering during capture (approx every 1 sec).  I seem to remember that this indicated a timing issue from stretched tape or something.  I hate to think that's the case.  Could it be anythng else, and is there a workaround? 

Thanks,

Julian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 3, 2012 6:18 PM   in reply to julianelliott

Go to the Capture space's Device Control (under the >> button in the upper right) and make sure Device Control is set to None.

Also, in those preferences, go to Capture and uncheck Abort Capture on Dropped Frames, Report Dropped Frames and Use Device Timecode.

Back in the Capture area, make sure you do not have the program set to Split Scenes either on Timecode or Content.

Since you are capturing through a device, you do not have device control of timecodes.

If that doesn't work, you may have some background process interrupting your capture. This could be your antivirus, an Auto Analyzer or Windows Indexing, depeding on how your computer is configured.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2012 8:36 PM   in reply to julianelliott

As well as what Steve said, FF all the way to the end of the tape, rewind, and then play... that will "sometimes" help if a tape has been sitting a long time

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to julianelliott

Can't guarantee the Diamond Video Capture video will work in Premiere Elements.

Open a clip in G Spot or MediaInfo and tell us which codec, frame rate and resolution it indicates.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 5:44 PM   in reply to julianelliott

I never use PE top capture anything - always only use it to edit existing files.

I use an old Sony SLV E270 VCR connected to the video input of an old Sony HCR 90 DV camera set on straigh thru mode. I connect the camera to the comnputer with firewire.

Many of my tapes were 20 years old. They are all PAL and made on a variety of old cameras

Then I use Captureflex software to capture the camera to a file with excellent results.

Then I import this file into PE9. It plays with no jitters at all.

If I use PE9 to capture from the camera I get a lot of jitters with every slight flick on the tape.

I suspect Captureflex inserts a few previous frames to mask any instability. PE does not

Adding a bit of sharpening effect improves the old video a lot (about 10 to 15 %), Also check the brightness as often the old video brightness was 10 to 20% higher than that of todays DV

If you have a really bad patch of tape you can often insert a nearby scene from the video to hide it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to julianelliott

I've never heard of a video player (or any media source) not being good enough to work with a DV bridge. I can't imagine why it would make a difference.

Of course I don't know why it's using a Fraunhofer codec either. Shouldn't it be capturing your video as DV-AVIs?

Sorry I can't be of more help. I just don't know where the techs at Grass Valley are going with their suggestions.

Have you posted these questions to the Community Forum at http://Muvipix.com? There are a number of people there who use DV bridges and may have some wisdom to impart from their experience.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to julianelliott

Sort of like Neale's suggestion, I Play Forward the VHS tapes completely, and then Play in Reverse, to get back to 00;00;00;00. As some of the VHS tapes that I have had to deal with, have been poorly stored for many years, I do not use FF, and Rewind, as I do not want to stress those old tapes. The Play Forward, and Play Reverse is more gentle, and will often help with "hub bump," which is a distention of the tape, especially near the hub, from prolonged storage. That process takes much longer, and there is a tiny bit of head wear, but with potentially fragile tapes, I find that it works very well. I use the Canopus 300 unit for Capture, and when doing so, have every unnecessary program/process turned off. I have never had any issue, even with very old VHS tapes.

Wish that I had more to offer, but good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 6:03 PM   in reply to julianelliott

There are many other posts on other forums about a good camera being better than a budget priced converter. After all PE is designed to work best on a standard Sony type DV camera AVI.

The only thing better would be a professional unit costing many thousands of dollars as used in some TV statons. These have digital dropout and timeing errors corrections only possible be storing up video in advance and inserting parts of the adjoining picture to mask any effects and other picture enhancers like found in a video version of Photoshop that can be done after the transfer by PE anyway.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points