• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not to retein text in the combobox widget

Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Just want to know any possiblity not to retein the text in the combobox widget? I am using Captivate 5.5. The current behavior is I select a value in the list of combobox on page A, and then I click a button to go to the next page B. When I am back to the page A, the value I just selected is there displayed in the combobox (as the selected value). I do not want to retein the text.

Thanks

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Someone should extend this widget, so that one is able to change the value of the associated variable. I have tried by all means without such an extension but no way.  Extending is possible, but I'm not a coder. Jim Leichliter did extend some other widgets to allow this functionality: radiobutton, checkbox and TextArea. I blogged about those extended widgets.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of Cp 5.5, the combobox widget and dropdown widget both have memory leaks and should not be used in a production environment.  Extending these isn't a good option, but building one from the ground up would be a solution.

Jim Leichliter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim, I remember you told me that some months ago and that was the reason I never published the third part of Widgets and Questions, where I would have explained dropdown, combobox and listbox widgets.

BTW, has the listbox also memory leaks?

Lieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Listbox should be ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your replies!

Sorry to hear this, but I am still wondering if you could help to re-code the combobox so that the value will not be reteined there. This will help me a lot. I noticed that there is a combobox.fla file. Is it the source file for this control?

By the way, I tried the listbox in my senario, it has the same problem with combobox (value of the variable and the value displayed/selected are not match). However, it looks better as users would not be that confused as when they see the combobox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, just like the other two widgets the Listbox widget should be modified to allow control over the variable showing up like Jim did for the other widgets. As I told, I have been trying with disabling/enabling hoping to reset the widgets but no way for the moment. About a better version, I recommend introducing a bug report about the memory leaks for the dropdown, combobox and a feature request to have all the widgets extended in the same way Jim realized for TextArea, radiobutton and checkboxes. I already did that...

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Could you let me know normally how long such a bug could be fixed after submitting the report? We actually need to release a tool (created by CP5.5) by the end of March, 2012.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh no! There is no guarantee whatsoever that this bug will be fixed soon. All depends on the priority list of the developers. If you really need this, you should find a Flash developer that creates the widget for you, sorry for that.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Niuya.  It doesn't work like that.

You submit a bug report (or in this case, it's more likely to be an Enhancement Request) and then Adobe will decide whether or not to do anything about it.

One thing I feel fairly certain I can guarantee you...It WON'T be fixed by Adobe before the end of this month.  So if this component was essential to your current project, you need to have an alternate strategy that DOES NOT require Adobe to come to the party within the next few weeks or months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, we will try other alternatives. One more question, how can I know the bug is fixed? Are you going to inform CP users about the improvement, enhancement, etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to misunderstand who we are! Rod and me are just users like you, trying to help other users. We are NOT working for Adobe at all...

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! So surprised to know it! You are really like the CP experts working in Adobe. So sorry for bothering you, and very much appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, could you tell me the URL of the blog containing those extended widgets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In those blog posts, you'll find the direct link to Jim's (FREE) widgets:

TextArea widget extended

Extended widgets for ...

If you are not yet fed up with me:

Source list: Widgets and Custom Questions

Tips for Widgets

I'm planning a second part for the last post, about the Listbox and Vivid Text Caption widgets.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! These are fantastic resources. So good to know them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more question

When will a 'robust' combobox/dropdown list widget be released? Any plan?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources