Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

LR4 Unuseable  Having to use LR3

Mar 6, 2012 5:15 AM

LR4  Very Very Slow. Everything takes an age to apply. Nothing happens in real time as was the case Lightroom 3.  Not Responding message  seems to be permantely on.  What has happened? 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to terry275

The word "age" could mean anything from a year to a few milliseconds, depending on the person.

LR4 is slower on rendering operations than LR3 due to the new processing engine.  However, I've used it a lot an at least on moderate to state-of-the-art hardware, it's still pretty fast - far, far from unusable.

You need to be more specific on what is slow and how slow it is for us to figure out if you actually have a problem or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

I have the same problem and I suspect this is only going to improve with an upgrade in hardware. Very slow in comparison with LR3 especially when you start using the adjustment brush and the like. I was also getting a lot of "not responding". As I say, I suspect you have to have up to date equipment to run this comfortably. Windows 7, 32 bit, 3.5 Gb RAM not good enough. Looks like we'll need 64 bit and at least 8 Gb of RAM. Quite disappointing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 6:16 AM   in reply to terry275

I just tested Lr4 with my huge catalog and I'm extremely dissatisfied. Painfully slow and sluggish. My machine is intel i5, 8gb ram, sata3 hard drives. There's simply no reason for LR4 being this slow other than being poorly optimized. Adobe won't see me buying this unpolished thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to terry275

terry275 wrote:

The develop module is very slow.  The noise reduction is like watching paint dry.  The whole develop module does not respond in real time.  Delays are in seconds not milli seconds. The NOT RESPONDING message is annoyingly frequent when it is obvious from the delays experienced that it is not responding and has on one occasion actually gone into a repetitive cycle and had to be closed via the task manager in windows.    I have never complained about any adobe product before but there is something very wrong with this one.

Okay, I'm using LR4 on my Core-i5 dual-core 13" laptop running an external 24" monitor, and it's nowhere near seconds.  Perhaps 200ms or so between frames.

A couple of things to try - turn off lens profile corrections and turn off auto CA correction.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points