Skip navigation
Testacom
Currently Being Moderated

create an index based on style tags ???

Mar 6, 2012 7:59 AM

Ive been searching for this solution.

We produce an annual directory of about 600 companies, separated into about 40 separate sections (categories) spread out over maybe 80 pages. Each company name is either tagged “SubHead1” or SubHead2” – I need to create an index of these two style tags.

I cant seem to figure this out!

Until this year, this was done in PageMaker 7 and it was easy.

We use InDesign to produce the multiple monthly publications but never once for a directory and our department people are all confused at the task of creating this very simple index based on 2 Style tags.

PLEASE HELP!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to Testacom

What you want to do is create a Table of Contents, rather than an Index. TOC is driven by paragraph styles, and can be ordered alphabetically.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yep, use a TOC.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to Testacom

We produce an annual directory of about 600 companies, separated into about 40 separate sections (categories) spread out over maybe 80 pages. Each company name is either tagged “SubHead1” or SubHead2” – I need to create an index of these two style tags.

You mean "paragraph style" when you say "style tags," right? If so, then the TOC method is probably your best bet. There's a remote chance that you mean "character styles" or "XML tags" or "markup in IDML" or "We were using the XTags plugin in PageMaker" or whatever; if that's the case, then the TOC probably won't work for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Testacom
    Ive been following this and the answer this is not clear. What yim doign is simple, why is so difficult?!

Company names are character styled either Subhead1 or Subhead2.

Well, the TOC tool picks up paragraph styles, not character styles.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to Testacom

I think that I have a solution for you - I didn't even test it, I just assumed that the Internet would tell me how to make an index from character styles in InDesign. Lo and behold:

http://indesignsecrets.com/building-an-index-using-character-styles-or -external-word-list.php

Give it a shot, don't give up if it doesn't work the first time out (especially if you're not familiar with scripting or with InDesign)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Testacom

Here's a GREP Query you can use to combine all the successive listings for each vendor into a single item:

Find:

^(.+ )([\d, ]+)\r\1([\d, ]+)$

Change:

$1$2, $3

This will list the name once, and separate all the page numbers with commas (it won't do x-y ranges, only commas, so you may still want to do somem anual editing). Thanks to Peter Kahrel for writing the Query for me several years ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

The forum does a terrible job of displaying that code.

After the .+ there should be a \s and another after each of the [\d, strings before the ], and there is no space between the parentheses.

There IS a space between $1$2, and $3.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I had forgotten yesterday that the query above only works on two lines at a time and that the other Peter also wrote a script to run it continuously until there are no more matches.

You can find that script at http://forums.adobe.com/message/3955951#3955951

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points