Skip navigation

Video doesn't import?

Jan 10, 2012 6:12 AM

Tags: #video #lightroom_4 #lr4
  Latest reply: cdrice999, Mar 6, 2012 10:17 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to +becs

anti-virus is not the problem here Becky. No videos import into Lightroom in Windows version, yet they import fine into Lightroom 3.  The beta gives me an error message saying "The movie files contain no video frames."

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to +becs

Checked my anti-virus (Avast) logs and vault/quarantine area -- none of those files have been flagged.  Disabled real-time Avast monitors and tried importing video again; I see the very same behavior (dynamiclinkmediaserver cpu spike, import hangs, etc).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to cdrice999

You wouild need to disable anti-virus and reinstall LR4 Beta to test Becky's suggestion.  The missing files are not making it into the directories on install.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to Rikk Flohr

That will work if the files are strictly in quarantine. If they were barred from disk inclusion in the beginning, a fresh install might pick them back up.  My previous post should have said 'May" not "Would"

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to paul_michael_kane

No dice here.

Completely removed LR4, rebooted clean, disabled all anti-virus services (Avast and SpyBot S&D in my case), installed LR4.  Tried import, same behavior.  Rebooted again clean, disabled all anti-virus, tried import, same behavior.  Rebooted again clean, left anti-virus running, tried import again, same behavior.

"same behavior" == Import hangs, dynamiclinkmediaserver process spikes and maintains 50% cpu constantly.  I eventually kill dynamiclinkmediaserver manually, and LR4 reports import failed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to cdrice999

(Win 7 Pro 64) Had a similar problem but resolved it:-

Standard issues to eliminate are antivirus, firewall.  Antivirus because it might have blocked the files during installation or at runtime, and firewall because the firewall can do funny things at times.

At some point during or shortly after the installation my Zone-alarms firewall popped up a message about a program wanting permission to access the internet and having been caught in the past by letting unknown programs access the internet I blocked it.  Turns out the program I blocked was dynamiclinkmediaserver which sounded like spyware to me.

Went into ZA and enabled access. Also went into the LR folder under program files and manually started the dynamicmedia applications (see above for link). That worked.

Rebooted the machine and it works now without the need for any manual intervention.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to bdi-cc

No dice here, either. Firewall is not the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to derekpell@gmail.com

The issue seems to be related to Win 7 64, but that might be irrelevant.

There are two facts we have in common. Firstly video isn't/wasn't working on certain environments and secondly the video module does work on others. This thread has suggested a few approaches including:

1) improper installation

2) reboot (it seems to be Windows affected predominantly)

3) firewall/anti-virus blocking elements

4) Quicktime version not being current (7.7.1??) or not being installed

5) dynamiclinkmediaserver and/or dynamicmediaserver not running or not installed

I would start with the easiest to check first:

1) is Quicktime installed and current

2) have the correct files been installed - see Becky's post earlier [

qtparser.dll

mc_dec_aac.dll [correction to her post avc vs acc?]

mc_config_avc.dll

mc_enc_dv.dll

mc_config_avc.dll]

3) has the AV/firewall quarantined/blocked those files or dynamiclinkmediaserver

4) are the following programs running (stone.pan post earlier) - PS: make sure all three processes Adobe QT32 server.exe, dynamiclinkmediaserver.exe and dynamiclinkmanager.exe are running

- dynamiclinkmediaserver (on Win7 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4\Support\DynamicLinkMediaServer\dynamiclinkmediaserver\1.0)

- dynamiclinkmanager (on Win7 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4\Support\DynamicLinkSupport\dynamiclink\CS6)

Mine didn't work at all. Then I unblocked my firewall and it just hung doing nothing. Then I did a full reboot and it works as expected on numerous formats from numerous sources.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to bdi-cc

We’re on the trail of a potential source of the problem.  I have some questions for those of you who are unable to import just .AVI files, but other video types import without issue.

1. What Language & Windows version are you running?
    2. Did you install Windows yourself, or did it come pre-installed from the manufacturer?
    3. Can you share your dxdiag information? 

To share dxdiag information, First go to the start menu, type dxdiag and press enter.

start dxdiag.png

Then, click the Save All Information button.  This will create a DxDiag.txt file.

SaveInfo.png

Finally, attach the DxDiag.txt file to your post when you respond.  If you don’t want to attach the file publically, you can send me a private message with the file contents (just click on my username below my icon to view the profile page, then click “send private message” under Actions (on the right).

Thanks,

Becky

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to +becs

Thanks, Becky!  I was starting to worry this issue was slipping under the radar.

1. English, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (6.1 build 7601)

2. Self/Custom purchase & install (not OEM)

3. Sending via PM

Update - I re-read your message and note you are looking for examples of users who *can* import other formats, but *not* avi.  I apologize -- I am in the "cannot import any video files at all" camp, so my example might not be relevant.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to +becs

Hi Becky,

1.       Windows 7 Ultimate, 6.1.7601 SP1 Build 7601 – installation language: English, Location: Danish (Denmark)

2.       Own install from Retail DVD

3.       Sending by PM

Erling

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to +becs

I still see the same video issue with the production 4.0 released yesterday.

Completely removed LR4-beta, rebooted clean, disabled all anti-virus services (Avast and SpyBot S&D in my case), installed LR4.  Tried import, same behavior.  Rebooted again clean, disabled all anti-virus, tried import, same behavior.  Rebooted again clean, left anti-virus running, tried import again, same behavior.

"same behavior" == Import hangs, dynamiclinkmediaserver process spikes and maintains 50% cpu constantly.  I eventually kill dynamiclinkmediaserver manually, and LR4 reports import failed.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points