• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NIK plugins are not working in LR 4

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the BETA version for some time and I did not see this problem until I installed the released version of LR 4

The problem is that I cannot edit the images using my plugis from NIK software. ( I bought the complete collection about 3 months ago)

In the Beta version it was still OK.

Only the export plugin works (HDR from nik)

Also when I try to install the plugin again it only shows that it is compatible with LR3.

I just bought LR4 (since it worked in the BETA version)

Hope they will fix this soon. I also sent a message to NIK software.

anyone else has seen this problem

regards

Andre

I use MAC OS-X 10.7.3

NIK plugins are the latest versions available.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

You're right about that. Regardless, at least Adobe has a fix now. The LR-4.1 upgrade was easy to install and has fixed the problem once and for all - I hope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 295 Replies 295
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Someone reported the following error message when launching Color Efex from LR 4 : "unexpected error performing command: bad argument #1 to 'lower' (string expected got nil)". Obviously a bad pointer passed to some function. Not sure whether he is using the latest vesion of Color Efex (currently checking this). No problem when running Color Efex from LR 3.6 on the same system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Samoreen,

I do not get any error. There is simply nothing happening when I choose to edit my image in one of the plgun-ins. No errors, so basicically as if I had not clicked anthing. I tried trough the pull down menus and the right click. No difference.

To verify:

I went back to the BETA of lightroom 4 and then it all works fine.

The re-installed the new " final" release of LR 4 and plugins do not work anymore.

I also tried re-installing and un-installing the plugins but no solution.

The problem is in the lightroom 4 release. The version I have is still a DEMO version since I have not recevied the bought version.

No reply from NIK either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same "unexpected error performing command: bad argument #1 to 'lower' (string expected got nil)" message when trying to "edit in".

No matter if it's Nik Software plugins (the latest versions) or DXO Filmpack (the latest version).

All of these plugins worked well in LR4 beta.

Windows 7 64-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi... So its not only me having problems with the L/R 4 and Nik compatability - or lack of.

Installed the whole lot at 10am this morning and at 21.00 pm I`ve had enough.. No response from Adobe or Nik support..

How can these people release this S/W with so little obvious testing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vincent, please define "No response from Adobe". We've been active on the forum here on this issue. Behind the scenes we are quite busy with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hELLO    

Not doubting your busy. No reponse means that the e-mail support from Adobe - for me so far - has been nil.

At the NEC Focus on Imaging show, the Demos showed L/R and Nik s/w working in harmony, with great results. So impressed was I , that I spent over £300 on s/w.

Only to find that it doesn`t work. And this problem appears to be wide spread. So as they say " Its really grating my cheese, at the moment "

How does s/w get released into the market from Nik that acts as a plug-in, when it most evidently doesn`t. Then they charge hundreds of pounds for it.

One would have thought that some testing would have occured to test the compatability of L/R 4 and the Nik collection.

My skills are not centered on IT or computer science: so I find this situation very frustating. I`ve got a PC with - for me - expensive s/w that is totally useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are workarounds to this issue: the person doing the demo probably had Photoshop installed, which prevents this issue from happening.

As for an email response, do you have a case number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Case Number ? Haven`t seen one, or recieved one. So that may explain part of the problem.

As for workarounds :  I don`t buy a car and expect to improvise a steering system. I`ve seen a workaround somewhere on this forum, and it lost me on point 2 of a 8 point list.

I`m not looking for a bodge, I think its fair to have a working solution available from the s/w suppliers, thats a simple download.

I bought the s/w to manipualte photo`s, not to study computer science.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and the demo was in Photoshop and lightroom. The demo I saw was in L/R, as was shown on the top LH of the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thanks for the response, but it 23.00 hours here and I`ve bin at this - on and off - since 11.00 hrs.. I`ve had enough. so any further response will not be read untill tomorrow in the am.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vincent Vincenzo wrote:

Not doubting your busy. No reponse means that the e-mail support from Adobe - for me so far - has been nil

Did you report the issue to Nik? That is a logical place to start - computer science skills or not. Nik responded to my late night report the very next morning, and directed me to this thread and the workarounds that were then being discussed.

Problem solving in the computer age demands more of us - the users - if we are to be effective in our use of the tools. Yes, software makers share the responsibility but we are not absolved of using our heads.

At the NEC Focus on Imaging show, the Demos showed L/R and Nik s/w working in harmony, with great results. So impressed was I , that I spent over £300 on s/w. Only to find that it doesn`t work. And this problem appears to be wide spread. So as they say " Its really grating my cheese, at the moment "

Yet clearly it does work and obviously you must have known before even coming to post here that there is or would be a solution, unless you are so negative on vendors so as to believe they would demonstrate a solution that they had no intent to make good on.

How does s/w get released into the market from Nik that acts as a plug-in, when it most evidently doesn`t. Then they charge hundreds of pounds for it.

One would have thought that some testing would have occured to test the compatability of L/R 4 and the Nik collection.

I am in the software industry myself and have been since the 80's and can think of a number of ways this situation, caused by a particular mix of software or in this case, lack thereof, could have played out. Yes, it probably ought to have been caught, especially by plugin developers like Nik. Such issues are routinely caught by quality assurance testers at companies like Adobe and Nik. Do QA catch every bug before a product ships? Never, such an effort is a near impossibliity for complex consumer software.

What matters most is how companies react to problems. Adobe and their plugin partners are clearly aware of the problem; a zero cost workaround (for anyone connected on the internet) exists; Adobe has committed to a fix in due course and has staff interacting with users on a public forum. You can't ask for much more than that.

Well you can ask, but that would be unreasonable.

My skills are not centered on IT or computer science: so I find this situation very frustating. I`ve got a PC with - for me - expensive s/w that is totally useless.

Your software is not useless.

To borrow your car analogy, if your new car gets a flat on a deserted road, do you rail on about the tire manufacturer or change the tire (a workaround)?

A temporary fix exists. If you are using a Mac the fix is as simple as installing some demo software. If you are on a Windows machine and can follow directions, a fix exists that would take but a couple minutes to proceed with. Or if you prefer to do neither, you can stew in your own juices and wait for an updated LR4 release or patch from Adobe.

A reasonable person will accept that nothing is perfect in the world of software, certainly not at consumer prices, and take advantage of the work of others and embrace the workarounds which have been discovered and proven.

What an unreasonable person might do we can only guess.

If you've been at this for twelve hours, you could have gone through the workaround and asked, politely, for assistance in doing so if you do not follow the directions appropriate for your operating system. That could have been done in hour one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT a Nik problem. It has been documented and admitted by Adobe to be an Adobe problem. Please read the history in the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the case you are addressing my last post, I'm not pointing a finger of blame at Nik or any other plugin vendor.

When I said "Yes, it probably ought to have been caught, especially by plugin developers like Nik" I'm not stating that the source of the problem lies in Nik's or any other plugin vendor's domain. What I am saying is that as a plugin developer, they are naturally motivated to catch integration issues as their primary business depends on these integration points. They have to be alert to such problems as a matter of course.

As this issue affects a wide range, if not all, third party plugins taking advantage of the "Edit in..." integration feature of Lightroom 4, I'd be surprised if Adobe had not received a number of contacts directly from plugin developers like Nik alerting them to the problem. They would not do so on a forum like this.

At any rate, I don't care about blame or causes. With more than 30 years in the IT industry behind me I can well guess at cause but it doesn't matter one bit. As I said earlier, what matters most is how vendors handle problems and Adobe has taken responsibility and users here have helpfully contributed their findings and workarounds exist. A good response from Adobe and good synergy among the user community - who could ask for more?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2012 Mar 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.. Some cool info. Thanks..

But I have to say, if a car I was driving gets a flat on a road: Thats called a breakdown. I didn``t buy the car, after being told its a great piece of kit, only to find it will not move due to crap tyres. So that analogy fails.

Anyway:

Being serious: I`m not an IT expert, I haven`t studied Computer science.  But a few people in this thread have mentioned a workover using CS5 download !! I assume they mean using the 15 day trial package. What happens after 15 days when the trial runns out?

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Is this a legit fix, or have I mis-understood the thread.

Gotta say, great response from everyone.. Nice to know I`m not the only one with L/R issues. And nice to know free speech still exists..

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's not a runing CS5 component (so I assume the workaround will work even after CS5-trial is out of date), but some missing library, configuration mssing in final LR4

I did it, it works, but to be honest, it's a strange workaround isn't it?

cheers

/Karl R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange indeed. Seems a little Heath Robinson to me.

So - please bear with me - If I go to the Adobe web site: Down load a trail CS5 which means I`m downloading Adobe PS CS5 extended on trail

The LR4 with Nik plugins start to function.

Do I need to first : Uninstall the Nik s/w ?

Appreciate the guidance.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Vincent :The Install of CS5 was the workaround for MAC OS X, the Windows Registry Update for Windows driven machines

in short as I understood ...

thanks for @rrr_hhh for posting the shortcut guide for Windows machines

cheers

Karl R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet, Adobe is moving on, touting the wonders of LR-4 as if nothing has happened. Even scott Kelby is having LR-4 classes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must be missing a point in your note that you must feel is obvious or self-evident, so I have to ask the question: Why wouldn't a training firm specializing in Adobe's products want to carry on training for Lightroom 4?

Should the entire planet grind to a halt every time a relatively minor bug is found in a software product? I'm afraid we'll be back to wooden clubs and caves in no time if that is the case... all significant software contains bugs. Lots of them. Some of them are even critical.

This one isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I welcome your comments and I can't understand why there its still much negative discussion about a minor inconvenience as we already have a work around. I am impressed by the new LR4, the new process PV2012, and the new functionality.

The workaround is a small inconvenience and I can wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm bothered that Adobe feels that installing a massive trial of a software I'll never use (and that I can't even download without installing their download helper which in turn requires yet another bit of software to be installed that I will never use) is a valid work around.  I mean how much HD space do you expect me to throw at this problem?

I too can wait on purchasing Lightroom 4.  I'm in the process of defecting to LR4 from that "other" photo processor although I've put that on hold for now.  And I say that not to be jerk, but to hopefully stoke a little bit more fire in hopefully getting a real resolution to this problem.  I'm not installing CS5 to make Lightroom a functional product.  If you can come up with Mac equivalent of the registry hack then that might be implementable.  Until then, I have the joys of exporting a TIFF, loading it up in Nik, saving it, and reimporting it back into Lightroom.  Do-able but a pain.  I have 22 days left in the trial - will there be a real fix before then?  If not, there's no sense in me continuing to bother with the trial since I'm not buying the full version without this fixed. 

LR4 produces better photos then I can get with my previous software; I want to use it.  This problem keeps me from using it.  Fix it please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given the issue appears not to be overly complex - a missing registry entry for Windows users, probably a missing component or two in the Mac build for OS X users - chances are pretty good that we'll see a fix out this month. Plugin vendors will thank them for that too.

lostsomewhere82 wrote:

I'm bothered that Adobe feels that installing a massive trial of a software I'll never use (and that I can't even download without installing their download helper which in turn requires yet another bit of software to be installed that I will never use) is a valid work around.  I mean how much HD space do you expect me to throw at this problem?

Is a download and install the only possible workaround for Mac users? Probably not. I'd argue that click and install is simple enough even if it does require a hefty download, but developing a simpler workaround may end up pulling the very resources needed to develop a permanent fix off that more important task. Adobe certainly will understand what needs doing - if anything the absence of another workaround coming out of Adobe to me is a sign that they know exactly what needs resolving in LR4 and that likely will translate to a fairly speedy *permanent* resolution.

So what would you want them to do - distract developer resources by diverting them to producing a short term workaround for a subset of their user base, or allow them to work on the product itself and get an update out that much more quickly? I'm sure you can guess where my vote lies.

Downloading a copy of Photoshop CS5 might seem to some like an excessive exercise to fix the problem on a temporary basis, but not me. I'd rather go that route than have to deal with manual TIFF export, edit, re-import as you are - for every single image processed. I already have to do that for another tool (not from Nik) that I use with LR4... given my experience with that product there's no way I would turn down a valid, easy to follow, workaround that allows me to use the very nice integration Nik and other plugin products have with Lightroom.

To me it seems far simpler to click a few times to download and install PS CS5 on a temporary basis and then get back to work. It's not like Adobe is twisting your arm to download PS CS5 in the vain hope that they'll get some sales from that... anyone thinking that should give their heads a wee shake.

Remember, the installation of PS CS5 is a temporary workaround. Once Adobe releases a patch or updated version with the fix, you'll be able to delete the PS CS5 "workaround" with no harm done. Disk space returned to its former glorious emptyness. 

So you have plenty of choices. (1) You can stick with your existing software which by your own admission doesn't do the job you wished it could do. (2) Or you can adopt the simple download / install / get back to it workaround. (3) Or you can stick to the manual TIFF export, edit, re-import cycle you are currently using with demo software until Adobe releases a permanent fix. And finally (4) you can simply choose not to buy LR and any third party plugins you are currently demoing. That last step seems a bit drastic given two useful and one easy workarounds exist to get you through the waiting period until the fix is released.

I use Silver Efex Pro 2 every day on a number of images, so my vote goes with option 2 without hesitation.

SEP2 and LR4 (and LR3!) are great products that really help my workflow. I suspect you'll find that too. Click on download and release the hounds!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with "awyvr" - option 2 is the easiest and I cannot do without Color Efex Pro 4 or Silver Efex Pro 2 in my workflow, small inconvenience for a great product that gives great results and with the small fix you get the convenience of automatic stacking ... no problems for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi..

I agree.

I get the impression that its bad mojo to complain about s/w these days. We - the customer - should be gratful that the s/w is available.

But in the last three years, I really increased my PC use. Its not only Adobe, Nik , Corel etc. But alot of the s/w requires some extra tweek to install or to function.

Some where in this thread, if I understood correctly, we could be waiting weeks for a patch / repair.  It really isn`t good enough.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines