Skip navigation
Luke H Miller VA
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4 Production error on "Edit In"

Mar 6, 2012 11:44 AM

Windows 7 64 bit.  The Edit In function does not work.  Does in 3.6 and 4 Beta, but not in the release version of 4.  I get the following error statement "Unexpected error performing command:bad argument #1 to 'lower' (string expected, got nil)"

This error applies to Photoshop CS5.5 as well.  No external editing allowed in LR 4 on my machine.

Anyone else seen this?  I've  done an uninstall/reinstall as well as deleting preferences and presets.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to Luke H Miller VA

Same issue here. Windows 7 64 bit. PS CS5.5 64 bit. LR 4 does not detect PS CS 5.5 as standard editor and no other external editor allowed (NIK, PSE, ...).

Same error message: "Unexpected error performing command:bad argument #1 to 'lower' (string expected, got nil)"

Frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 12:32 PM   in reply to hjklemenz

Strange!

I deinstalled Photoshop CS5.1 and reinstalled it ... and now ... everything is fine ... incl. NIK, PSE.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to Luke H Miller VA

I don't even have CS5 but still have the same problem.  I only have LR4.  Just FYI for everyone.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 2:30 PM   in reply to Luke H Miller VA

Like calsteve, I don't have CS5 either and still have the problem - started antoher thread after getting very frustrated/upset with Adobe support.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to jeff_turkington

Has anyone tried uninstalling LR4 and then reinstalling again?  I am at my ropes end trying everything. 

Adobe MUST be aware of this problem and should be respoding with "something" soon.

NIK site on Facebook says the updates are out and everything works fine.............guess they need to check a little further.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to Luke H Miller VA

calsteve - that's exactly what I did with the same results in the end...  It's possible that this is a Nik problem but seems supicious that reinstalling CS5 resolves the problem and that this affects other external editors.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to jeff_turkington

I belong to a photo group club and I just talked on the phone with several of them.  We all use LR3 and all upgraded to LR4.  Some of them use other plugins than NIK but they all have the same problem so it does not

appear to be a NIK problem.  It appears to be Adobe.  Capture is one plugin used by several members.  They also have the same problem.  They all worked fine in LR3 and the LR4 Beta version but not the release version.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 3:00 PM   in reply to Luke H Miller VA

Hi,

Luke H Miller VA wrote:

Windows 7 64 bit.  The Edit In function does not work.  Does in 3.6 and 4 Beta, but not in the release version of 4.  I get the following error statement "Unexpected error performing command:bad argument #1 to 'lower' (string expected, got nil)"

This error message is typical of a "dangling pointer" problem (in developer parlance). The "lower" function which converts a character string to lowercase, receives an argument that is a pointer (memory address) to the character string that should be converted. In that case, the pointer is invalid or null. This kind of bug may or may not cause a crash depending of the value (wrong address) contained in the pointer variable. This is just a matter of memory layout. So the bug affects everybody but in some cases it has no consequences. In other cases, it causes a crash that the system may (Windows) or may not (Mac) notify to the user.

Typically, this kind of bug originates in "last moment changes" made to a piece of code that is not re-tested afterwards (it was not present in the beta version).

My two cents.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to Luke H Miller VA

If you're not Editing In Photoshop, what application are you using?

We've seen something like this in the past - the hooks to the Edit In application need to be replaced and reinstalling it works.

Has anyone else tried reinstalling the (non-Photoshop) application that they're using with Edit in?

Is everyone in Windows 7, or are you seeing this in other operating systems?

thanks for your help!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to Samoreen

What you said seems to make good sense but I wonder why Adobe can't take a minute to acknowledge this problem and update everyone in this forum and all the other places that the

error is being brought up so we know they are working on it.  I know I would be content to know they are at least "aware" of the problem by now.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to tinaTS

tinaTS, I have reinstalled NIK twice now with the latest updates from them.  People are seeing this in WIndows7 as well as Mac applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to tinaTS

Hi Tina,

In answer to your question, I have uninstalled Photoshop Elements 10 and reinstalled. I also downloaded the new version of Nik Silver Efex Pro.  I still cannot invoke ANY external editor (I have 8 listed).  I do not get any error message - it just fails to invoke the chosen external editor.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to tinaTS

tinaTS wrote:

Has anyone else tried reinstalling the (non-Photoshop) application that they're using with Edit in?

Someone did that here (I'm abroad) and the error is still there. You should look for a code change in the piece of code that manages the call to the external program. Since the error occurs when calling the "lower" function, it should not be difficult to spot the bug.

And all developers should be reminded that any code change has to be re-tested, especially when they are in a hurry and releasing a new major version.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to Luke H Miller VA

I have the same setup and am having the same error.  I have 8 plug-ins and none of them work.  Plug-ins work with Lightroom 3 and Beta 4, but not Lightroom 4.  I do not have CS5.  I tried deleting and reinstalling Lightroom 4 and also reinstalled a couple of plug-ins to no avail.  Hope this problem is corrected soon.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points