Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I crop/scale/rotate/overlay a .jpg picture with non-standard values

Mar 6, 2012 7:25 PM

I want to do the following to .jpg pictures:

1. Crop with white border to make picture look like a photograph (instead of only black).

2. Scale picture (with white border) to 70% of size.

3. Rotate cropped scaled picture 10 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise (instead of only +/-90).

4. Overlay the resulting picture on video.

I used to be able to do this with Adobe Premiere 6.5, but with Premiere Elements 10

I don't know how to do these steps. Any suggestions?

-- Frank

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2012 8:58 PM   in reply to VideoFrank

Frank,

For that "white," add a Color Matte and choose white.

For the Rotation, you can adjust the Fixed Effect>Rotation, to what you want.

To Corp, you can apply the Corp Effect and adjust it, as needed.

Now, based on what you have written, you will have filled the Video Frame, and that will "cover" any Video. You can create a PiP (Picture in Picture), and can use many of those Effects, but you need to allow for the Video below. This ARTICLE will talk about Rotating a PiP.

If that is what you want, then you will want to create a "frame" around the Still, and not use the full Color Matte, or Crop it heavily.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 4:54 AM   in reply to VideoFrank

Color Mattes are located under the New Item button on the Media panel.

Rotation is done in the Motion settings on the Properties panel, which can be opened by right-clicking on a clip on the timeline and selecting Show Properties. (I'm not sure where Bill is seeing the Fixed Effect either.)

Step by step instructions on most of these things can be found in my books, if you're interested, of course.

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 5:44 AM   in reply to VideoFrank

Frank,

The Fixed Effects are those Effects, that are automatically added to all Video (and Still Image) Clips. They are Motion>Scale and Motion>Position, Rotation and Opacity, with Volume appearing on any muxed Clip with Audio. These are easily accessed by either the Edit Effects button in the Effects Tab, with the Clip Selected in the Timeline, or via the Keyframe Display in the Timeline drop-down. I like Edit Effects better, as I find the "rubberbands" in the Clip Keyframes to be a tad bit kludgey, but many use that method, and never bother with Edit Effects - the choice is yours.

As Steve mentions, the Color Matte is found under the New Icon, along with Black Video, etc. One can alter the color in Color Matte to suit.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 5:50 AM   in reply to VideoFrank

Also, here is a "framed PiP" where a Filled Shape (in lieu of a Color Matte) was applied with the Titler, below the PiP. In this case, other Effects were applied to that Shape, but it could be just left alone, to provide a "framing element" below that PiP:

Framed_PiP.png

That PiP had both Motion>Scale and Motion>Position adusted (both Fixed Effects), and then the Crop Effect added. All of that, above the Filled Shape.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to VideoFrank

Frank,

It could be as simple as having SD 720 x 480 Standard 4:3 (PAR = 0.9), and Sharing to SD 720 x 480 Widescreen 16:9 (PAR = 1.2).

Without taking measurements, that is exactly what it appears - a mis-match between the Source File's PAR, and the Share setting.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points