Skip navigation
José María Calvo
Currently Being Moderated

Problems with dual screen in Lightroom 4

Mar 7, 2012 8:54 AM

I am getting very poor performance when using a secondary screen in Lightroom 4. I am using Lightroom 4 on a PC with  with Windows 7 64-bit on an Intel i7 860 @ 2.80 Ghz, 8 Mb RAM. Graphics card is a nVidia GE Force GTX 260 with updated drivers. Monitors are Samsung SyncMaster 226 and Asus ProArt 22". When in Develop module, the main screen, either on the Samsung or the Asus, goes randomly on and out. Sliders are quite sluggish, also, next to useless. Lightroom 3 works fine with the same catalog. Anybody knows a fix or a workaround?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to José María Calvo

This also happens on Mac OS X Lion, on a Mac Pro. LR3 was fine. My Mac Pro is of the first gen, so I don't expect completly lightening fast performance of it, but moving any slider with the second screen turned on gives me a beach ball. It's totally unusable. LR3 was perfectly fine with it.

I haven't tried with changing a RAW to PV2010 to see if it's something related to the new process, but I have the feeling it is not. I'll do that later and see how it goes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 11:21 PM   in reply to José María Calvo

A friend of mine made me a aware of this.  I just tested it out and with the second screen on its practically unusable in dual monitor mode for editing. It's also very delayed at starting up the second screen.  Running Windows 7x64 with core i7 930 @2.8GHz with 12 gigs of ram.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to José María Calvo

I'm seeing the same behaviour here with a dual-Xeon E5620 with 24GB of RAM and a decent video card running Win7 Pro x64. It's insanely annoying.

This shouldn't be happening (it definitely wasn't happening with any of the other versions of LR I've owned), and renders LR4 completely unusable in that mode. It works again if I disable the second monitor, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having bought two identical monitors for photo editing...

FWIW, I see lots of "Bezel" and "Shadow" items appearing and disappearing very quickly in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, and regions of the display turn completely black for a few seconds, usually the top half of the photo being edited. The controls are unusable during that time and the entire application feels like it's frozen for a good 5-10 seconds before it unfreezes. Then the whole process repeats itself within a few seconds.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to macourteau

I've seen some improvements when disabling the "autosave" to XMP, and also removing the previews and letting LR regenerate them. It's not as fast as LR3 was, but it seems better. In any case, I really hope Adobe is working on an update and releases it ASAP.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to nicolas_tbone

for me it´s unuseable because i can not force LR to use the correct monitor!

i don´t know why they have not improved that yet. other programs have no problems at all with my configuration.

i have a 2 monitor + 42" LCD TV setup and LR is showing the second screen on the TV.

i can´t change that.

one TFT and the LCD TV are connected to my 460 GTX and the other TFT is connected to the internal GPU of my Z68 motherboard (i need that connected to enable quicksync on my i7 2600k).

i want the second screen on the TFT.. the one that is connected to the internal GPU.

i have a LCD TV connected because it is nice for video editing. but it´s not color corrected like the TFT displays.

multi monitor support is really not a strength of LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

It's called "Deja vu". When LR3 was introduced performance was so poor that people had to turn off some panels just to be able to work. This new version is not THAT bad, but it ain't pretty either.

I can confirm that performance goes way down if you turn on the second monitor.

In LR3 every change is almost in real time on the second monitor. In LR4 I can count to 3 before the second monitor gets the idea.

All sliders are kind of sluggish as well. If the second monitor is turned off, things clearly getting better...

Cheers.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to José María Calvo

Some of the general speed issues being reported seem to depend on specific configurations. However, I have not read a single positive comment about using two monitors (with loupe view) in the develop module. I have some speed issues with LR4 on my system, but it is generally usable. However, with the second display in use, the performance drops to unusable levels.

If anyone is satisfied with the performance of his/her dual monitor setup in the develop module, it would be useful to report it here as well. It would be good to see if this issue indeed affects all configurations.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to José María Calvo

I also found Lightroom 4 unusable when using two monitors.

Computer configuration:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    16.0 GB Physical Memory (RAM) (4 x 4096MB DDRIII)
    1 x 240GB Kingmax SATAIII 2.5” Solid State Disk (Operating System, Programs Lightroom Catalogues & Caching)
    2 x 1000GB Seagate SATAIII 7200RPM Drives
    Nvidia GTX560TI 2048MB Graphics Card.

All hard drives are less than 30% full with no fragmentation of any files.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to José María Calvo

I can now confirm the dual monitor bug.  Editing grinds to a haltand sliders have a respionse time of 5 to 10 seconds, often resetting themselves repeatedly to Zero

It appears to happen when editing DNG files, but not JPGs here. I'll report back if I find any more details

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to José María Calvo

Just tried with a TIFF file and no problems usign the second monitor view. soon as I switched to editing a DNG File it all ground to halt again

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to John Spacey

John Spacey wrote:

Just tried with a TIFF file and no problems usign the second monitor view. soon as I switched to editing a DNG File it all ground to halt again

Interesting. Though I did not try that, it could actually make sense. Most of the adjustments should not be available in file formats other than RAW.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to CanonRAW_Shooter

Actually nearly all the adjustments are available in files other than RAW/DNG

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points