Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Premiere Elements 10 running sub-par or not?

Mar 6, 2012 8:06 AM

I am new to Adobe Premiere Elements 10 and I have a lot of questions after using it for the past 4 days and getting aquainted.  First off here are my system specifications:

HP Model h8-1214, 10GB PC3 10600 DDR3 SDRAM, 1.5TB hard drive, AMD FX 6100 6 -Core processor, AMD radeon 7450 HD graphics, Windows 7 64 bit.

This is supposed to be a top of the line computer and I was told it could handle video editing without any issues or hold ups after all best buy does not even carry higher end models then this one.  I am currently working on two projects the first is a re-edit of 1 hours worth of Mini DV footage already edited in windows movie maker.  The other is a 3 minute compilation of videos off my ipod nano.  All the video files are stored on a 500 GB Toshiba USB 2.0 external hard drive.  I have to say I am already experiencing hang ups, slow load time, NOT RESPONDING, and choppy footage when entering effects and titles.  Also just as a test I initially put 1.5 hours of 960P high deff footage off my GoPro and threw in some effects, transitions, and menu options to see if Adobe and my computer could handle it.  It did ok but it took almost 2.5 hours just to render and burn a single DVD. 

I am used to similar crap on my wifes 400 dollar laptop but what do I have to buy for this thing to get it to just not stutter and work right.  I am very angry at this point since I was excited that I could finally get a computer and not be held back by poor performance as I have been in the past.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

I will GUESS the ipod is like the iphone

Iphone won't edit http://forums.adobe.com/thread/881246

When you import video, before you do anything at all, do you have a red line over the timeline?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

You definitely should NOT have red lines above your miniDV footage!

Go to Edit/Project Settings. What video settings are shown?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

Those are not the correct settings for miniDV -- which probably explains your performance problems.

Start a new project and, for the settings, select DV. (There is both a standard and widescreen option.)

Your miniDV footage (captured over FireWire) should work wonderfully with those settings!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 7:17 PM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

Finding out exactly what is inside your video files will help you determine the correct settings

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-gree n-render-bars.html

Once you know exactly what it is you are editing, report back with that information... and your project setting, and if there is a red line above the video in the timeline, which indicates a mismatch between video and project

>thought it would work like an up-convert to higher resolution

No, you need to create a project that matches what you are editing

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 9:03 PM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

PrE does a poor job of up-converting. Most applications do a poor job, but many have found Red Giant's Magic Bullet Instant HD quite good. Test with the trial version of that progarm.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

It might be best to chase one issue at a time, bikercrze.

The miniDV footage issue should be pretty easy to resolve, if we focus on it.

Go Pro footage, however, is a whole different animal, and it's likely going to demand something of a hybrid solution.

If you set up a project for DV, can you use the miniDV footage in the project and NOT get red lines above the footage on the timeline?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

That's definitely not miniDV footage captured over a FireWire connection by Premiere Elements.

Are you sure it wasn't captured over USB, through some third-party software, or even through a digitizing device?

All indications are that it's some form MPEG.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

This video is "tainted" by whatever Arcsoft has done to it.

If you capture fresh miniDV video over a FireWire connection with Premiere Elements (or even WinDV) your video will be 100% compatible with a project set up for DV.

But these non-standard formats, including whatever ArcSoft created, are going to give you nothing but trouble.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 5:55 PM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

This is not miniDV video either. It's video from a DVD.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 6:09 PM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

The placement of the files onto DVD, or CD, would not have transformed the format/CODEC. As Steve points out, the file shown is an MPEG-2 in a VOB container, which is part of a DVD-Video. At some point, a DVD-Video was produced, and this VOB/MPEG-2 seems to be part of that.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 3:06 AM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

bikercrze1@aol.com wrote:

Since there is only two NTSC settings for MINI DV files, if I use one of them and get the green bar then all should be good and I wont need to find the CODEC for this one correct

If the setting is correct you shouldn't get a line of any colour. When you then add effects or transitions the line goes red and you can render by pressing [ENTER] after which the line goes green.

But the key to success is the first part - a correct project setting match should not display any lines when first placed on the timeline.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 3:19 AM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

This is the info from a bare clip unedited straight off the firewire from showbiz.  When I initially put just this clip in Elements there was no color at all.

That would mean the project setting you used was correct and ought to give you a good performance in PRE. The setting I would use for VOB clips is the NTSC> Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders> Standard 48kHz. Is that what you used?

1.png

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 3:21 AM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

GoPro is problematic as there is no matching project setting for it. This article may be helpful for you: Go-Pro Helmet Cam Footage Editing Tips

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

How can I make it so both of these files will fit in one project?

If you mean you want a Picture in Picture effect you place the clips on Video1 and Video2 and then adjust the size and position of the Video2 track using the clips Motion Properties.

If you mean you want to switch from one view to the other in a continuous timeline then you have to 'slice and dice' the clips to remove the unwanted parts. You could do this all within Video1 but personally I would put them on separate tracks and remove the unwanted parts from the appropriate track. This way you know exactly which camera the footage came from. The Split Clip (Ctrl+k) tool is your friend in this!

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

Is this all part of how Adobe works?  I want to be sure I am getting the full quality and performace out this system.

Yep that's normal. When you first add your clips you don't want to see any red above the clip(*) - that means your project setting is wrong. When you add an effect or transition, ie changing the way the end result will look, then the affected (and only the affected) part goes red. You can leave it red if you want - when you finally share your project the whole timeline is rendered regardless of the colour status. But if you want the preview to be a little smoother you can press [Enter] to render the red part - when finished they go green.

So providing your project setting is correct no lines mean the clip is as originally shot, red or green means the clip has had an effect or transition applied.

(*) Still photos though always come in with a red line.

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to bikercrze1@aol.com

So the question would be how do I add both Standard DV and an HD file to the same project timeline without having the red line problem.

You have two choices. Either downscale your HD footage to DV-AVI and then have both added into an SD project. If you want to do a DVD this is the best solution. Or, if you plan an HD output (Blu-Ray or AVCHD), you can add your SD footage to your HD project. It can then be pillar/letterboxed (staying as sharp as the original) or enlarged to fill the HD frame (this will produce some blurring).

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers