Skip navigation
cloparo1
Currently Being Moderated

No longer audio on .avi files when attempting to use Elements 9

Mar 4, 2012 9:31 AM

Tags: #elements_9

I have compiled 20 years of videos from family videos and converted them to .avi files.  I now want to edit these files into other smaller videos to give to my children.  I have Premiere Elements 9.  When I get one of these files using PE9 there is no longer audio on them. 

There is audio if I play them on Windows Media Player but no audio on Quicktime Player. 

I can edit in Windows Movie Maker but not in PE9.

The Quicktime Player states the following:

Format: Motion JPEG Open DML, 640 x 480, millions

Movie FPS 29.97

Playing FPS 29.97

Data Size 1.94 gb

Data Rate 8.67 mbits/sec

Normal Size 640 x 480 pixels

Current Size 640 x 480 pixels

I have a Dell Inspiron 530, 4.0 gb RAM, 32- Bit Windows Vista system.  Plenty of Hard Drive availability.

I purchased PE9 because I thought it would be superior to Windows Movie Maker.  Very frustrated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to cloparo1

MJPEG video isn't digested well in Premiere Elements.

Your best solution would be to edit the video in Windows MovieMaker, which is able to work with this type of file.

If you're determined to edit in Premiere Elements, you can try converting the file to a DV-AVI using the software and specs we describe in this FAQ.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to cloparo1

What camera produced the MJPEG files, wrapped in the AVI container?

The reason that I ask this, is because camera mfgrs. love to tweak CODEC's, and some take that tweaking to an extreme.

If you have the utility disc, that came with the camera, it is probably best to install their particular version of the MJPEG CODEC. The Morgan, or the MainConcept might work OK, but having the exact version, from the camera mfgr. will get you as close, as is possible, and will save having to buy an MJPEG CODEC, that might not be perfect.

Now, on that utility disc, one might have one of three possible choices:

1. The MJPEG CODEC might be a separate installation
    2. The MJPEG CODEC might install along with the camera's driver
    3. The MJPEG CODEC might install with an included editing/cataloguing program (most common nowadays), and even if you do not use that utility, having the proper version of the MJPEG CODEC installed on the system, will get you as close, as is possible

Good luck, and let us know if you have the utility disc for that camera.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to cloparo1

Carmen,

Since MJPEG is more often seen in camera files, I am not sure how you ended up with MJPEG files, that did not come directly from a camera.

Were the files converted via some software?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to cloparo1

OK, and thanks for that.

My guess would be that the conversion program is causing an issue. Do you have any other options, such as DV-AVI, instead of MJPEG?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to cloparo1

You should be using the DV conversion in AVS4U. I'm posting an image that you may not see if you are only using the email options. You may need to log in to the web forum to see it.

Format list here: http://onlinehelp.avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Converter/Features/Converting/ ConvertingtoFormat/supportedformats.aspx

1.png

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to cloparo1

Your source is VHS so its never going to be 'top quality' so try converting one of your MJPEGs to DV-AVI with AVS4U and see how it looks. If it looks OK stick with it. But if not I recommend you invest in a proper ADVC converter and capture the footage anew via FireWire. I use a Canopus ADVC-300 for all my VHS conversions. There is also an FAQ entry on ways to convert analog sources that you may find useful.

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to cloparo1

cloparo1 wrote:

It worked and looks great!  Thank you.

Any idea why the new .avi files are so much smaller than the old ones?

I'm pleased to hear it worked out for you.

The file size is down to the codec used and how compressed the data is.

DV-AVI runs at around 13GB per hour as it is virtually uncompressed. So if your original files were larger that must be down to the Motion JPEG Open DML codec you first mentioned.

When you Share the project file size depends on the output format you use. For example if you shared to a DVD then that is MPEG2 compressed and you can easily fit two hours of video footage to a single layer DVD (4.7GB) with reasonable quality. The DV-AVI files for that footage would be around 26GB.

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers