Skip navigation
wallmg35
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 7 crashes worse on faster computer

Mar 6, 2012 7:41 PM

Tags: #problem #premiere #crash #elements #7

I have been running Premiere Elements 7 for a few years with sketchy and slow, success on a straight Pentium 4 machine with about 1.2 GB of RAM. It would crash sometimes, and was really too slow to get any real work done, so I decided to install it on my once dedicated DAW, which has the following specs:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L MoBo; Q6600 processor; OCZ 4GB DDR2 800 RAM; Windows XP-32; Gina 3G soundcard; Asus EAH3450 graphics card (which is an ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series card) with 512MB Video RAM.

C drive is 75 GB WD Raptor. D drive is 600 GB drive.

On the faster computer, it's worse. It crashes all the time and the sound drops out ever few seconds.

I basically imported a photo into a new project and started getting "Running Low on Memory" messages, and then it crashed. In the lower left corner of the Premiere window, there was a Display Setting warning sign. So, going by what I found on the forum, I went into preferences and changed the Display setting to Standard (the second option). It was originally set on the first option.

I set my scratch disks on the larger drive, where my video elements also reside.

I set my virtual memory to be on this disc as well, at 8196 KB. Originally it was set at 8000 KB on Drive C.

I restarted and managed to get a video clip in there with a photo and did a couple of effects, then got the same low memory message. Also noticed that the Display Warning sign was in the corner as well. Whenever I try to play back something, the sound drops out every few seconds and comes back in.

This makes no sense to me.

The video was shot on a Sony Bloggie camera. Using GSpot, the video clip appears to be:

Video: Codec: avc1  /  Name: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

Audio: Codec: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC  /  Info: 48000Hz 128 kb/s tot, stereo (2/0)

I'm frankly stumped and would appreciate any help.

Mark

P.S. Since I've had nothing but trouble with Premiere Elements 7 since I got it, do you think Adobe would do a free upgrade to an "unbroken" version? I'm serious. I feel like I spent hard earned money on a broken program. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to wallmg35

According to what you reported, that file is AVCHD... and I'm not sure version 7 will work with that format

Is there a red line over your clip, in the timeline, before you do anything at all to the clip?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 8:52 PM   in reply to wallmg35

Mark,

With Still Images, there WILL be a red line, until you Render the Timeline, as PrE will need to create Video from those Still Images.

Now, Scaling the Still Images, prior to Import, is by far the best thing to do. This ARTICLE goes into more detail. Also, if the Scaling is done in PS/PSE, the quality will be better.

If you have a new computer, see this ARTICLE, as it is likely filled with bloatware, and has out of date drivers.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to wallmg35

>Yes, there is a red line over the clip

That means your original choice of a project setting does not match your video... such a mismatch causes lots of performance problems

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Unfortunately, with Sony Bloggie's, there is no project setting that will work with the video natively. This is even more pronounced an issue in version 7.

If you were running version 10, I'd recommend you use the project settings for the Flip Mino HD.

Otherwise, all you can do is keep your projects short and render your timeline often. With this video, you're trying to wedge a square peg into a round hole, and it's just not going to fit well in a version 7 project.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to wallmg35

Mark,

If you are getting error messages about your video card, it is most likely an outdated video driver. Go to the mfgr's. Web site, say nVidia, or ATI/AMD, and check there for the latest update. Download and install the latest version.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to wallmg35

wallmg35 wrote:

And wouldn't the red line over the video clip just mean it hasn't been rendered yet?

If you see a red line over your video clip immediately it means that your project setting does not match the format of the clip.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to wallmg35

Did you check on the manufacturer's Web site, or did you just check them with Windows, or another utility? If the latter, then you are likely 6 mos., or more, out of date.

For the BadDrivers TXT file, see this FAQ Entry.

If you are getting some other error/warning message, about your video card/driver, please list the exact text in that message.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to wallmg35

Several things strike me as problematic

• PRE7 doesn't support dedicated MPEG4 camera like the bloggie. This is why you will be getting red lines all the time - there is no project setting match for your clips.
    • Your graphics card is old. The last legacy driver for the 3400 series is v10.2 dated February 2010. The most recent Catalyst suite is dated 7th March 2012 v12.2. Which of these do you have?
    • Your C: drive is only 75GB total. Even if you have pointed Adobe files to your D: drive, PRE does still create many (measurable in Gigabytes) working files on C: (in W7 it is under C:\Program Data\Adobe, I don't know what it would be for XP). How much free defragmented space does that drive have?
    • You say you've set virtual memory to 8,196KB. If that is correct and not a typo for 8,196GB that will give you great problems.

See if you can temporarily move stuff off of your C: drive to leave around 40GB free defragmented space. I think that should give you an immediate performance and stability boost. But with that bloggie footage you are always going to have problems.

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2012 5:20 AM   in reply to wallmg35

Your C: drive free space is the likely culprit. Try freeing up more disk space (temporarily moving stuff of to another drive if necessary) to make 50GB free space and then defragment it.

Does that help?

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to wallmg35

I'm out of ideas. Maybe its time for you to contact Adobe - use the 'Contact Adobe' link at the bottom of the page.

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to wallmg35

Well, it seems that you have eliminated every potential issue, that I can think of.

Wish that I could have been of more help,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points