Skip navigation
FormElement
Currently Being Moderated

Critical Failure - CA Adjustment feature in LR4 is useless.

Mar 7, 2012 1:06 PM

Tags: #raw #lightroom_4 #chromatic_aberration #problem_adjusting

Okay, so I just need to chime in and say the that new CA control is practically usless. The prior one in LR3 was GREAT compared to everything else I ever used, and now it's a useless option that apparently does nothing at all. Huge failure. Not happy at all.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to FormElement

Well, you must be doing something wrong, cos here it is working beautifully.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to FormElement

Please provide details of what is or isn't happening. Without such information your feedback really isn't much use to those who may be able to offer help.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to FormElement

Your screenshots don't show the Profile panel. Therefore, I have no way of telling whether you've activated the Remove Chromatic Aberration control or not. See screenshot. Looking at your images my guess si that you haven't becasue I've seen much worse CA corrected using the new control.

ca-correction.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to Ian Lyons

And this is why I think that very same checkbox should appear in both the profile and manual tabs.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 7:18 PM   in reply to FormElement

I completely agree. I have some examples, and you will just have to believe me that I have the checkbox checked. (I posted about this missing feature and the replay was oh, but the Auto will do a better job) It does not, at least if you are using lenses that Adobe does not have a profile for...older Nikon micro lenses, for example. I developed a preset that worked for both the 60 and 105mm lens. It worked terrifically: only rarely did I need to tweak the setting, but at least I could. Here is the image, and crops of the issue. (I only adjusted the CA in the LR3 example in the interests of time. You can clearly see remaining blue and yellow fringing in the LR4 example. I tried the defringe too. Still there. Lightroom is about controlling the processing of your images. Why take control away???

1191_002.jpgLR3.jpgLR4.jpg

So, it clearly does not do a better job.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 11:28 PM   in reply to FormElement

I totally agree. One of my cameras is a bridge cam on which I use a 0.5x wide angle lens that screws into the filter thread. I even put it on my D7000's 18-105 and 35mm 1.8 occasionally. WIth light coming in on such severe angles, it is prone to fringing with back lit subjects. The new setting does little to correct it. Instead I have to use an adustment brush and de-saturate along all the bad edges. In CS3 I could just adjust the sliders and be done! This new madness creates 50 times the work!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)