Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Scale Dialog interface bug

Mar 7, 2012 8:31 AM

Okay, this has bugged me for a long time. Surely I'm not the only one…

When I open the "Scale dialog", type in a number and tab to accept, instead, the focus is changed to the next input cell (either uniform or non-uniform) and I lose my original scaling choice. Hitting "Tab" is an ingrained habit and preview does not work unless the current cell is closed, so hitting "OK" seems premature. Is it just me or does this dialog need a complete overhaul?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to rcraighead

The confusion lies in the changing uniform values affects non uniform vlaues once you tab out, but not visa versa.

Changing values in Non-Uniform is different, as they will not affect Uniform when tabbing out. When you tab out of Non_Uniform, all values actaully change to the existing Uniform value.

That is what drove me nuts, until I figured this out.  

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

I can never get non-uniform scale to work consistantly (CS3).

I click the non-uniform radio button and enter values but still things have a tendancy to scale uniformly.

The only way around it that I have found is to scale something non-uniformly by hand first.

Then when you go to the dialogue box next time around, non-uniform functions properly.

So is this still a bug in CS5?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to rcraighead

The dialogue is straight forward enough but the trouble is that the buttons don't always work properly.

And of course tabbing between them ought to work too.

But there's a glitch somewhere that causes neither to work consistantly.

Strange too that the Transform panel doesn't have a % scaling thingummy; you can enter dimensions, rotate degrees and skew degrees but not percentages.

Auntie Illie definitely needs revamping. She has been going to seed for far too long.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Enterring xy% in the Transform palette's dimension fields doesn't work for you?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

I think it is the way the "TAB" key works in any software weather its adobe or not, The " TAB" keys moves the cursor to the next value or the next option available

and I agree that pressing the enter after typing the value is very problematic  as each time we would have to open the panel after pressing enter .

BUT ADOBE HAS GIVEN THE OPTION OF

" SHIFT+ENTER "

TO IMPLEMENT THE VALUE THAT WE HAVE ENTERED WITHOUT MOVING THE CURSOR TO NEXT OPTION AND ALSO WITHOUT CLOSING THE PANEL.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to rcraighead

rcraighead wrote:

Tabbing out of "Non-Uniform: Vertical" should not move one back to "Uniform Scale". It's just a poorly designed dialog, pure and simple.

I've never had your problems. I just tried it to see what you are talking about - when I change Vertical and press Tab, this applies the changes to the preview and the focus is moved to the "Scale Strokes and Effects" in next section "Options" if I keep tabbing it will go around each input but will not change anything unless I change the value. So if I want to try vertical I press Tab and then Shift Tab to  try again. Works nicely here as expected. Using CS5 on Windows 7 and I never had the Steve's problem too - non-uniform works as expected.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Manish_1988 wrote:

BUT ADOBE HAS GIVEN THE OPTION OF

" SHIFT+ENTER "

TO IMPLEMENT THE VALUE THAT WE HAVE ENTERED WITHOUT MOVING THE CURSOR TO NEXT OPTION AND ALSO WITHOUT CLOSING THE PANEL.

This doesn't work here. Shift + Enter works the same as using just Enter - applies the value and closes the dialog

I like how in some other programs the Enter key on the main keyboard applies and closes the dialog and the Enter key on the numeric keypad applies the value without closing the dialog and keeps the value highlighted for trying a new value right away without using additional keys

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to emil emil

i have tested it on my Indesign and Illustartor and it works fine, you have press both  the key together.

refer the link:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e0 7d0100196cbc5f-641ca.html

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Manish_1988 wrote:

i have tested it on my Indesign and Illustartor and it works fine, you have press both  the key together.

refer the link:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e0 7d0100196cbc5f-641ca.html

that's for Panels, not for Dialogs, like in this topic we're refering to the Scale Dialog

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to CarlosCanto

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Manish_1988 wrote:

It works in the dialog box as well...

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WS714a382cdf7d304e7e0 7d0100196cbc5f-6414a.html

Transform Panel is still a Panel, not a Dialog.

Message was edited by: CarlosCanto

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Here are my findings...

I've never had any of the issues above, the Scale Dialog works as expected always* applying the correct uniform of non-uniform values, whether I tab out of a input box (vertical for example) or not.

(always*)...now the catch is that I never use the Scale Tool to scale things manually....trying to test the reported bug, I set shortcuts for the Tool and the Dialog itself to go 100% keyboard scaling. First I played a little, scaling things manually with the tool....then I used the Scale Dialog and boom! tabbing out of "vertical" went to "Scale Strokes & Effects" and back up to "Vertical"...and back, looping only thru this 2 boxes...weird

I fixed it by "Shift"+Tabbing my way up from Vertical, then everything worked ok...for good...I wasn't able to replicate the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to rcraighead

On my Mac (10.6.8, CS5), the tab works if you start in the Horizontal field. If you start in the Vertical field it will move to the Uniform field taking the value with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

I've always gotten around this annoyance by using shift-tab to move backwards to the other non-uniform field.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

On my Mac (10.6.8, CS5), the tab works if you start in the Horizontal field. If you start in the Vertical field it will move to the Uniform field taking the value with it.

interesting, then that's what probably happened after I used the Tool...in real life, I never use the mouse to start in the vertical field, I always tab my way to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

Enterring xy% in the Transform palette's dimension fields doesn't work for you?

Never thought of trying it, but yes, it works.

On the other hand you can't get the percentage to stick there. It reverts to a dimension as soon as you click Enter.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

I need help... the transform box is hidden even when checked. I have tried the tab button but to know avail. This is the only panel that is hidden.

Any tips on how to unhide this when I check it under windows. I have Illustrator CS.

Would appreciate.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to namedroppers

Try reducing the resolution of your monitor and see if it comes into view. Sounds like at one time you had a two monitor setup and it got dragged off the main screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Thank you... that worked. appreciate

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers