Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Problems With Viewing All of the Online Videos

Mar 5, 2012 10:46 PM

Tags: #not #flash #working #to #i #quality #updating #is #poor #11.1.102.62 #updated #since

Hello-

I will try to explain my problem correctly, but my computer knowledge is not the best.  I try to keep Flash updated when a new version comes out.  I thought it was odd because at least 6 months seemed to have gone by with no notice from the Flash Player icon which after the last update appeared in System Preferences--->last row named "Other"--->Flash Player icon.  When I opened the Flash Player icon then to the Advanced tab, I saw that it was set to "check for updates automatically." I clicked "Check Now" and it said a newer version is ready to be installed so I heard this "new way" that was in my System Preferences just required one to "check now" and it showed that I needed to update.  In just typing this question/Problem to post and going through the steps I am describing I see my installed version is not up-to-date.  I have 11.1.102.62 installed.  Even when I clicked "check Now" it does not tell me a newer version is ready to be installed.

My main reason for posting this in the Flash Player discussion is I was alerted to a potential problem because it was very unusual that there was not a newer version for that long.  As I said, I am anal about keeping Flash Player updated because it seems to work better when I do.  However, when I installed the last version (or I should say when I let the installer do the installation of 11.1.102.62) I have had nothing but problems when I watch the online news shows and other shows that can be viewed online. there is constant buffering, it can some times take close to an hour to watch CBS's Nightly News which usued to take abput 25 minutes with a clear, straight stream of the newscast.  I was going to uninstall this version and reinstall the latest version, but the Instructions I used to use from the Adobe website seem to been removed and I could not locate any current Instructions for installing the latest Flash Player version on a Mac OS 10.6.8.

Does anybody know why when I was writing this post and I clicked to "check now" to see if there is a more current Flash version it just closed System Preferences, but it took me to the webpage that lists the current version and I see that the current version for MacOS using Safari is not 11.1.102.62 there was a more current version 11.1.102.63 I think it said.

so I have these 2 problems now.  the shows I watch on My MacBook Pro 64-bit.

the Instructions I used to have marked had 1 webpage that went step by step to uninstall the current Flash version and the 2nd webpage had a step by step on how to install the current Flash version for Mac.  Are those gone now for the automatic update that is supposed to occur when I click the Flash Icon in System Preferences and "Check Now" and if there is a newer version it shold automatically update it to that version but in checking tonight when I was writing this post to make sure I was using the correct terminology I see that there is a newer version so the automatic update is not working.

What really bothers me is the quality of how the online videos playback since the version 11.1.102.62 was installed.  ABC News with diane Sawyer, CBS tonight News, NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams, etc.

Any suggestions on how to get the good quality the online videos used to playback and why the automatic update is not working or better yet, are there the Instructions available anymore that used to be posted and Adobe recommended to follow when a newer version was available?

Thanks for any help.

Replies
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Mar 6, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to Kooler1

Can you explain how the video playback is poor?  Is it not smooth?  Blocky?  something else?

As for the automatic update, is "check for updates automatically" selected in your Flash Player control panel?  Can you check for the presence of a "mms.cfg" file in either /Library/Application Support/Macromedia or your home folder's /Library/Application Support/Macromedia?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Mar 7, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to Kooler1

To rule out an installation issue, could you try a quick test and install and viewing the video with Chrome?  Do you see the same problems?

If you want to try and go back to a previous version, please see these two FAQ's:

How do I do a clean install of Flash Player?

Where do I find previous versions of Flash Player?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points