Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Chromatic Aberration correction in ACR 6.7

Mar 6, 2012 1:57 AM

I'm just having a quick play with 6.7RC before I have to go out for the day.

I just found a tiny bit of CA in one of my images, and headed for the manual sliders. To my surprise, they have vanished! I tried the lens profile tab and found a tick box for 'Remove Chromatic Aberration'. Does this mean that CA correction is now fully-automatic?

My main concern is that I won't be able to fine-tune existing correction, but if ACR now does additional fine-tuning automatically (and does it well) I will be a very happy bunny. Indeed, a quick test with a couple of images is giving better than normal results using the default correction.

Any chance of confirmation, please, anyone?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2012 3:04 AM   in reply to Yammer

Looks like it is fully automatic now - tried on one photo and it works even if I select no lens profile or profile of wrong lens. Manual CA correction (red-green, blue-yellow) sliders are also gone

Interesting thing, PV2012 is recognized and displayed, but you can't adjust some sliders (exposure etc) unless you convert back to 2010

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 4:54 AM   in reply to Vit Novak

I have downloaded ACR 6.7RC, but have not installed it yet.  You say PV2012 is recognized and displayed, but is it now available in ACR 6.7RC as an option to use?  I assumed we would have to wait for CS6 with ACR 7 before Camera RAW would have the PV2012 option. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 5:17 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

The 6.7 RC's design is to provide PV 2012 rendering compatibility with Lr 4.  The default PV in 6.7 will be 2010 (just like it was in 6.6).  And as you've discovered, if you bring in an image with existing settings using PV 2012, you can render those results in 6.7 RC (again, for compatibility reasons) but you will not have access to the controls.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to Yammer

Correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to Yammer

Automatic Chromatic Aberration correction in ACR 6.7 doesn't work properly, how do you revert to ACR v6.6?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to Zebrdee

Do you have an example?  (Note that the checkbox only deals with lateral CA, not other types of CA.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Yes but it's not my photo. I'd really like to get back to v6.6 if you know how.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to Zebrdee

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

I tried that;

Photoshop Camera Raw 6.6 Update

Installation failed. Error Code: U44M2P7

Photo link - not my photo - Look at the sign text; Why I want my Canon 5D Mark III | http://bit.ly/18T8x6

Can the old 6.6 way be restored and keep the auto check box as an option?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to Zebrdee

Maybe you need to remove the existing Camera RAW.8bi file, first. 

On my Windows 7 64-bit computer the plug-in is located, here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS5\File Formats

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Thanks but still the same error message.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to Zebrdee

Did you try the manual install instructions?  Usually, the drag-and-drop solution will work.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Yes tried that. Tried removing the x86 file as well. Are there some folders to delete? Uninstall photoshop and reinstall?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to Zebrdee

If you did the manual install, then there’s no need to do the automated installed so there’d be nothing to give you the error message.

What is your manual process for manually replacing ACR 6.7 RC with ACR 6.6?  And after you’ve done that, what does Help / About Plug-ins… / Camera RAW show for the version, and does it show more than one Camera RAW plug-in listed?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to ssprengel

From http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5312

Manual installation on Windows®:

1. Exit Photoshop CS5 and Adobe Bridge.

2. Open the download file, double-click AdobePatchInstaller, and follow the onscreen instructions.

3. Launch Photoshop CS5 or Adobe Bridge.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to Yammer

6.7 is beta is it not? It can be changed.

Still haven't managed to back to v6.6

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 8, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to Yammer

Okay, I haven't run 6.7 yet, but I think I will actually try the RC after reading this thread.

With 6.6 and older I often have to dial in a little CA correction beyond what the profile correction, at 100%, provides, and sometimes I have to settle for a compromise because getting rid of all of it in one corner leaves some in another corner.

I have great hope for content analysis, and it would be really REALLY great if the software could just get it right all across the entire image.  So my question (before trying 6.7 and having a look-see for myself) is this:

Is this version actually capable of detecting and minimizing CA in differing amounts all across the image?

If so, that would be really cool.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to Yammer

OK, done. Used the Windows 'previous versions' way as in this topic;

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4092599

The CA in that photo is so bad even the old 6.6 sliders cannot completely fix it.

Thanks all.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to Zebrdee

Yeah I think that example is unusually egregious, though it's also true the new auto CA would likely work better on the raw image itself (rather than the JPEG, even the full-res one).  For technical reasons, lateral CA is best corrected on raw image data.  Even so, the auto CA internals can likely be tuned to work even in this strong case.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 8, 2012 10:37 PM   in reply to Yammer

Yammer P wrote:

6.7 seems to fix both sides equally, leaving an insignificant amount of CA. It works on everything I've tried so far.

Yes, exactly as advertised.  I wasn't sure before whether one would have to choose the 2012 method to get this feature, but no - it improves 2010 process images, and all the same defaults as before apply.

It's impressive that it will take even images that have been tweaked via profile + manually to be as good as I could get them and do an even better job aligning the colors.  I have a number of images I happened to save as full-sized PSDs just after conversion using Camera Raw 6.6 (in preparation for making panoramas), so I was able to directly compare before/after results with those from 6.7.

Impressive indeed!  I agree with Yammer P's comment about this not being touted as a big enough deal.  You've just incrementally improved all the lenses in my kit.  Well done, Adobe team!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 9, 2012 5:17 AM   in reply to Yammer

I wondered about that, but couldn't check it directly as I use the central database.  Thanks for that extra bit of info!

Like you I don't see myself moving backward.

It could also affect a mixed shop that uses different versions of Adobe software (or doesn't have everyone up on the latest update at the same moment).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to Yammer

When reading older images with manual or profile-based CA enabled, ACR will check the Remove Chromatic Aberration box.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points