Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Questions on server update (proxy, Tomcat)

Mar 7, 2012 7:38 PM

Tags: #update #proxy #tomcat #cf10

I've been working a bit with the CF10 beta on one of my dev boxes and have a couple questions regarding the new server update capability (which is very nice, BTW):

1. Most of the time this box sits on a corporate network behind a proxy; will the server update capability function? And if I need to tweak anything to get it to work, what might that be?

2. Our production boxes are configured in such a way that they will not be able to initiate a connection to the Adobe update servers; any thoughts on how updating will work? I see the ability in the CFadmin server update settings page to specify an alternate location for server updates. Can anyone provide guidance on how/if that might be used to work around either 1, above, or this scenario?

3. What's the process for updating the Tomcat installation that is put in place when ACF10 is installed? Will the server update function provide a means of updating that portion of the stack (given that at 7.0.23, it is now 3 minor updates behind the latest official version)?

--

/ron

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2012 9:05 PM   in reply to Ron.Stewart

In my mind this works tho maybe there is an official other way:

1 Download hotfix on CF10 dev system for later installation. I guess one is

going to trial it before production anyway.

2 Move files from dev over to prod <cf_home>/hf-updates/ area

3 At command prompt:

java -jar <jar-file-name>

Follow the on screen instructions

The CF10 help page is useful in this matter:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/10.0/Admin/WSe61e35da8d318518-3 3adffe0134c60cd31c-7ffe.html

Regards, Carl.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 9:06 PM   in reply to Ron.Stewart

+1 For detail on tomcat update

Is it rude to ask in this thread what of updating the underlying java developer kit that tomcat / CF10 is using?

Thanks, Carl.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 6:00 PM   in reply to Ron.Stewart

This blog in part says tomcat will be patched by CF10 updater:

http://blogs.coldfusion.com/post.cfm/what-s-the-deal-with-tomcat-in-co ldfusion-10

HTH, Carl.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to Ron.Stewart

It is Tomcat 7.0.23

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to Ron.Stewart

While you await his reply, I’ll point out that I’ve seen other discussions where he and others have said that they do plan to use the new automated hotfix feature of CF10 to roll out even updates to Tomcat. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were in feature lock down for weeks or longer prior to the final release today, and perhaps we may see such an update to Tomcat (if indeed there’s a substantial security concern) soon. But I’ll let Adobe clarify if they would be any more specific. Hope that’s helpful.

/charlie

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to Ron.Stewart

Oh, and I meant to add to my last note in this thread: if anyone ever wonders what version of Tomcat CF is running, it’s displayed in the CF Admin, on the System Information page (click the “I” icon in the top right corner). Note that it is NOT displayed on the “settings summary” page (whose link is on the left in the CF Admin). The two pages often feel like they’re nearly the same, but there is much that does not overlap.

/charlie

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points