Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4 Crash

Mar 5, 2012 11:53 PM

Just installed Lightroom 4 and have tried to select book module and the progam constantly crashes everytime I do.....Other modules appear to be working properly. Only the book module is shutting down the program....Any one else having similar problems?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2012 1:55 AM   in reply to Knightflyer99

Please supply more details such as OS, memory, etc.

First try removing the LR4 preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 4:58 PM   in reply to Knightflyer99

For me it's a little different. After upgrading from LR3 to LR4,  LR4 doesn't crash but it does hang. After which, if I try to change the module, I get the error:

"An error occurred when attempting to change modules."

Mac OS X 10.7.3

iMac, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, memory: 2GB

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to Knightflyer99

I have the same issue :

MACBOOK PRO

2.4 CORE 2 DUO

4 GB RAM

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 4:33 PM   in reply to Knightflyer99

I purchased LR 4 today.  Though decided to download and start using as a trial.  Both 32 and 64 bit crashed from the start.

I looked over my catalog that I wanted to upgrade.  I saw some issues with RAW and edited from a Sigma SD14 that I previously owned.  I eliminated every one of those troubling formats from my LR 3 catalog/  Performed a save/backup.  I deleted the LR4 catalogs first created.  The restarted LR4 with my LR3 catalog.  Upgraded and now no crashing.

Maybe this gives some ideas to your own situation.

I shall keep LR 3 still installed for awhile until I am free and clear.

I will keep a back up of my presets folder just in case.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to Knightflyer99

had it crash on me several times last night running a Macbook Pro OS 10.7.3 8Gb RAM, once in the map module and the 2 other times it says copying xml file data but my computer just sits and spins forever.Had some issues with exporting files back from CS5 in that after I did it wouldnt export to a jpg and then the xmp issue came up and crash.

Some folks have been complaining of sluggish performance and i see a slow down in exporting for sure, but i wonder if it may not be optimized for a MAC as the win folks seem to be having no issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to Knightflyer99

I have a similar problem.  Mine doesn't crash, but here is the message I get when I click on the Book module:  (unknown c++ exception).  That's all the information it gives me. I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell Studio 540, 8gb RAM, Service Pack 1.  So far, everything else with LR4 works great. I get no errors with any other module or panel.  I've been kinda waiting to see if anyone else was having a problem with the Book module ONLY.  There surely must be a common thread somewhere here.  And for the record, I did uninstall and re-install LR4.  That didn't help.  Sure would appreciate someone's help because I no nothing about c++ errors. Thanks.  Jack

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to Knightflyer99

Well.  I guess no one else is having the same problem.  That is so not good.  If I'm the only one with this problem then I might as well assume it will never get fixed.  No big deal.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to JackRatl

I have the same problem with the Book module Jack.  I swear it was working before.  I did install Photoshop CS6 Beta today.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to BillTickner

Thanks Bill for adding this to the forum.  I also installed CS6 beta today, but, of course I already was having the problem prior to that.  I am adding that I have the Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Design Premium installed on this computer.  I don't know if that has anything to do with an "unknown c++ exception" or not. I can live without the book module because I usually use Blurb for that,but, when I invest my hard earned money in software it really bothers me when EVERYTHIING dosn't work correctly.  Thanks.

Jack

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to Knightflyer99

I have a similar problem but with a different module.  Running Windows 7 (64 bit), when I try to go to the Print module, the program hangs up.  Eventually -- like in half an hour or so -- it will unlock, I can switch back to Library or Develop, and continue to work.  But I can't print.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to JackRatl

Jack, have you tried uninstalling LR4 and reinstalling?

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to BillTickner

Yes I did try that.  Still the same thing.  But I'm going to try that once again since that's all I know to do.  If by chance the result is positive I will post it. Thanks.

Jack

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to JackRatl

Well, this is weird!  Out of boredom, I clicked on the book module this morning, and it worked.  Now THAT really fills me with confidence!

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to Knightflyer99

I have the same problem. Click on "Book" causes "unknown C++ exception".

I already re-installed the program, deleted the preference file, tried it with a brand new catalog without pictures but nothing helped.

System: Win 7 64Bit, i5-750, 16GB DDR3, CS5 Master Suite german and LR4-Trial german (the error caused in the beta, too).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 2:59 AM   in reply to WannaWrite

Today, I installed Lightroom 4.1 RC and I still have the same "unknown C++ exception" when clicking on "book".

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to WannaWrite

I also installed Lightroom 4.1 RC today and I still have the same "unknown C++ exception" when clicking on "book".  I think I will also mention some other programs that I have installed on this Dell Studio 540 with Windows 7 Professional. OnOne software's Perfect Suite 6, Photomatix, Portrait Professional, Daz Studio 4, Photoshop Elements 8, Debut Video Capture Tool, and a lot of "utility" programs that are too numerous to mention.  At some point when I have time I may try a uninstall/re-install of some of these and see if that does it.  That would obviously take an enormous amount of time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to JackRatl

I just installed the just released Lightroom 4.1 version.  The Book Module is now working.  It seems to be working correctly but I haven't put it to the full book test yet.  I hope it solves the issue for everyone else too.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points