• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to attach files to the thread we post in this forum?

Participant ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to attach files to the thread we post in this forum?

I’m wondering why there is no feature that allows attaching files from our hard drives! It is not practical to upload our file first in a certain web to provide it as a link in the post.

Is there a way to attach our files directly from our hard drive to the post?

Please, have a look on the screenshot below that shows a forum which includes all the very basic features!

Thank you for the help

Best

Jamal

Clip_486.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[ moved to the forum comments section ]

We don't allow generic file uploads as there are obvious security and intellectual property issues. Users can link to externally-hosted files (subject to the terms and conditions concerning copyright and spam), which ensures Adobe is not liable for the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer.

personally, I don't see any problem with that as most of the Fora (forum) offer this feature. otherwise, additional work is needed just to upload one single file.

best

Jamal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>personally, I don't see any problem with that

Allowing anyone to upload a possibly infected file is an extremely bad idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer Smith.

I’m a heavy user for the AutoCAD and ArcGIS forum, and both are allowing this feature. You need to update your system to be secured even when allowing this feature! But not to “forbid” it due the security exactly as other fora are doing.

Secondly, even the quality of the inserted images is not that good. We are not all native in English and sometimes we need to support our “words” with screenshots and attached files to make our ideas clear enough.

Best

Jamal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 10, 2012 Mar 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because of what Pat commented on. I use a Program called Snagit.  the lates version for Mac and PC has added the ability to create videos. once the screenshot or the Video is completed, you can the you save it to a server called screencast. It then creates a link you can paste in a  forum Thread.

Here is an example of a Video created. http://www.screencast.com/t/76MUrUGivkID

to create and send a Screen shot are even easier.

There is a Pared down version which is free. called Jing but adds advertising

Note on video you have to click on the full screen button to see the entire video in some cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that site scan uploaded items for malware?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Go to http://www.screencast.com and read all about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T Smith wrote:

Allowing anyone to upload a possibly infected file is an extremely bad idea

I remember in the first version of the Jive forum, attachments were allowed, but quarantined until scanned for malware.

I don't remember when & why this disappeared.

Personally I think attachments are often very useful; e.g. in the Adobe Reader forum posters are often asked to provide a problematic PDF file.  The only way to do this now is to post it on a 3rd-party site, or send it to someone by email.

I think posting samples here at the forum directly is more useful, especially since a mechanism to scan for malware is (was) actually available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2012 Mar 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 7th button of the basic editor, "insert image" , allows you to post an image from your HD... Isn't that what you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you guys for the contribution. this is quite useful.

Attaching files is a very basic feature in any Forum. and sure, we need it all the time to better share our issues without the need to upload our files in a "broker" sites! it is simple, most of the fora have this feature.

best

Jamal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do have the ability to post images, what exactly are you trying to upload, and why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF files would be very useful.

Word docs would sometimes be useful.

Text files (install logs, dxdiag output) would be useful; it can be very distracting if someone posts a very large text file inline.

Depending on the product forum, other files may also be useful.

We used to have it, at the beginning of the Jive forum, and then again after the new version was installed.  It disappeared both times - due to abuse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your avatar is appropriate for today. I would have added a forbidden sign in front

The issue I see with PDF and DOC is that both can contain malicious files. But I realize how they could be useful, indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If youwere to upload DropBox, Sugar sink or BOx I am unsure how you could share with the Forum. You can share with individuals by email. And they all have pUblic Folders.  but I don't know how you would go about pointing people to you public folder.  That way you could provide a Link and the person could go to that link without dealing with the Forum constraints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing like attaching our files directly from our hard drives! why do we need "brokers"!

anyway, it was a good opportunity to discuss this issue and to know your opinions.

thanks

Jamal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jamal, you still haven't stated what kind of files you'd like to upload.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=0 is a step by step on how to upload screen captures, that might be useful for users that find this discussion, and wonder how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pierre,

Just a guess on my part, but I would suspect non-image files in this case.

As Ted points out, that WAS possible early on, and then the capbility to attach non-image files, was actually retained by a certain few forums, though not for long. This change was coincidental with a major spam attack, and at least one disgruntled user attempting to attach some rather nasty "stuff." I do ot know if those events prompted the change, as I was not part of the decision making group, that initiated the change.

Though 95% of the files that I wish to attach, ARE image files, there are times, where a TXT file would be ideal, say for a crash log, or similar. Now, I can convert that TXT to a PNG, but then one has to work with pixel x pixel dimensions, and some files, like those crash logs, can be rather long.

Personally, I find the loss of the Attach File (was via a button at the bottom-left of the editing screen) to be a sad comment on the actions of some, on these forums, but then that just reflects life outside of the forums.

Hunt

PS - I am glad that you found that little article useful Especially in the PS, PrPro, PrE and Encore forums, screen-caps can tell so very much about what is going on with a person's program, system or their Projects/Images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the Illustrator forums, newbies sometimes fail miserably trying to explain the problem they need help with. Regulars have to "guess" what the user needs, even with screen shots provided. Last resort is "can you provide a sample file"....ehr..."yes, if I knew how to do that".

bottom line is...sometimes there's a legitimate reason to have a sample file (layer structure is too complex for a screen shot in some cases)

it would be great to allow the attachment of AI files in the AI forums....can a malicious file be disguised as an AI file? maybe, but even my crappy yahoo email account has a file scanner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 18, 2012 Mar 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PECourtejoie,

we may have the ability to insert images but with bad quality! This is one enough reason why we need to attach files! Could you explain why the inserted screenshots become unclear as they are inserted in the forum? please, have a look on the thread below:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4274620#4274620

Thank you

Best

Jamal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page not found...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about the quality of the screenshot below?

Clip_610.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New link doesn't work either...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The post you wanted to show is http://forums.adobe.com/message/4274620#4274620

and the images you posted are crystal clear (you have to click on the minimized images to get the original image).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Pat Willener. that's correct.

best

Jamal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines