Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Convert original image to sharp Line art?

Mar 8, 2012 11:17 PM

Dear All,

I have a image i want to convert orginal image to sharp lineart how can i do photoshop CS3 please help me.

one reference image is attached

kathak.jpg

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 8, 2012 11:45 PM   in reply to manojb05

Beyond simple functions that produce only limited results, like the Filter - Stylize - Find Edges function, I don't think what you want is a trivial request.

I have heard of "auto tracing" features in other programs or in 3rd party plug-ins, but I've not personally seen anything that will just give you results much beyond what Find Edges and a little Curves manipulation can do.

FoundEdges.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2012 11:53 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I was also going to recommend Find Edges but when I did it I think I must have used a low res image of what was posted above and I got a lot of pixelation.

As far as other programs are concerned I would consider Adobe Illustrator's Live Trace options although the word is that Live Trace does not replace Manual Tracing which is painstakingly long for a complex image such as this one.  But you do get crisp vector results.  I don't know what you can do in Fireworks.  Adobe Flash also has a vectorization option but I'm not sure you'll get black-and-white art.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 12:04 AM   in reply to manojb05

if any chance we can convert the image in same quality please help this

Personally I currently see no realistic option for achieving such a result automatically.

I would recommend Illustrator – Object > Live Trace may provide a starting point, but I guess a lot of manual improvements/tracing may be necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 12:08 AM   in reply to manojb05

As the others already said - no chance of doing this in PS. It needs to be traced in Illustrator.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Mar 9, 2012 2:57 AM   in reply to manojb05

You need to simplify the image before you try to find its edges, or trace it. I would convert the background to a layer, smart object it, and run a blur filter to remove details, then run the edge finding, or tracing it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2013 8:09 AM   in reply to manojb05

As others have said I dont think you will be able to convert the image you have posted to look like the result you want from the other image you posted, the detail in the original is just to high. I use the method described below for doing my line art in Photoshop and it works well but you seem to want to reduce your image to a much simplier representation. I have used this site before, it used to be free but now I think you only get a couple of free credits when you join, convert a photo to line drawing, quite simple to use and you can select to remove noise which might reduce the complexity of the original image.

In Photoshop try:

Duplicate original layer

Change top layer color mode to color dodge

Invert top layer

Apply Gaussian blur (choose low pixel radius for less detail so reducing image complexity)

Add adjustment layer and set saturation to be -100

Retouch anywhere with brush tool to complete

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points