This discussion is locked

Experiencing performance related issues in Lightroom 4.x

Aug 6, 2012 3:58 PM

Latest reply: Victoria Bampton, Dec 18, 2012 11:37 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 ... 43 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2012 1:05 AM   in reply to A C G

Ok, to sum up my experience:

User of LR3, never installed a beta, installed LR4 as trial.

High-end MacPro (8-core 3GHz, 24GB RAM, OS 10.7.3) 3 displays

LR4 is sluggish and unresponsive to slider movements in develop module, activity monitor shows maximum CPU load on all cores.

Fix: Create new catalogue, re-import same pictures. This brings down CPU load to comfortable levels, UI-snappiness similar to LR3.

As others have pointed out, it will be difficult to compare user experiences such as sluggishness.

LR seems to be somewhat resource-hungry anyway, so users with less powerful machines may be used to a certain lag in response and not notice too much of a difference (which is in no way meant to blame them for having a "bad" computer!).

I suggest observing the activity monitor (on the Mac) as a gauge for system load caused by the program.

I use the "clarity"-slider as a reference point and find that LR3 and a "well-behaved" LR4 leaves some headroom on the CPUs while a a sluggish LR4 drives all cores to the max for 2-3 seconds making the interaction jumpy to the point where it is hardly usable.

If you look at the last three messages you will see the first (of the three)  removed all traces of the beta and now has a useable LR4.

The next two messagers do not tell us whether they have upgraded from the beta or from LR3.

I am sorry to labour this point but, to me anyway, it seems important.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 1:12 AM   in reply to BCormier

Macbook pro, LR3, LR4 Beta (beta was super slow).  For what its worth, I had a slow experience with LR4.  Used a new catalog, tried some of the suggestions here, did an archive install of Lion.  No success.  Adobe customer support said I may have had an issue with a corrupt user profile (i was missing the adobe plist files).  Created a new profile, and wow, just like that, night and day difference. Makes the program usable, even downright snappy.  YMMV. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 1:15 AM   in reply to Vit-none

And how do you check if the user profile is corrupt, and how to fix it? For me the thing that makes the most difference is enabling the second monitor, but I want to certainly see if this can be fixed or improved by some other means.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 1:29 AM   in reply to Rodrigo Gomez

Not sure how to check, honestly. I created a new user profile, and ran lr4

under that instead, and it works great (so far).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 1:41 AM   in reply to Vit-none

Is the User Profile a Windows feature or something within Lightroom?

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 1:47 AM   in reply to A C G

Worked on my mac. No clue for windows, slightly more of a clue with osx.

Sorry, I don't have the silver bullet.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 1:57 AM   in reply to A C G

Probably windows. Control panel /user accounts.Create a new user.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 2:00 AM   in reply to BCormier

Ok

My feelings based on a Lapbook pro 15inch 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 8Gb 1333 MHz DDR3 750 ( 40 Gb free from 750 Gb internal hard drive) running OSX 10.7.3 with the high definition screen 1680 by1050.

Working on an 8 bit TIF from a Canon 5D11 (5340 by 3560)

I've just had a selection of images provided from a client for me to edit.

1. I've saved the meta data to the photos
    2. exported the 18 images as a LR3.5 catalog, leaving the 18 images on my firewire drive
    3. zipped up my LR4 beta app  so I could use both
    4. installed the LR4 final
    5. right clicked the catalog in a folder on my desktop - Open with LR4.0
    6. it wanted to convert so I let it do so
    7. and LR4.0 started with the new catalog
    8. I had to update the film strip of images to PV2012.
    9. The controls are fast, way faster than LR3.5 which I currently use
    10. I'm currently updating iTunes to 10.6
    11. I have 1.31 Gb of memory available - from Activity monitor - LR4.0 using 1.66 Gb

12. I've already used the transform tool to adjust
        1. vertical
        2. rotation

I've got several dust spots already removed

I've not got any profile adjustments applied as I'm using a tiff made from combining 3 DNG files that had the profiles applied.

1. zooming to 100% - under 1 second dragging at 100% around the screen  - instantaneous
      2. painting adjustment marks - instantaneous - at 100% and fit
      3. adjustment of the verticals and horizontal using the manual corrections
        1. whether by using the ALT(±1( / CTRL(±5) / SHIFT(±20) keys at fit - instantaneous
        2. whether by using the ALT(±1( / CTRL(±5) / SHIFT(±20) keys at 100% - instantaneous, zooming back out to fit after a +20 change  is just short of instantaneous.
      4. From Grid mode, opening a new photo fit and
        1. Module change to Develop - 1 second
        2. loading image ± 2 seconds
        3. zoom to 100% ± 1 sec
      5. Q - spot in healing mode cleaning mark and select area and time to update ±1 second
      6. Dragging the spot marker to align a vertical edge, ie I've got a spot over an edge, so I need to move the "From" spot so that the "To" spot perfectly lines up, refresh as I drag the spot suffers from a lag of under 0.25 sec, faster than LR3.5 - Remember I have manual lens corrections AND adjustment masks on this image, but the adsjustment mask is not over this Q spot.

This conflicts with many peoples experiences, I'm finding it very snappy, and the only reason I downloaded the LR4Beta2 er LR4.0 was because I wanted to import a catalog of a few images into LR4 and reference them from my main drive, rather than export the images and use LR4 Beta to read the images from a new location as I've been doing with other finishing edits.

I will comment on DNG edits below

1. Auto applied Canon profile
      1. loading a dng at 100% from the film strip ±4 seconds
      2. flicking around an image @ 100% - is jerky and sticky
      3. Zoom in and out of 100% ±1 second
      4. manual transformations - slower than for above, but still under 0.2 sec, ie click (quick sniff) done - not very scientific, but I can't operate a timer at the same time
      5. Turning on and off the detail really slows things up until I've zoomed around the image at 100%, also the CPU started burning 400% for a while, and then dropped again.
      6. Q healing is a little slower, the updating the spots when you need to accurately align vertical is significantly slower, maybe 1 second, but this is with the auto profile on and manual transforms. With the auto profile turned off, its almost as fast as with the TIF above.

I am finding that the DNG is a little slower, but its definitely no slower than LR3.5 was for me

I've tried to be as accurate as possible, but based on a catalog imported from LR3.5, with 3.5 installed, and develop settings  from LR3.5 newly updated develop setting specific to LR4 beta, I'm very pleased with the speeds on my laptop.

hamish NIVEN Photography

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 2:26 AM   in reply to gbdid

creating a new user is a pretty serious change to make to use Lightroom.

I cannot believe anyone would want to do that.

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 4:44 AM   in reply to BCormier

Maybe the people who experience a slow Lightroom have the lens correction feature active for all of their pictures.

I really wondered about the slow speed in LR3 already. Yes, in LR3! The reason is, I use LR for my complete workflow, even retouching and the more you add spots and gradients to a picture, the slower it gets on my computer, but... ONLY if the lens correction is active.

I experienced, that the lens correction feature is slowing LR3 massively. You get a response time of some seconds for your clicks if lens correction is active. If you deselect it, everything works smooth.

In LR4 everything maybe a little bit slower, but I don't see the difference to LR3. Other bugs are more obvious (tone curves) and critical. But I really think (or hope) Adobe is on it.

I would appreciate it if Adobe would be more present even in this user forum to inform people about coming changes, hotfixes and bugfixes, because it seems to me, that everyone is complaining, but there are no solutions or hints that could help.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 5:18 AM   in reply to nitram27

I experimented with different actions to see if doing/not doing some of them made a performance difference but found that any difference was not detectable - performance remained poor.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 5:28 AM   in reply to BCormier

I'm running a quad-core AMD 965BE at 3.4ghz with 8gigs of memory with a GTX 560TI video card and Win 7 Pro 64-bit. LR 3.6 ran flawlessly but I'm having the same problems as everyone else. I uninstalled LR Beta before installing LR 4. Aross4242 has described my problems perfectly in post 46.

The only thing that has helped me after trying most of the suggestions so far (I'm not going to create a new user) is by not using both of my monitors, when I disable the second monitor LR4 is much improved but I didn't upgrade to LR4 just to downgrade to a single monitor.

It does disappoint me that we haven't heard anything from Adobe concerning these issues, maybe they are to hard at work correcting them to reply?

Why would they release this without releasing camera raw 7 so we could edit LR4 edited dng files in Photoshop?

|
    Mark as:
  • Kirk Kelln
    16 posts
    Nov 20, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to BCormier

I am not interested in creating a new user account either so have not tried this 'fix'. Removing the second monitor certainly improves performance a lot but, this too, is not an option. I do find that once I develop a photo in Lr4, move to another photo and develop it, then return to the first photo, Lr4 is much more responsive even with second display turned on. This must be related to cache.

One other observation. If I develop a photo then immediately go to close Lr4, it always gives me an error: "Adobe Lightroom is not finished writing metadata changes into XMP..." If I wait 5 seconds or so before attempting to close Lr4, I dont get the error. This error is 100% reproducible in every situation I have tried including in a brand new Lr4 made catalog with just one image in it! I cant get this error to occur on Lr3 even with my catalogue of over 30,000 pictures.

It really seems like Lr4 is working very hard at doing something, but what the heck it is working at I cant say.

Add my voice to the group of people that think it is time for Adobe to jump into this thread even if for no other reason than to let us know they have heard our complaints/concerns and are looking into the issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to Kirk Kelln

Kirk Kelln wrote:

Add my voice to the group of people that think it is time for Adobe to jump into this thread even if for no other reason than to let us know they have heard our complaints/concerns and are looking into the issues.

I think people who have the same problem should post to the problem corner in adobe community to get attention:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_0_reacts_ext remely_slow

It's frustrating that you have no other chance to give a bug report to adobe and we don't know if they already know about it...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to Eaglerapids

After a bit more playing I have noticed that performance is usable in develop with two displays as long as the second display isn't in Loupe view. In Loupe, there is a full screen preview to render on the fly with slider adjustments.  Still, in LR3 there was no sluggishness at all.  Eaglerapids seems to have the same problems as I do - do you notice an improvement when the second display is set, for instance, on Grid?

|
    Mark as:
  • Kirk Kelln
    16 posts
    Nov 20, 2009
    Mar 9, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to aross4242

If I develop a photo then immediately go to close Lr4, it always gives me an error: "Adobe Lightroom is not finished writing metadata changes into XMP..." If I wait 5 seconds or so before attempting to close Lr4, I dont get the error. This error is 100% reproducible in every situation I have tried including in a brand new Lr4 made catalog with just one image in it.

I can not get this error to occur on Lr3 even with my catalogue of over 30,000 pictures.

Can you generate this error? If so, I suspect this error is related to the performance problem of Lr4. It suggests that Lr4 is indeed occupied doing something that Lr3 was not busy doing.

Regards

Kirk

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to BCormier

The redraw rate needs to get fixed.  Hopefully soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to BCormier

Yes I do aross, there is an improvement when set to Grid.

Kirk, I can reproduce your error. Automatically writing changes into XMP is always going to use some cycles, but I never noticed it in LR 3.6, I'll turn it off in LR4 and see if it makes any difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 12:25 AM   in reply to BCormier

So after 2 days of testing now here are my final conclusions:

I did the workaround told here. i uninstalled and deleted everything, reboot and deleted the rest of lr3 and 4. reboot again. i even cleaned the whole registry in windows, in mac os i did that not. i reinstalled lr4.0 and made a new catalogue and imported some pictures and BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM wohoooooowww. lr4 is now as fast as hell. even faster than lr 3.6 unbelievable!

but WATCH OUT! i have a XMP workflow, which means that all my raw files do have XMP files and in dng files, the xmp metadata are written IN the dng file. i have this workflow, cause i have checked in lightroom catalogue preferences (under metadata): "automatically save changes into xmp files (or however this is written in the english lr4 surface). so if you have this kind of workflow it is absolutely no problem when you make the catalogue completele new. i made my whole catalogue new and made all 1:1 previews and lightroom is now still as fast as hell even with my 45000 picture´s catalogue. IF YOU HAVE A DATABASE WORKFLOW, which means that you do not write all your adjustemnts in a picture into a xmp file or inside of the dng file.........all your adjustments will be gone when you remove the catalogue!!! E V E R Y T H I N G!

As far as i can see there is the following problem. People like me, who have a xmp workflow have performance problems, cause there is some behaviour of the import from the old catalogue. it looks like that the file searches where to write, searches, searches...and HEY here it is, lets write something! i do know some people that have a database workflow and all of them have no performance issues. even the XMP error, which a guy described some posts above are now gone for me so i really think lightoom might have here some xmp issues. i am no expert - but at the moment everything points on a xmp bug!

The workaround does nothing else to completely renew everything and now lr knows where the files are and does a really good job.

So my sliders and my adjusments are pretty fast at the monent, even with turned on lens correction and turned an sharpness. when i zoom in the sliders become lagy und sluggish again. when i zoom out everything is fine again - please adobe fix this!

My last realy big problem is the second monitor. when i turn it on, lr becomes very slow again. when i turn the second monitor off, lightroom becomes faster again BUT not so fast as it was in the beginning. i have to shut down lr4 and restart it (without 2nd monitor) and BAM it is fast like hell again!

So for now i hope i could help some guys with my testings!

King regards Frank!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 2:14 AM   in reply to frankc1978

"i even cleaned the whole registry in windows"

I'm one of the guys who, two days ago, suggested that loading LR4 without removing the beta may be a cause of the problems.

I did not clean my registry and when I removed the beta and re-installed the paid version I was not asked for my LR4 serial number. Clearly Adobe are storing information in (presumably) the registry and maybe this also contributes to the lethargy the program sometimes shows.

Like the previous poster I have probably around 45,000 images on disk. However, my experience is that software like LR is moving on so much that an adjustment I might have made three or four years ago can be much improved now, especially things like shadow noise and detail. I'm tempted to go back on what I did on Thursday and remove LR3 as well as LR4 and also do that registry clean if CCleaner can spot the LR entries.

I think we are making progress. Hello Adobe! Is anyone out there listening.

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 3:07 AM   in reply to A C G

I don't see why we need to do a registry clean etc., etc.,Adobe are supplying a product that doesn't work properly, it runs slow on a Mac and a PC and it looks like the problem lies in the software that Adobe supplies.

I did manage to try out the new features like selective noise reduction but each adjustment took about 4 seconds, the results were good but the time delay is unworkable.

Does anyone out there know if Adobe are working on a fix and if so when will we know if it is fixed, will we get notification of LR4.1 or something so we can download something that works this time.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 3:31 AM   in reply to Robbie2006

Well Robbie - LR is a very powerfull tool. very complex algorythm take place here and they get more and more and each one must interact with each other. It must fit to all computers out there and it shall work properly. also i am sure adobe has certain release dates and must hold them. software TODAY and being one of the first persons, working on it meens ALWAYS being a kind of a beta tester - always the same and belive me rhino and CAD world is much much much worse than this product. i am happy that there IS a workaround that worked for me, cause most of the time we do not even have this oportunity! i am sure adobe listens and is working hard on these fixtures like it happened on lr3. be patient and wait and they´ll do their job, i am sure. till then everybode can work on lr 3.6 and have some fun doing testing lr4.

frank

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 3:57 AM   in reply to Robbie2006

"I don't see why we need to do a registry clean etc., etc."

Neither do I Robbie......

But the value of a forum like this is sharing ideas about work arounds to enable us to use the product whilst Adobe is fixing it.

I don't believe Adobe are not aware of the problem. It would be grown up PR to have a token presence on this thread to admit it - but I don't run Adobe.

In the meantime lets concentrate on helping each other reach the goal of a useable LR4.

Tony

|
    Mark as:
  • Kirk Kelln
    16 posts
    Nov 20, 2009
    Mar 10, 2012 4:24 AM   in reply to BCormier

P L E A S E   R E A D  

If I develop a photo then immediately close Lr4, it always gives me an error: "Adobe Lightroom is not finished writing metadata changes into XMP..."

If I wait 5 seconds or so before attempting to close Lr4, I dont get the error. This error is 100% reproducible in every situation I have tried including in a brand new Lr4 made catalog with just one image in it.

I can not get this error to occur on Lr3 even with my catalogue of over 30,000 pictures.

Can you generate this error?

If so, I suspect this error is related to the performance problem of Lr4. It suggests that Lr4 is indeed occupied doing something that Lr3 was not busy doing.

Regards

Kirk

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to BCormier

I run i5@4.5ghz, 8GB ram, W7sp1. Initial impressions with LR4 beta were also general sluggishness in navigating around and when switching between 100% pictures to build the 1:1 previews. For me it improved when I deleted the folder "Previews.lrdata" (but kept the catalogue file!) and had LR4 rebuild the previews/100% views from scratch not relying on old database import from LR3.5 (appx 25000 pics). Also, the thing which I noticed is that in Library mode initially zooming into 100% view to build full view takes a bit more time than in Develop mode. But as it is currently only about 1.5 seconds for LR to build full 100% view, then it is not too bad compared with LR3.5 (roughly 1 sec). Sliders move around very smoothly and adjustments appear instantly as well.

Just in case, CrapCleaned the registry and installed fresh set of video card drivers as well. Did not make much difference but made me feel a bit better

Probably the reasonable thing to do is first unistall 4 beta before going for 4 full (I did not do that) but when looking at the installation of LR4 full, seems it unistalls beta anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to Kirk Kelln

If I develop a photo then immediately close Lr4, it always gives me an error: "Adobe Lightroom is not finished writing metadata changes into XMP..."

If I wait 5 seconds or so before attempting to close Lr4, I dont get the error. This error is 100% reproducible in every situation I have tried including in a brand new Lr4 made catalog with just one image in it.

Do you have "Automatically write changes into xmp" checked in catalog settings->metadata ? If so, that is a well-known performance hog. Most people do not need to have this setting checked as it is only useful if you want to load the images in Photoshop without simply telling Lightroom to open the image but by using Bridge or by opening the image directly in Photoshop. My guess is that you somehow have this setting checked in your LR 4 catalog and not in your LR 3 catalog.

|
    Mark as:
  • Kirk Kelln
    16 posts
    Nov 20, 2009
    Mar 10, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to Jao vdL

I have WRITE CHANGES checked. However, this is not my point. I have it checked for BOTH Lr3.6 and 4. When I open 3.6 using any catalog - from a brand new one with ojnly 1 photo to my 30k catalog, if pic an image, go into DEVLOP and change just about anything, then immediately click the CLOSE button, Lightroom closes without issue. However, in Lr4, regardless of which catalog I use (when I have WRITE CHANGES turned on), if I perform the exact same experiment, I get the error 100%^ of the time. If I wait a few seconds then attempt to close Lr4, I do not get the error. This strongly suggests that Lr3.6 and Lr4 are behaving very differently behjjind the scenes. Lr3 deals with my changes and writes them into the XMP faster than I can move my mouse up and click the close button. Lr4 takes about 3 seconds to write exactyl the same data. On my machine, which is a rocket ship, that is very telling.

Can you try this experiment and see if you have the same finding.

Regards,

Kirk

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to Kirk Kelln

It probably realizes it needs to rewrite the xmp for every single image in

your catalog when you do your change. Try explicitly saving metadata for

all files in your catalog (command-S with all selected) and wait until

that's finished and then do your test.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to Kaur 100

Tried the rebuild previews at 100% workaround - no improvement for me.  I've been trying every workaround posted and haven't had any improvements.

Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to BCormier

Same here ... I face the same sluggishness issue with LR4.... I expected the final release would fix the problem but it takes so much time rendering compared to LR3.6 ... I hope Adobe fixes this soon ... was actually planning of upgrading to LR4 but will hold for now

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 2:15 PM   in reply to BCormier

I too am experiencing slowness on even an SSD drive with 16 g of ram, i7 2600k 3.4 ghz, i built this machine to be a lighroom dominator.  I will wait another month or two before i upgrade.  Maybe they will work it out.  I only have burning software, lightroom 4 and CS5 on this machine. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Kirk Kelln
    16 posts
    Nov 20, 2009
    Mar 10, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to Jao vdL

I will try that. But can you please try your rig. Just open lr4, go into develop, make a change, then immediately exit lr4 by clicking the X in the corner. Do you get the error?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to BCormier

I'm running Windows Vista 32bit on a Q6600 2.4Ghz (OC'd to 2.7Ghz) with 4 gigs of ram (Vista 32 only recognizes 3.2 gig of memory) and LR2 and 3 always ran fine but as with most in this thread I'm experiencing the same slow, laggy, slugish behavior.  As others have stated I assumed that it was the beta and the LR4 gold would correct the problems but it hasn't other than being a little more polished.

Something that I've been trying with what seems like a positive effect has been going into LR4 Library Module and selecting a few images or even an entire directory that has already been converted to the 2012 Process and going to Library, Convert Photo to DNG.  Even though all of my images are already in DNG format (from as far back as LR2) it appears to do something to the DNG existing images.  In previous Lightroom versions when you ran the converter on existing DNG files it said it was done immediately but now it takes a little bit to complete.  After the the Convert process is done the Develop module seems to run much more smoothly.  Any Mask options like the Brush or Healing tool work fine also untill I get over a dozen history states then they start to slow some.  The develop slider (for me at least) respond almost instantly as opposed to directories where I have't run the Convert to DNG option on.  I have the Convert options set to default as far as Only Convert Raw Files, Delete originals, and Embed Fast Load Data are the only boxes checked and my JPEG Preview is set to None.  I don't know if the Embed Fast Load Data is really being generated after the fact since the files are already DNG but something seems to be helping as compared to the files and directories that I have not 'Converted'.  I've also played with the Update DNG Preview & Metadata but that didn't seem to have much effect. 

If anyone else cares to give this a shot, let us know if it has any effect for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to Kirk Kelln

UNSUBSCRIBE ME PLEASE!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to abischnell01

If you need to adjust e-mails you get on threads you may have posted in, you need to make the changes to your "preferences" in your account.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 9:52 PM   in reply to BCormier

Have any of you tried converting some or all of your raw files to the latest DNG to see if there is any speed improvement?

I convert all my photos to DNG - a personal preference, but I'm in the process of converting the DNG's to the latest dng - not the lossy format.

My conversion from LR3.5 / LR4 beta has been

• back up catalog
    • delete the previews file
    • convert / upgrade the catalog
    • Edit>Convert Photos to DNG, turning off the only convert RAW files and making sure the lossy conversion was off.

As I'm converting 500 images, it's going to take a while, so until then, the question stands

Does converting to the latest verstion of DNG help with speed improvements?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 9:59 PM   in reply to Jeff 2011

Like so many on this thread, I too found Lightroom 4 unusably slow. Picking up on what Jeff 2011 said, I went into one of my folders and selected a single Canon cr2 raw file and converted the image to DNG...that's right, just the one image. Somehow this seems to have flipped a switch in Lightroom 4, because now (so far) everything is running much, much faster-more like Lightroom 3 behaved. This is true for all of my Canon raw files, Fuji raw files and iPhone jpegs, including images using either the 2012 process version or the 2010 version . I'm running on a 2011 MacBook Pro with 8 gigs of RAM, under Mac OS X 10.7.3.

I still have to run it through some more paces, but Lightroom 4 is now very responsive for me, even with all of the modules active. I'll post a follow-up if I find anything changes. It's really very bizarre to me that converting a file could change the behavior of the program, but it does feel like somehow it fliped a switch or changed a mode that the sofware was running in when first installed. This really is something Adobe needs to address right away.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 5:30 AM   in reply to George Murphy

"converted the image to DNG"

Sorry to be dim George. I never use DNG so don't know where to find the 'convert' command.

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 6:01 AM   in reply to mrboyd

I built a PC in Dec 2011 - 16GB ram, i7-3930k (3.2GHz)., etc.

The other day I was doing an import using Lightroom 4, and somehow it used 100% of my memory.  Yeah, Lightroom 4 chewed up 16gb of ram.  I never saw anything like that with Lightroom 3.

Adobe, please, please refine the engine in Lightroom 4 to make it perform better.  Right now, it's slow, sluggish and resource hungry, even for basic tasks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to BCormier

So disapointed in LR4 I just uninstalled it, will wait for fixes or version 5. So slow.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 5 ... 43 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points