• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert original image to sharp Line art?

Participant ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

I have a image i want to convert orginal image to sharp lineart how can i do photoshop CS3 please help me.

one reference image is attached

kathak.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beyond simple functions that produce only limited results, like the Filter - Stylize - Find Edges function, I don't think what you want is a trivial request.

I have heard of "auto tracing" features in other programs or in 3rd party plug-ins, but I've not personally seen anything that will just give you results much beyond what Find Edges and a little Curves manipulation can do.

FoundEdges.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your prompt reply Noel the entire picture lines are disturbed, i am attached one line art image for your reference, if any chance we can convert the image in same quality please help this

katha.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if any chance we can convert the image in same quality please help this

Personally I currently see no realistic option for achieving such a result automatically.

I would recommend Illustrator – Object > Live Trace may provide a starting point, but I guess a lot of manual improvements/tracing may be necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also going to recommend Find Edges but when I did it I think I must have used a low res image of what was posted above and I got a lot of pixelation.

As far as other programs are concerned I would consider Adobe Illustrator's Live Trace options although the word is that Live Trace does not replace Manual Tracing which is painstakingly long for a complex image such as this one.  But you do get crisp vector results.  I don't know what you can do in Fireworks.  Adobe Flash also has a vectorization option but I'm not sure you'll get black-and-white art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks markerline & c.pfaffenbichler i am making brochure that brochure we used a line art image for a particular dance in different state, client send a highres JPG file. but i am  try that in photoshop but i dont get good result as similar to noel post, if anybody know how can i convert to sharp line art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the others already said - no chance of doing this in PS. It needs to be traced in Illustrator.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to simplify the image before you try to find its edges, or trace it. I would convert the background to a layer, smart object it, and run a blur filter to remove details, then run the edge finding, or tracing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As others have said I dont think you will be able to convert the image you have posted to look like the result you want from the other image you posted, the detail in the original is just to high. I use the method described below for doing my line art in Photoshop and it works well but you seem to want to reduce your image to a much simplier representation. I have used this site before, it used to be free but now I think you only get a couple of free credits when you join, convert a photo to line drawing, quite simple to use and you can select to remove noise which might reduce the complexity of the original image.

In Photoshop try:

Duplicate original layer

Change top layer color mode to color dodge

Invert top layer

Apply Gaussian blur (choose low pixel radius for less detail so reducing image complexity)

Add adjustment layer and set saturation to be -100

Retouch anywhere with brush tool to complete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines