Skip navigation
bigel82
Currently Being Moderated

Error Message When Recording

Mar 8, 2012 8:55 AM

Hello I am constantly getting an error when  I try to record in Adobe Audition CS5.5. It keeps saying the input and output device sample rates don't match. So I cannot record my voice. What do I do?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to bigel82

We really need to know a bit more about your setup before we can help. What soundcard and operating system are you using. It sounds rather like the usual Win 7 audio drivers c**kup.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to bigel82

You'll need to make sure that the sample rate for your input and output channels of your device match.

1. Right-click on the speaker icon in the lower-right corner of your desktop and choose Recording Devices

Screen shot 2012-03-08 at 10.36.54 AM.png

2. Right-click the Microphone (or desired input channel for the device) and choose Properties

Screen shot 2012-03-08 at 10.37.13 AM.png

3. Click the Advanced tab and verify or change the Default Format option

Screen shot 2012-03-08 at 10.37.25 AM.png

4. Click OK then click the Playback tab.  Right-click on your default or desired output channel and choose Properties

Screen shot 2012-03-08 at 10.37.39 AM.png

5. Make sure the Default Format option matches what you selected for your recording channel.  (You'll notice in this screenshot, my playback device is configured for 48,000Hz while my microphone was configured for 44,100Hz.  These need to match.)

Screen shot 2012-03-08 at 10.37.50 AM.png

6. In Audition, create a new session.  For best results, ensure your session sample rate matches the sample rates you selected for your decices.  Audition will attempt to convert the sample rate of your recording on-the-fly to match the session sample rate, but it's always recommended to work at a single, consistent sample rate to ensure no change to the audio signal takes place.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to bigel82

I'm glad Durin replied with his graphics--trying to explain that lot in text only is a bit of a pain.

The only thing to add is that you may have to do this again for future sessions--one of the pains of Vista is that it allows other software to grab the sound settings and adjust them--so if, for example, you've just watched a Youtube video with 48kHz audio, but want to record at 44.1, Windows may have left the settings at the last ones used.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 3:28 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

I think Durin's reply should be made sticky (with a different title) or made easily available in FAQs.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 4:48 AM   in reply to ryclark

Agreed.

The obscure way that Windows forces you to do any audio set up has become the number one question on these forums, totally supplanting the former "how do I delete vocals" question.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 9, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to ryclark

ryclark wrote:

I think Durin's reply should be made sticky (with a different title) or made easily available in FAQs.

'Sticky' as a concept doesn't exist on these forums, but I've put it into the FAQs with appropriate credits. If you want to change the title, or anything else about it, then let me know.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 5:58 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

How about "Setting Sample Rate in Windows Vista and 7" or similar.

And, yeah, these forums are more about "icky" than "sticky".

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 9, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to Bob Howes

Bob Howes wrote:

How about "Setting Sample Rate in Windows Vista and 7" or similar.

Okay I've modified the title (and added 'the') and tidied up the naming so that it uses forum names.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points