Skip navigation
NFB_VM
Currently Being Moderated

Desktop AIR 3.2 support for StageVideo and Multi-threaded video decoding

Mar 9, 2012 8:06 AM

Tags: #air #video #desktop #3.2 #stagevideo #multi-threaded

StageVideo was omitted from the desktop version of AIR 3.1. Has it been added to AIR 3.2?

Or is the Multi-threaded video decoding supposed to be the alternative solution to StageVideo in AIR 3.2?

If so, is the mult-threaded video decoding only for H.264? Or does it support Spark and On2 VP6 as well?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2012 7:48 AM   in reply to NFB_VM

I would like to know this too!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 9:32 AM   in reply to NFB_VM

I've been wondering the same thing. Why is there support on iOS, Android, and the browser, but not the desktop? Shouldn't the GPUs supported by Stage3D also be accessable to StageVideo? It's really confusing why this wouldn't be in AIR on the desktop, or even in the road map for AIR on the desktop. Looking at the white paper, it looks like they're adding multithreading to ActionScript next (like web workers), which, super awesome feature, but that still doesn't solve the desktop video bottlenecks. I'm about to see if the 3.2 SDK solves the performance issues I'm seeing. Hopefully I don't need to split my 1 application into many applications just to play more than one video at a time.

Adobe, if you're listening, people are actually doing this! Please add support!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to jeffreytgilbert

As expected, the dedicated decoder threading for videos has increased the performance slightly for decoding videos by raising the cpu load for decoding 2 videos from ~100% to ~200%... I'm still testing with more videos, but the bottleneck here is the CPU not the GPU, so there does not seem to be any improvement from StageVideo class performance improvements with AIR 3.2's runtime updates. Sorry friends.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 1:42 AM   in reply to jeffreytgilbert

Multi-threaded video decoding is independent of StageVideo. It improves performance on all platforms, including CPU and GPU based decoding. The difference will be more notable with CPU based decoding though.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to NFB_VM

There must bee some hidden marketing  secred why Adobe dose not want to implement this in the desktop version.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 11:35 PM   in reply to NFB_VM

From an adobe evangelist, stageVideo is not active for Air desktop and they admit that's Air is fragmented but they don't exclude to add stagevideo support for desktop application in a futur release... but nothing is sure.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points