Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting shapes from Ilustrator CS5 to Flash CS5.5

Mar 7, 2012 6:01 AM

Hi, I'm doing a cartoon in Flash CS5.5. I wish I could export an orange (a circle shape) from Illustrator to Flash. No problem I can do it. The problem is that I cannot export only the shape...I mean: the orange; it comes inside a square. When I try to put orange 1 close to orange 2 the square's vertex cover orange's shape. Do you understand what I mean?  Would you mind gimme a hand?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2012 1:26 AM   in reply to MXMXVR

If Flash rasterizes the artwork, then ite means the appearance is too complex to retain vectors. in that case you can just as well export a PNG from AI and use that in Flash.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 5:28 AM   in reply to MXMXVR

you can save the file as web and devices , so that the background became transparent and then you can use it.

while saving the file in web and devices choose PNG format.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to MXMXVR

have you tried copy/paste

aiToFlash.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to MXMXVR

that screen shot you see up there....I did the impossible.

if you haven't, try plan C

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to MXMXVR

from Flash Documentation...I used Paste Using AI File Importer Preferences

Copy and pasting between Illustrator and Flash

If you copy and paste (or drag-and-drop) artwork between Illustrator and Flash, the Paste dialog box appears, which provides import settings for the AI file being copied (or pasted).

Paste As Bitmap
    Flattens the file being copied into a single bitmap object.
    Paste Using AI File Importer Preferences
    Imports the file using the AI file import setting specified in Flash Preferences (Edit > Preferences).
    Apply Recommended Import Settings To Resolve Incompatibilities
    Enabled by default when Paste Using AI File Importer Preferences is selected. Automatically fixes any incompatibilities detected in the AI file.
    Maintain Layers
    Enabled by default when Paste Using AI File Importer Preferences is selected. Specifies that layers in the AI file be converted to Flash layers (the same as if you selected Convert To Flash Layers from the AI Import dialog box). If deselected, all layers are flattened into a single layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 6:20 PM   in reply to MXMXVR

don't worry, I would never treat you or anyone here as a retarded

is your layer locked?

aiToFlashLockedLayer.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to MXMXVR

Why does this pencil have such a large bounding box in Illustrator?

Your problem might be in how your objects are created. Turn on the transparency grid in Illustrator and check your objects.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to MXMXVR

is that pencil a raster image? the white box you see are white pixels. You need to "vectorize" it first.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to MXMXVR

You should start with learning the difference between raster and vector images. Then learn different techniques of how to draw vector images. Perhaps read the manual. There are lots of video tutorial movies linked in the manual. Watch them.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to MXMXVR

I agree with Monika, you should start by reading the help files, watch videos, or whatever your learning technique is, whatever you did to learn flash, ditto for illustrator.

just to help you not to go crazy, and to complete you transfer Illustrator to Flash question, do this, and by all means it won't get you the desired result quality-wise, but merely to complete the exercise.

- select your pencil

- click on the "Live Trace Button" in the Control Panel

- click on the "Expand" button

- tap "Y" on your keyboard to get the Magic Wand Tool

- click on a white area in your pencil image (with the Magic Wand)

- remove the fill (click on the [None] color swatch)

put you image against a dark background or turn on the Transparency Grid to make sure you got rid of the white areas, before you copy/paste into flash

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 8:49 PM   in reply to MXMXVR

If this is something you think would work for you I will do a tutorial as a video but you will have to do a little reading on how to use illustrator and the tools and the difference between vector and raster images as the others have suggested.

Screen Shot 2012-03-09 at 11.39.50 PM.png

Notice that when I select the group of objects they are in fact separate parts as opposed to one image that has no parts such as a raster image.

Screen Shot 2012-03-09 at 11.40.02 PM.png

Here it is psted in Flash and as you can see it has not white background now if this is detaied enough for your purposes I will do a video?

Screen Shot 2012-03-09 at 11.42.26 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to MXMXVR

Here is a tutorial it will give also the idea behind some of the basics of Illustrator but if you know flash then you should have some idea how the tools work.

Also you can use the first step I take wwith the pen tool to outline the image and then instead of creating the pencil use that outline as a clipping mask.

I'll explain that next.

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/PencilTutorial.mov

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Here is what you do to make a clipping mask.

In this case you do not turn your image into a template you just leave as it is placed in AI.

Then you trace the outline of the pencil as below the blue lines are the pen tools path.

Screen Shot 2012-03-10 at 1.58.50 PM.png

Then you select the image and the traced outline path

then you go to Object>Clipping Mask>Make

then to add the drop shadow you select the art and go to Effect>Stylize>Drop Shadow

then you copy and paste int flash and you get this

Screen Shot 2012-03-10 at 2.00.08 PM.png

But I think with the kind of art you need you might find it better to creating it all ove and then you will more easily make it to your own requirements if you do not like the swipe art.

and of course you avoid copyright issues.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points