Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Retain A Collection's Manual Sort Order ?

Mar 9, 2012 2:31 PM

Tags: #collection

Why is this forum so difficult to use ?

I have a question that I cannot search for, and which deletes my search text when it heads into this posting. This makes no sense to me, since I'm sure the problem I have was covered ages ago.

The simple 21 image CS5 Bridge collection I created does not sort manually in the order that the images were added to the collection.

Neither does the Output panel retain my individually selected order.

Is there some secret to retaining either a collection's orginal creation order, or a selection's order so I can use this to output to a PDF in the order as I intended ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to plasticAnimal

On the search.  The secret is to use google or some other search engine.  Never had much luck with Abobe.

Not sure what you mean with "The simple 21 image CS5 Bridge collection I created does not sort manually in the order that the images were added to the collection".  If you have it on manual sort you have to arrange the images by click and drag. 

Now if you sort and it does not retain sort after rebooting Bridge, you probably have "load Bridge on startup".  Go into advanced preferences and uncheck this option, reboot and you should be OK.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to plasticAnimal

Do you have the sort order of the screen set to manual?  Don't think the order you enter them will affect it unless you do it on manual.  Then it should remember it even if you click on sort by filename and then go back to manual.  At least it does this with a smart collection.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to plasticAnimal

Have you tried this with smart collections as well as just collections?  Smart collections operate a little differently.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 10, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to plasticAnimal

It seems the collection .filelist file is never maintained in the order of the original image as added, so it seems there is no solution to this problem that I can see.

I'll try rearranging them again but that doesn't make much sense to me.

It looks like the collection default order is like the folder hierarchy you dragging files from and not first dragged is also first in the list. If that is smart or dumb behavior might be depending on the point of view...

Every sort order set changes immediately to manual once you start moving files your self. But that said, like Curt stated, they order you made should stay visible in the Output Module.

If this is not the case you could try a workspace reset or a preferences reset (hold down option-Mac / ctrl-Windows) while restarting Bridge. (this might also reset the start Bridge at login to on)

Check if it keeps the manual order now.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 12, 2012 1:46 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Hi there,

I tired to reply on forums.adobe.com/message/4225665, but it was "readonly". Same issue here...

it's Tobi from Germany, using Bridge CS4. I had the same problem, Bridge not saving the order of images. I got it solved by detecting that the problem always occured when i used Germanic umlaut for the collections title names. maybe you should check your spelling too and only use "english" characters.

in

C:Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Adobe\Bridge CS4

you have two important folders:

/Collections

/UserSort

and in /UserSort you only should have exactly one more file than in /Collections. In my case by using Germanic umlaut i had like some hundred more. Then you should check UserSort/index.xml. Open it using your prefered editor (like Notepad++) and check the spelling of your collections paths.

In order to exchange your collections with other users or devices you should always copy both folder, "Collections" and "UserSort" and in UserSort/index.html you should adjust the paths, changing the user directory.

Or, Adobe wakes up and adds an export/import-feature to Bridge and solves the character-issue!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points