Skip navigation
drlke
Currently Being Moderated

Question about Print Resolution settings in LR4--

Mar 10, 2012 7:52 AM

Under the PRINT module in LR4 -- Print Job --- Print REsolution

How do I reconcile the difference between 1440 dpi versus the max resolutionon my Canon Pro 9500 Mark II resolution of 2400x4800?

AND

Any idea how to select a "non-canon" paper profile -- other than choosing matte or glossy -- such as using epson Signature papers?

thanks for any input!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 10, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to drlke

How do I reconcile the difference between 1440 dpi versus the max resolutionon my Canon Pro 9500 Mark II resolution of 2400x4800?

That's easy. They are not the same thing. The 2400x4800 number is likely a density of ink droplets that can be put down on the paper by the printer. These dots are usually laid down in a (random) pattern and they overlap. In order to built a tone, you need many of those droplets (or empty areas without a droplet) and so the actual resolution of this printer is far lower than that. The resolution you set in Lightroom is a pixel resolution. In the image sent to the printer driver, it has that many pixels of a full R,G, and B scale. In general, not scaling in the print panel might be preferred. However if your native resolution (turn on the Dimensions guide to make LR calculate it for you) drops below 240 or so, you should probably scale up to between 300 and 600 for this printer. If you scale, you do not need more than about 600 ppi in that field. You're just wasting resources above that number for a difference that is invisible to everybody but superman (you'll need a microscope to see any difference above that or to put your nose flush with the paper and use a magnifying glass). It really all depends on viewing distance, file resolution, sharpening applied (actually that one is extremely important), and printer, so experiment a little to get results you prefer.

Any idea how to select a "non-canon" paper profile -- other than choosing matte or glossy -- such as using epson Signature papers?

thanks for any input!

In the Color managmenent tab use the Profile popup. Choose "other" and you'll get a list of paper profiles installed in your operating system. Check the ones you want to show up. Make sure to select the correct profile for your paper and the right rendering intent. Lightroom should automatically turn off color management in your printer driver when you select a profile in the popup. The "Matte/Glossy" media type popup you talk about is not for color management but determines the sharpening algorithm that is applied to the output.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to drlke

You need to either choose the closest paper or to download and install the

correct profile for this printer/paper combo. If the profile doesn't exist

(it is not unlikely that Epson doesn't provide profiles for Canon printers)

you can create a profile for it using a spectrophotometer or by printing a

test chart and ending the print to a profiling service.

Sent from my iPad

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to drlke

Yeah I would be quite surprised if Epson offered those. Many third party

paper manufacturers (Moab (http://moabpaper.com/), Hahnemuhle

http://www.hahnemuehle.com/site/en/169/home.html, etc.) will have profiles

for your printer with their papers though

|
    Mark as:

More Like This