Skip navigation
crazyche
Currently Being Moderated

Path does not exist

Nov 8, 2011 2:29 PM

Since friday my laptop started displaying the message "The specified path does not exist" whenenver I try to open any PDF in Acrobat Reader 9.0. I upgraded to 9.4, then upgraded again to 10.0. Finally I uninstalled all and downloaded a fresh 10.0, up to no avail. By the way, my OS is Windows XP. HELP! Im a teacher and need my classes desperately!

Replies
  • George Johnson
    11,676 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 8, 2011 6:32 PM   in reply to crazyche

Does this happen when you double-click a file or when you open Reader and select "File > Open", or both?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 9, 2011 8:34 PM   in reply to crazyche

Not sure what is causing this; if that happened to me, I would try a System Restore to a date before the problem started.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 9, 2011 8:35 PM   in reply to crazyche

P.S. when doing a System Restore, you may need to reinstall programs you have installed since that System Restore Point.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2011 8:04 PM   in reply to crazyche

What could be causing this - a broken shortcut?

Do you get the same message when opening Adobe Reader directly from C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader (by double-clicking AcroRd32.exe)?

Can you post a screenshot of that message?

If the error also occurs when opening AcroRd32.exe directly, then you may need to watch what's going on with something like Process Monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2011 5:01 PM   in reply to crazyche

Basically you run Process Monitor, then start the faulty application and watch what it is doing.

There is a filtering capability, but since we don't know what is causing the error, we don't know what to filter.

Unfiltered, the output can be huge, but I don't see any other way of diagnosing what is causing that error.

Can you try that, then attach the log file to your next post?  Or if it's too large, you can email it to me; I will send you a PM with my private email address.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 3:31 AM   in reply to crazyche

Dear sirs.

I'm having the same problem. When I try to open any PDF file (even AcroRd32.exe file) it gives to me the following error: "The specified path does not exit". Can you help me? I sent in attach the error.Adobe reader error.JPG

Thanks and regards.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to crazyche

Temporary Fix!!!

I discovered this same problem today on an XP machine and at this time can't explain what caused it but it is working at the moment.  I hope this is helpful for someone. It was a headache for me and I lost valuable time trying to figure it out.

1.  I checked all paths and variables.  Everything looked good.

2.  I uninstalled 10.1.2 and reinstalled.  Still no Good

3.  I uninstalled 10.1.2 and reinstalled 10.1.1.  Still no Good

4.  I checked all the registry paths.  They "appear" to be correct.

5.  I renamed acrord32.exe to bob.exe and double clicked it.  Adobe opened successfully.

6.  I renamed it to reader32.exe and double clicked it again.  Adobe opened successfully.

7.  I then double clicked a PDF file and browsed to the new reader32.exe Adobe Reader Executable.

8.  I clicked the box always use this programs as default.  <-- no exact.  going off memory.

9.  Double checked that PDF's open in Explorer, IE, Outlook, Etc.  I am able to open all PDF files again.

NOTE:  I dont know what caused this or why renaming the .exe fixes it, but it has allowed me to continue working for the day.  I also dont know what kind of problems this will create when updating to a new version of adobe reader later down the road. 

Chris Rahm

RahmTech Computing, Inc.

www.rahmtech.com

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 8:29 PM   in reply to ChrisRahm

This is very interesting; and somewhat even more mysterious than the original problem!

What happens if you rename the executable back to its original name AcroRd32.exe ?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 3:58 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Rename it to acrord32.exe and I start receiving the same error msg bruno does in the image above.  It really is strange.  We have seen spyware programs prevent removal software from running based off its name and we would have to rename the software in order for it to run long enough to remove infections, but I have never seen or understand why that would be the case for Adobe Reader.  What would be the purpose. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 6:47 PM   in reply to ChrisRahm

Very strange, indeed!  I do not understand why this is happening, nor the meaning of the error message.

What I would do if I had this happening on a computer available to me, is try to observe it with Process Monitor.  This way we could potentially understand what "path" it is referring to.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 3:28 AM   in reply to crazyche

Hi again.

The temporary solution that I found to work correctly with Adobe was rename the acrord32.exe file to another name like acrord32222.exe for example like ChrisRahm did.

If I changed the name to the original one acrord32.exe the same error appeared.

A few weeks ago I ran the autoruns.exe windows program that you can find in internet. It found an incorrect link to acrord32.exe in windows registry ("File not found..."). I deleted it and renamed the acrord32222.exe file to the original one acrord32.exe. Now Adobe Acrobat works in my XP.

Can you try it in yours?

Regards from Portugal.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 5:38 AM   in reply to bruno_bfb

This computer I discovered the same problem on does not belong to myself.  I will have access to it again in a couple of weeks and will definately check out the process monitor and autruns.exe as the both of you recommend.  Thanks for your advice and I will try to remember to get back here and post an update a couple of weeks from now.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to ChrisRahm

It appears that renaming it worked for opening PDF documents but not printing.    I was able to remotely log back in this morning and run autoruns.exe and locate the "File Not Found" Issue bruno mentioned above and deleted it.  I then redirected PDF file assocations to the default acrord32.exe from my renamed reader.exe, restarted the computer and now adobe reader is reading and printing as expected. 

Thanks everyone for your input on this situation.

Chris Rahm

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 9:05 PM   in reply to bruno_bfb

bruno_bfb wrote:

It found an incorrect link to acrord32.exe in windows registry

Do you recall what the registry key was with the incorrect link?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 3:04 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

I just remember that the incorrect registry key was placed in the "image path" of autoruns.exe. The message was "File not found: c:\program files\Adobe Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to bruno_bfb

Mine wasnt the fault of Adobe and unfortionately I cant offer up the exact path.  It was pointing to an I:\ drive in a folder that references one of those free registry cleaning tools (Cant remember exact program) from the internet.  It appears that someone ran the tool from a flash drive and somewhere in the process, the registry entry for acrord32.exe was changed to point to the location of the registry cleaner folder.  I chaulked this up to buggy free registry repair tool problem and recommended that such software not be used in the future.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to ChrisRahm

Thank you both for your feedback.  I'm glad that there is a rational explanation for that mysterious occurrence. We will know better where to look if that ever comes up again.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to crazyche

I hope you are still looking here for help. I have the same problem. I put the following info into a reply to a reply I received. This may be something that helps. "I tried modifying the registry and it did not help. What may be wrong is that I have Adobe Digital Editions also installed on this computer in the same Adobe directory. Digital Editions is what I use to download/read books from the public library (and side-load onto my Nook). I think I saw someplace where you can't have two different versions of Reader loaded at the same time. What makes me think this is I changed the .pdf association from Reader to Digital Editions and can now open and print files using Digital Editions. I'm not sure Digital Editons was meant to replace Reader, but this may offer a solution. Please let me know if others have downloaded Digital Editons and are having this problem. I wonder if moving Digital Editions to its own folder would help. I am just about at the point of reformatting and putting on Windows 7. Now I am not sure if this would correct the problem. Thanks for your reply and help."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points