Skip navigation
kobywan16
Currently Being Moderated

Elements 10 Playback uses 100% CPU 0% GPU

Mar 8, 2012 11:50 PM

When I play back a video clip in the Elements 10 environment the video is choppy and my system is using 100% CPU and 0% GPU.  When I play back the same files in Sony PMB the CPU runs at about 15% and the GPU runs at about 50%.

Is there a way to get Elements 10 to use the GPU?

System Specs:

Windows Vista SP2

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.8GHz

3 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

Video Files are 1080i 5.1 m2ts.

I am using the trail software now and will buy if I can get it working.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2012 3:30 AM   in reply to kobywan16

Unlike Premiere Pro, PRE doesn't use the GPU.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to kobywan16

I wish you'd have asked Adobe while you had them on the line!

I've also seen very little evidence that the program (with the exception of a few effects) uses GPU.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 7:48 AM   in reply to kobywan16

Certainly when rendering PRE uses as much of the processor capacity as possible (somewhere in these forums I posted a screen shot showing all my four cores at 100%).

But in normal use I don't notice it hogging all processor power. I wonder if you have selected the right project setting for your video.

• What Sony camera are you using?
    • What format did you record the video in?
    • How did you get the clips onto your PC?
    • What project setting did you use when you created your project?
    • Do you see red lines across the top of the timeline when you first add your video to the timeline?
    • As you edit your clips the timeline will show red lines - to perform a render press [Enter] and wait for the lines to go green.
    • Are you using still images in the project? What pixel dimensions are they?

You might find these articles helpful:

PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some TipsClean, Lean & Mean Editing Machine - One Workflow

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to kobywan16

The lack of red lines at import means you have a matching project preset and you should therefore get good performance so it's puzzling. You should definitely work your way through those two linked articles - especially disable your anti-virus and any 'smart defragmenters' during an editing session.

If I follow you correctly you shot in 1080p (not supported by PRE) and converted to 1080i with the Sony PMB software.

As an experiment shoot some footage in 1080i, create a new project using NTSC> "Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders"> Full HD 1080i 30 project setting and import the clip directly to PRE without going through the Sony PMB program. See how that works out and post back here.

I've seen the PC Pro review before. Note that they tested with a 120fps clip - a frame rate not supported by PRE. I like (a lot) PRE but I use two competitor products for DV Splitting and Image Stabilization. These then become my source clips in my PRE project and at the end, if I need more control than PRE Authoring, I may use Sony DVD Architect Studio for final authoring.

Pretty much every NLE Video program has particular strengths (even the humble Windows Movie Maker can convert some formats PRE may nor be able to) so download the Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 trial and see how you get on with it.

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 10:30 PM   in reply to kobywan16

On my computer, I know that Premiere Elements 10 - 32bit does use the GPU for previewing. I've used EVGAPrecision to monitor the GPU usage of my NVidia GeForce 9400 GT card. The video stream needs to be AVC/h.264. Other codecs don't make use of the GPU for previewing on my system. When it comes to sharing, the GPU isn't used for rendering. My CPU is a Pentium 4, 3GHz HT.

To get smooth playback of HD video on my slow system, I start off playback at a very slow speed using SHIFT -  L key combination. I'm using EVGAPrecision to monitor the frames per second. After the CTI is rolling, I press SHIFT - L again to speed it up to the next notch. I can do that for a total of 5 times and keep the FPS steady at about 15 fps. If I go one more time with SHIFT - L, the GPU goes up but the FPS drops down very low and becomes erratic, and the FPS can never recover to 15 FPS until I stop everything and start over.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but I thought I would throw it in.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 5:06 AM   in reply to Robert J. Johnston

Robert J. Johnston wrote:

I know that Premiere Elements 10 - 32bit does use the GPU for previewing ... The video stream needs to be AVC/h.264.

That's handy to know, thanks for the information.

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 12:51 AM   in reply to kobywan16

Premiere Elements does use the GPU, but only for displaying. Not decoding, not encoding, only for display. This, it cannot avoid, since the monitor on which the display is directed happens to be connected to the GPU if you have one. That is it. The last time they did use the GPU (ver 8, I think) it was not a success (and that is putting it very mildly). The other reason I am sure that this is the case is because if they did use the GPU, it would be advertised. The other guys (Pinnacle, Cyberlink etc) still have it on their boxes that they use the GPU.

Robert, what does Shift+L do?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 1:15 AM   in reply to VDOSurfer

Shift+L does a Shuttle Right (according to my keyboard shortcuts). But I really cannot do that from the UI. So isn't that a invalid shortcut? A shortcut that points to nothing in particular?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 4:06 AM   in reply to nealeh

Neale, I have to make a correction. The GPU is being used when playing back other video formats. It's as VDOSurfer explains. I'm sure I was thinking of something else at the time, but what I don't know.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 4:38 AM   in reply to VDOSurfer

VDOSurfer, Shift+L is Shuttle Right Slow. Shift + J is Shuttle Left Slow.

Make sure the timeline or the preview monitor panel has the focus. Then press Shift + L. That will start the CTI moving slowly. Each successive Shift+L will increase the playback speed to the next level. I forget how many levels there are.

I don't know what does or doesn't make a key combination invalid, or why it matters in this case. Maybe there's a button that's hidden that Shift+L is mapped to. This stuff has been around since version 1.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points