Skip navigation
StuartMartindale
Currently Being Moderated

Images viewed in elements organiser appear over saturated compared with acr or editor

Mar 11, 2012 3:32 PM

Tags: #color #organizer #elements_10 #oversaturated

Hi,

I've been struggling with this for some time now. When veiwing images in elements organiser (10) the images have started appearing more saturated than in either adobe camera raw or photoshop elements editor window. They used to always match. I've tried reseting all the colour presets, I've tried changing every setting I can find in acr and I've resorted to a full re-install of elements (including deleting the presets). None of thise have solved the problem.

I'm pretty sure it is the organiser view which is over saturated rather than acr / photoshop which is washed out as, although mostly quite subtle, sometimes the colours are pushed much too far. (I'm only describing it as saturation as that's how it looks - I couldn't say for sure that it is acutally a saturation setting rather than some other colour setting which is causing the issue).

Every so often  organiser updates it's images as I veiw them to match acr but I've not noticed any one reason why that happens - and if I shut organser down and restart it's back to over saturation again.

Any suggestions would be greatfully recieved,

Stuart Martindale

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 11, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to StuartMartindale

In the Editor's Color Settings, I use "Always Optimize for Computer Screens", and my images look the same in the Editor and the Organizer (even when I use full screen view in Organizer).

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to StuartMartindale

Hi Stuart,

I'm way out of my depth on printing calibrations, but FWIW, here's a couple of thoughts/questions:

1. PSE is targetted to the consumer/hobbyist market, so it's not surprising that there will be fewer options to precisely display what the image will look like when printed on a high-end commercial press, or maintain a consistent colour space between applications unless the images are optimized for computer viewing.
    2. The Elements+ add-in has a "Soft Proof" feature which may or may not accurately display that printing output.
    3. I thought the point of having an ICC profile installed for the printer/paper combination is supposed to correct colours when printing.

In short, what I'm saying is that using the sRGB colour space for images in both the Editor and the Organizer will at least ensure consistent colours when viewed in those apps.  When it's time to output to a high-end printing press, then it's time to either convert the colour space or use a profile to get the colours optimized for the specific press/paper combination that will be used.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 8:12 PM   in reply to StuartMartindale

Hi Stuart,

StuartMartindale wrote:

I just want the image shown in the organizer to match that in camera raw and photoshop elements, and for when I open an image to edit or print for it to use the adobe RGB profile it started with.

I hear you, but it seems that's asking too much of PSE -- I suspect that it's going to be one profile or the other profile all the time.

Ken

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points