Skip navigation
WebGuyDesign 70 posts
Apr 28, 2005
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Premiere Sucks LAG, don't buy!

Jan 28, 2012 11:18 PM

For the record, adobe premiere sucks!  Don’t buy this application if you are thinking about buying it!  Especially on PC, I’m trying to use the hero2 and another hd camera to complete footage with a soundtrack and the latency is horrible.  HORRIABLE . HORRIABLE .   any if I’m not clear a 3rd time HORRIABLE .

A simple 3 min video in hd quality is locking up my system and nothing works, I’m even running the video as small as possible with play back of ¼  there is still lag and slowness when brining new movies into the sequences to edit!

This problem simply sucks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2012 3:00 AM   in reply to WebGuyDesign

For your information, the correct spelling is "horrible", not "HORRIABLE . HORRIABLE".

You most likely have big problems wih your computer.  Please post detailed specs for your computer, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to WebGuyDesign

If you only want to vent... fine

If you want help, read below... try the steps and answer the questions... someone may be able to help

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037
    What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811
    What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037
    Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen

shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing
    For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
    For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/
    http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-gree n-render-bars.html
    Once you know exactly what it is you are editing, report back with that information...

and your project setting, and if there is a red line above the video in the timeline,

which indicates a mismatch between video and project
    More information needed for someone to help http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679
    Some is general about your computer and OS, some is specific to video editing
    Build a Configuration file http://www.piriform.com/speccy
    Brand/Model Computer (or Brand/Model Motherboard if self-built)
    How much system memory you have installed, such as 2Gig or ???
    Operating System version, such as Win7 64bit Pro... or whatevevr
    -including your security settings, such as are YOU the Administrator
    -and have you tried to RIGHT click the program Icon and then select
    -the Run as Administrator option (for Windows, not sure about Mac)
    Your Firewall settings and brand of anti-virus are you running
    Brand/Model graphics card, sush as ATI "xxxx" or nVidia "xxxx"
    -or the brand/model graphics chip if on the motherboard
    -and the exact driver version for the above graphics card/chip
    -and how much video memory you have on your graphics card
    Brand/Model sound card, or sound "chip" name on Motherboard
    -and the exact driver version for the above sound card/chip
    Size(s) and configuration of your hard drive(s)... example below
    -and how much FREE space is available on each drive (in Windows
    -you RIGHT click the drive letter while using Windows Explorer
    -and then select the Properties option to see used/free space)
    Windows Indexing is BAD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/676303
    While in Properties, be sure you have drive indexing set OFF
    -for the drive, and for all directories, to improve performance
    Some/Much of the above are available by going to the Windows
    Control Panel and then the Hardware option (Win7 option name)
    OR Control Panel--System--Hardware Tab--Device Manager for WinXP
    And the EXACT type and size of file that is causing you problems
    -for pictures, that includes the camera used and the pixel dimensions
    Plus Video-Specific Information http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220
    Read Bill Hunt on editing a VOB/MPG file http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549
    Edit Vob http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:How_do_I_import_VOB_files_/_edit _a_DVD

%3F
    Read Hunt on Using MOD/TOD files http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699990
    Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220
    If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF

THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section at the troubleshooting link
    Also read file troubleshooting http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407928.html
    Reset Corrupted Preferences = Press/HOLD Ctrl+Alt+Shift while starting program
    Read Bill Hunt on BSOD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/772169

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to WebGuyDesign

I am not sure if you wish help, or are just using the forum (hosted by Adobe, btw) as a platform to rant.

If the latter, OK, and sorry that your computer could not handle the program, and your footage.

If the former, then knowing a lot more detail, would be useful for folk here to help you tuneup, beefup and setup your computer for PrPro and your GoPro footage. Within John T's links, there is a request for more useful info - most of those questions can be found in this ARTICLE. Then, in his list, will be this ARTICLE, on some basic setup and tuneup. The rest of his links are very helpful too.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to WebGuyDesign

Your computer is the problem here not PP.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 6:39 PM   in reply to WebGuyDesign

For the record, I think Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium works really well. I'm not seeing any problems like you're having.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to WebGuyDesign

I'm guessing your computer sucks, because I have premiere editing HD like a champ on 3 properly configured PCs.

My I suggest Final Cut X for you. I hear it redefines video editing, and there are never technical issues.

Best of luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to Stephen_Spider

>>My I suggest Final Cut X for you. I hear it redefines video editing, and there are never technical issues.>>

J. D.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to jdmack01

Yes, Steven was being particularly mean - mean, but funny.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

The OP just wanted to rant. It's fine, but with no system details and no willingness to work with us, I'll be deleting this post shortly.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 7:16 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Kevin,

I agree, and completely understand. Some folk just do not want help, but only a platform.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 7:35 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

On second thought, let it stand. We're here for users no matter what. Deleting it would say the opposite. Thanks all.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to WebGuyDesign

[Personal insult removed]

To jdmack01 who said to get final cut you made me laugh, ADOBE>finalcut. Since no one has really posed a solution and since I know how to search the problem most likely is that elements doesn't like the .mp4 container that gopro uses and from what I found so far just resaving the file as a .mp4 using http://www.squared5.com/ might fix the problem, otherwise try updating your version of elements, I know that cs5 is now more h.264 friendly so I would imagine elements 10 would be as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to bertrenolds

Even though we're letting the thread stay, good manners are still required.  Thanks.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 7:48 PM   in reply to WebGuyDesign

I totally agree. This program is the pits. It locks the computer. The navigation is nonsensical. Some things you drag to the clip and other you have to select and click "done". Sometimes when you move a clip the gaps it leaves in the timeline automatically fills in and other times it leaves tha gap open. I am sure there is some setting that is causing this, but the fact that it is so inconsistent makes it a problem.

Half the things I try to edit open up in a pop up window. And to organize the clips you actually have to open another application. To add basic effects means navigating through a myriad of menus. It is one of the most frustrating programs to work with. Premiere Pro is actually easier - really.

I will say this. The effects are nice and the end result is typically good quality, but the navigation and the nonsensical timeline gaps will drive you nuts. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 7:53 PM   in reply to x_axis

"Sometimes when you move a clip the gaps it leaves in the timeline automatically fills in and other times it leaves tha gap open."

Stupid Computer!!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to x_axis

Welcome to the forum.

There are several Tools for editing, and also modifier keys that basically will toggle things like Ripple Edit to Insert Edit. The behavior will depend on which Tool is in use, or which modifier keys are used. If you are getting different behavior, then it is likely that you have chosen different Tools, or have modified the Tool's behavior. This might be a good time to read the Help File on the Editing Tools, their characteristics, and also the use of the modifier keys.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to WebGuyDesign

I think people are just getting frustrated because they are not use to permiere, keep playing with it and get more comfortable and I think you will change your opinion. Their isin't a better editing software on the commercial market for this price range, the next step up is a program that I imagine most couldn't afford and don't say final cut. And as far as your time line, it's not hard to go through it and look for gaps? All you really have to do is preview the video and look for black screens or scroll across the time line and see gaps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to bertrenolds

To the OP, or anyone, who is looking to remove multiple gaps in the Timeline, Ann Bens has a good TUTORIAL on how to do that quickly.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to WebGuyDesign

Unfortunately guys, I'm starting to feel like the gentleman who opened the thread. I'm a transplant from FCP and have had nothing but frustration and trouble with my Premiere 5.5. The trouble I'm having is not with the platform, but with the program itself. It seems as if it's one bug after another. My latest delima is, after I merge my clips with the sound files I get the error message,"This project contained a sequence that could not be opened". Extremely frustrated. I may have to give AVID a try.   Guru's if you can help me I would greatly appreciate it. Running an IMAC I7 with MAC OSX 10.5.8.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to Muhfahsa

You may need to install an audio codec, check to see that permiere supports the audio file you are trying to import. I am guessing you recorded you audio with something other then your camera so you may need to reencode the audio file to a supported audio format. Mac's are weird sometimes, for instance they don't support .m2v which is a sony codec unless you use premiere so this could be something similar, your mac or premiere doesn't like the audio codec you are using.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 7:13 PM   in reply to bertrenolds

Unfortunately I don't think that's the case here. I am using files from my Zoom H4N and i was in the middle of a project. I shut down, came back the next day and was locked out.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 9:13 PM   in reply to WebGuyDesign

You should change the topic to you have to pay to play, thats the name of the game. I wanted to film in HDV and I had to upgrade my computer, it wasn't that much. You can get a laptop that is capable but honestly who edits on a laptop? I built my quad amd for under $600 so don't tell me that is to much because it's not.

Muhfasa, locked out as in you can't open the project or as in it crashes when you open it? You could try rendering you entire project and saving it but I guess web guy was probably right in assuming you are on an underpowered mac, how is that possible since macs are so good and everyone pays way to much for them, I don't know ask someone that uses macs.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 9:57 PM   in reply to bertrenolds

@bertrends: Locked out as I can't enter the project. So theres no way for me to render it. My machines are not underpowered. It is not a Mac issue, it's a bug in Adobe Premiere.

@WebGuyDesign: I don't think you understand. I don't seem to have any of the issues you do. My stock Mac edits/renders fine. The problem is the bugs in the upgrade. But when Adobe works, it's awesome.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 10:13 PM   in reply to Muhfahsa

Can you open a new project? That sucks, hopefully your project wasn't to big and you can remake it. I think way back in the day I had a project get corrupted, maybe there is a way to fix the file but obviously this sucks. Your description makes it sound like you were getting a crash when opening an audio file not that you can no longer open a project you saved.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 8:14 PM   in reply to WebGuyDesign

I agree with WebGuyDesign. Adobe Premiere Elements sucks...

In fact I googled exactly that phrase because I am so fed up with it. Now I'm downloading a trial version of AP Pro to see if the sticky, tricky functionality of APE 10 only occurs with the Elements version. I have a Dell laptop with core i7 and 8 GB of ram so the computer can definitely handle the editing task... this light version of the software however is not up to the task.  I'm creating a video using stills with pan and zoom plus an narrative audio track.  I've found using/editing the pan and zoom to be unnecessarily  difficult as the timeline for placement of the crop boxes (pan and zoom) is difficult to impossible to edit on the timescale. Sometimes the edits don't take at all. Sometimes crop frames persist (after clearing crop frames) they don't appear in the editing window for crop frames but playing the clip reveals that they are still there and active!  Sometimes crop frames for the NEXT clip will appear when editing in pan and zoom. IN short, pan and zoom really sucks! Laying down a narrative audio track sucks. Without video it will time out and stop recording after something like 30 seconds. What if my workflow doesn't want to have video before audio? OK, so drop in a still and stretch its time to exceed the expected duration of audio (why?). Lay down audio and do some editing. Why is my audio editing creating gaps in my video track? Why can't I export the audio track from one project for insertion into the project containing my edited video (since editing the audio WITH the video seems to risk disturbing the video track)? In short this application is sticky, tricky.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 4:47 PM   in reply to WebGuyDesign

Thinking about this some more...

My experience using APE 10 is that it is inconsistent and inscrutably so. If the application were tricky but consistent, it would be possible by observing it's peculiarities, to learn to live with it, BUT I have found it to be so inconsistently tricky as to render it just shy of useless.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 3:23 PM   in reply to Mussels Marinara

Interesting.

Most users of Premiere Elements have few issues with the program, beyond trying to edit delivery-only material, mis-matching the Source Footage to the Project's Settings, trying to use obsolete video drivers, or trying to edit H.264 on an underpowered computer - about the same problems as with any NLE, including PrPro.

Now, up until PrE 8, the program was quite stable. However, PrE 8 was Adobe's version of Vista. It never ran well for too many users, and even Adobe could not make it go. They issued 3-4 updates, which is something that one does not usually see with PrE, because of the 12 mos. life-span of the program.

Then, PrE 9 and 10 got great reviews from real-world users. PrE 11 is doing the same, though the entire GUI has been streamlined beyond what familiar users like.

Sorry that you had bad experiences.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2014 3:56 AM   in reply to WebGuyDesign

I recently got a macbook pro 16GB flash drive i7. Sadly these specs do not keep my premiere elements 12 from becoming frustratingly laggy while editing .mp4. I am not a whiz on this program, but I was hoping to get better if I could just figure out a way to fix this major problem that does not seem to have a real solution yet. I am going to try to get a 1TB 7200rpm HDD and see what that does. If it doesn't do anything I'm going to have to just return everything and learn final cut X.

J

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2014 6:33 AM   in reply to jsb1230

jsb1230,

To troubleshoot your Mac w/ PrE, I would post to the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements?view=discussions

When you do, if you could list the full specs. of your Mac, the details on those MP4 files, and then the Project Settings applied to your Project, it would be helpful. The more detail that you provide, the easier it will be to help you sort things out. One of the MOD's there, Steve Grisetti is very fluent in Mac-speak, and uses several with PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points