Skip navigation
boguser
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to open pdf file using version 9.5.0 and 10.1.2 / Windows 7 HE / IE 9.0

Mar 2, 2012 10:26 AM

My issue is very similar to Elaina920.

I have Adobe Reader version 9.5.0, running on Windows 7 Home Edition, using IE 9.0.5.  When I attempt to open a pdf document from a secure site, a new window opens, but nothing happens....just a blank (white) screen.

When I try to do the same thing using IE 9.0 64-bit edition, a new window opens and I get a "Do you want to save...." dialog box.  But when I click on Save or Save As and attempt to save it as a .pdf file, I get a "[file name] couldn't be downloaded" message.

Things I've already tried:

- IE / Tools/ Internet Options / Security / Custom Level / Downloads / File Download is enabled

- IE / Tools/ Internet Options / Programs / Manage Add-Ons / Adobe PDF Link Helper is enabled

- Checked for Adobe update and got "No Updates Available" message

- Ran Repair Adobe Reader Installation and re-started PC

- Upgraded to version 10.1.2 and applied patch program  ==> no change in how the program works

Please help!

Thanks,

Ed.

Message was edited by: boguser

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 3, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to boguser

boguser wrote:

I get a "[file name] couldn't be downloaded" message.

To me that sounds as if the website will not let you download the document.

Does this only happen on one specific site, or do other sites behave the same way?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2012 7:30 PM   in reply to boguser

Adobe Reader / Acrobat are 32-bit as are the browser add-in/plug-in.

Use of a 64-bit browser means things aren't going to work serendipitously.

This thread is worth the read.

http://answers.acrobatusers.com/Acrobat-X-Pro-add-Internet-Explorer-9- 64-bit-version-q10620.aspx 

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 8:22 PM   in reply to boguser

When using a 32-bit browser, the PDF document should open in the browser (using the Adobe Reader add-on).

When using a 64-bit browser, it will ask you if you want to save the document, or open in Adobe Reader.

If neither of these methods work, then it is the website that does not let you download the document (for whatever reason, e.g. server overload).

Try if you can open this document: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83708/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_Re leaseNote_10.1.2.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 7:08 PM   in reply to boguser

"this website" - is that a secure site (with a https protocol address)?

Are you logged-in to that site?

Does that site provide support for problems like yours?

Or... is that document you are trying to download public, so someone here could try to download it?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 1:49 AM   in reply to boguser

That is difficult to answer; especially since you were able to download a "normal" PDF (from the link I provided earlier).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to boguser

I have the same issue. Running 7 64bit, IE9. I am told that the problem may be IE9 with some applications. My work-around was to use Firefox and that still works just fine. If that is an option for you, give that a try. If not you could try downgrading IE9 to IE8. Hope this helps

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points