Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Email does not work in Lightroom 4

Mar 8, 2012 7:01 PM

Tags: #email #lightroom4 #error_email

Message I get is: "Unable to export. An internal error has occurred: AgExportRendition: cannot import a photo exported to a temporary location."

I've tried sending a photo to myself, and to someone else, with the same results both times. This had occurred with the beta version and I'd assumed that it was awaiting a fix....

Anyone have a solution?

LCary

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2012 8:24 PM   in reply to campho

Are you using the new File > Email Photo feature?

If so, can you try something?

Go to the Users/[Username]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Lightroom/Export Presets/Lightroom Presets folder, and determine if you have either or both of these two files:

-- For E-Mail.lrtemplate

-- For Email(Harddisk).lrtemplate.

If you have both, can you please take the For Email(Harddisk).lrtemplate file, and move it onto the Desktop, then try emailing and see if it works?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to campho

Thanks for trying it out. I've noted this in the bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 2:14 AM   in reply to tinaTS

I'm on Windows 7 64bit and use Windows Live Mail.

Users/[Username]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Lightroom/Export Presets/Lightroom Presets   folder is empty.

CTRL-SHIFT M opens dialog with the chosen photos attached, and without filling in anything,  I click Send and then Windows Live Mail opens New Message with my photos attached.

This is working to my convenience.

Frans

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 3:42 AM   in reply to campho

I'm on Windows 7 64 Bit and use Microsoft Outlook and it works fine for me.

Both Email Photos... and Export with Preset (For Email, and For Email Hard Drive) work.

The preset is located in "c:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Export Presets\Lightroom Presets" and is called "For E-Mail.lrtemplate"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 4:25 AM   in reply to campho

Windows 7 64-bit.

I have just the E-Mail.lrtemplate in the folder, and whether I right-click and email on the image, or select File...Email...eveything wotks fine...goes through to Outlook 2010 64-bit.

I do not have the Email Hard Drive template, but if I run the Export to Hard Drive for Email, the image exports and Explorer opens in the folder with the image, where I right-click and Send to...Mail recipient.

Not sure if this is the expected behaviour, as I do not have that template.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to campho

I have the same problem. The For Email(Harddrive) template never existed, and I have already removed the other For Email template in an attempt to fix the problem.

I'm on Vista Business 64 Bit using Outlook 2003. I also set up my outgoing SMTP Mail Server directly in LR, and have the same problem. This is an LR 3.6 to LR 4 upgrade, and I still have LR 3.6 and an LR 2.x installed on the same computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to paul@microtime.com

Here's what fixed it for me:

I went to Preferences, Presets Tab, and under Lightroom Defaults I clicked on Restore Export Presets.

Then all worked fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to Michael Tomko

Good thought, but that didn't fix it for me.

I also tried removing the Email(Harddrive) preset after Restore Export Presets didn't work, and no joy either.

In both cases I also tried restarting lightroom after attempting the fix, with no luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to paul@microtime.com

On my MacBook Pro it works like it's supposed to.  Maybe its a Windows thing?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to campho

Windows 7 64 bit lightroom 4 I get the same error

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 6:54 PM   in reply to campho

The export preset restore worked for me.

Using OSX 10.7.3

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to campho

I'm having the same problem...  LR 3.6 upgrade to 4, the mail to feature generates the following error:

Unable to Export

An internal error has occurred: AgExportRendition: can not inmport a photo exported to a temporary location

I tried the export reset restore with a closet and reopen, with no success...

Any suggestions?

Adobe, where are you with this issue affecting multiple customers?

Thanks for your help,

Dan

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to campho

Having the very same issue here with Windows 7 64 bit and Lightroom 4. The "Export Preset Restore" hasn't solved the problem either.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to Heirloom Bob

Adobe folks,

Are you monitoring this particular issue?  Any suggestions on how to fix?  Seems like it may even predate LR4, but don’t know if it’s the same issue.  I’m running Windows 7, LR4 64 bit, and had LR 3 before upgrading.

Seems like a lot of folks are having the same problem,

Please post suggestions or fix!

Thanks for your help,

Dan

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to Dansky01

One more thing...I am running Windows 7 64 bit and lightroom 4. I did have the beta version and did NOT uninstall before in installed the "real" version. Something else is I run a SSD and have windows installed on it, however Lightroom 4 is installed on a secondary drive. Just did a "repair" install of Lightroom 4 and still no email. I have performed the renameing of the two email files in the AppData, Roaming, Adobe, Lightroom, Export Presets,  Lightroom Presets. One suggestion I had seen was to rename For Email (Hard Drive).lrtemplate and For Email.lrtemplate to something else. Restart Lightroom 4 and they would be recreated. That didn't happen so I deleted them altogether, restarted Lightroom and they were NOT recreated, thus my reinstall repair.

I just noticed that the very same AppData....Lightroom Presets folder also exists on the same drive E as my Lightroom. I copied those templates from the SSD drive to my E drive. Restarted Lightroom. Tried again and the same results.

Adobe or anyone else have any ideas?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to tinaTS

tinaTS wrote:

Thanks for trying it out. I've noted this in the bug.

Does this mean that this is being treated as a bug to be fixed?

Can the status of "Assumed Answered" for this thread be changed, as the problem is obviously NOT answered for a number of us.

So far it seems that those of us reporting the problem who have identified their OS are all Windows 7 or Vista and 64 bit.

Anybody out there with the problem running some other platform?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to campho

I too have the same problem as the OP.  Window 7 x64 Pro, LR4.  Neither of the files referenced by TinaTS are present in my installation.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to campho

Same error here windows 7 x64 never loaded the beta and there is no lightroom presets folder under the lightroom export presets folder. People with this error are all over the net since 4 was released. Since Adobe chose this function as one of the new "flagship" enhancements, maybe they should fix it or a least acknowledge it is a problem.

Apparently this was also a problem in the beta. I thought the point of a beta was to fix problems that were reported. Hello Adobe, Is there anyone out there?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 5:14 PM   in reply to chicoma12345906867

Created a new email preset and then it started working.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 6:27 PM   in reply to chicoma12345906867

As incredible as it may sound...I too created a new email preset and it worked out just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 6:32 PM   in reply to Heirloom Bob

how exactly did you create a new email preset?  I'll give it a try...

also, do you have to set up outlook or can you use email function to send via gmail?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:11 PM   in reply to Dansky01

Select  "email photo" and when you get the email dialog screen (Where you

enter the email address etc.) you should have preset drop down on the lower

left. If you click on it, there should be an option create new  preset. Make

sure email is the type and change an option like quality and click export

and see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 24, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to chicoma12345906867

Worked like a champ on my Vista 64bit.

For whatever reason, once the new user preset is working, the original presets work too.

THANKS!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to Mike Guilbault

Just for the record, the problem is the same on the Mac side but the error message is different. Bottom line, you can’t export images.

These are my comments from another thread that may be helpful for Mac users. I still haven’t found a soultion.

When I try to export an image from LR4 I get the "internal error: assertion failed" error. I'm running Lion 10.7.3 on a MacBook.

I started by reading the thread at:

Re: "internal error: assertion failed" when exporting via LR4

tinaTS offered what she thought was the correct fix but her suggestion didn't apply to my situation. She suggested moving user presets but I don't have any to move.

I also tried the basic “repair permissions” and Lion restart with no luck.

Kirk Marcus suggested removing the com.adobe.Lightroom4.plist from my library. This didn't help, still getting the error.

Then I removed these files as well:

com.adobe.Lightroom3.plist

com.adobe.Lightroom2.plist

com.adobe.Lightroom3.LSSharedFileList.plist

com.adobe.Lightroom3.plist.lockfile

None of that helped.

I tried removing all files that began with com.adobe.Lightroom and then creating a new library and just importing one picture but I still get the same "internal error" VERY FRUSTRATING.

Obviously, the program is worthless to me if I can't export images.

Additional suggestions would be appreciated. I see that lots of people on the internet are having this problem but none of the suggestions I've found so far have been of any help.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 5:10 PM   in reply to campho

I am also unable to send an email from within Lightroom 4. I am on a mac running 10.6.8. When I try to send an email I get a dialog box stating "Unable to send email". My email account verified in Lightroom email account window. Help. This program is still very buggy!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 9:32 PM   in reply to campho

I'm having the same problem. When I click email photo the screen goes white and its closes up.. The crazy things about this I sent a few emails but now its doing this

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to campho

I ended up removing everything in my Library/Adobe/Lightroom folder (put it on the Desktop). Deleted LR4 and then reinstalled it. This finally worked for me. Then I when through the removed files and added back the plugin files (into the proper corresponding folder) and it is working for me.

We should’t have to jump through these kinds of hoops to get a program to work. Even though Adobe put Lightroom through Beta, they didn’t do enough homework before releasing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 4:12 AM   in reply to campho

To TinaTS.

I have exactly this problem and error message following an upgrade today on my Windows 7 set-up from LR3 to LR4.  As it happens, under LR3 I had successfully transferred ALL my Lightroom Settings a couple of months ago to an external hard disk to provide added security. One of the two presets mentioned above I have discovered stored on the external hard disk M: at: 

M:\My Own Lightroom\Lightroom Settings\Export Presets\Lightroom Presets\For E-Mail.lrtemplate

Why does LR4 not find this specific Export Preset although it is installed? (The other preset mentioned above is not present).

Does the programme perhaps assume that all users will stick with the default Export Preset storage folder address installed by Adobe on the C: drive? Do the emails do not work simply because the export presets are at another address? If so, Adobe should allow the users to set the storage address where they please.

How can I preserve the preferred external hard disk storage situation for the Export Presets and at the same time export photos by email? What must I do?

.. and by the way: why does LR4 not display the Outlook Address Book in the Email Setup Window, although the user has marked the latter for use as email tool? Do I really have to type all export email addresses and accounting info into an LR4 exclusive address book just for for photo emailing purposes? 

Would much appreciate help or explanation on the aformentioned points. Thanks a lot.

biji47

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 4:36 AM   in reply to campho

I am using an iMac OS10.6.8 and I am unable to email.  My email is validated but after I hit send it says "Failed to Send Email. 

Any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points