Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

need to set output volume

Mar 11, 2012 5:53 PM

so using Au as a 2 track eiditor makes no sense that adobe dow not include slide to adjust volume

the host app already has the hardware settings and Au plays too loud.

I had to add an effect to the rack just to trim volume then set it back before returning to host app (hassle)

soundforge and others have hardware slider featues -- add it!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 11, 2012 7:58 PM   in reply to jjx

Well, to each their own but I'd actively oppose having an extra control like that built in.  I want any changes made in Audition to be actual adjustments to my files, not just to my monitoring levels.  I'm more than happy to make adjustments to monitor level in hardware--i.e. at my monitors (or, in my case, the monitor out control on my mixer).

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 12, 2012 3:30 AM   in reply to jjx

jjx wrote:

the host app already has the hardware settings and Au plays too loud.

I had to add an effect to the rack just to trim volume then set it back before returning to host app (hassle)

soundforge and others have hardware slider featues -- add it!!!

Audition isn't playing too loudly - your sound device settings are wrong, and Audition has no control over these. If you want the volume lower, then leave the Windows volume control, or whatever you are using, on the screen and use that. If you use effects to reduce the level of files, then you have created a non-standard file - and that's no approach to anything.

Audition couldn't possibly put a hardware control slider in the app, simply because the majority of users use professional sound devices which have their own control panels, with their own individual control characeristics - and they are all controlled in a different way.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 4:57 AM   in reply to jjx

Do your powered monitor speakers not have a volume control?  I'd just use that if there is one.

In my case, I have a couple of options for controlling monitor level:  my monitors are passive so I have an external amp with a volume control.

However, even before that, depending which interface I'm using, I either have a monitor level knob on my simple two track interface or a monitor level control on my mixer when I'm using my multichannel interface via a digital mixer.

If you're using the in-built sound card on a lap top or something (you really shouldn't be--their quality is total rubbish) I guess you don't have that option but sure there some control on your speakers or the amp for them?

As Steve and I were trying to say, if it's an omission, it's a deliberate one because the only way Audition could do this is by changing the actual levels of your mix--and that would be a VERY dangerous idea for monitoring;

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to jjx

Not being funny but how about setting the slider in vegas (or whatever) to maximum and adjusting your monitors to a comfortable listening level.

Problem solved--and probably the way any professional software/hardware is designed to work.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 12, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to jjx

jjx wrote:

i dont buy that even though in understand it.

I'm not asking you to buy it - just telling you how it is, and how it will remain.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 12, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to jjx

jjx wrote:

will reamin only if adobe wants to continue to have a prosumer app / crippleware ... silly season

I'm afraid you are mistaken about that - it's the lack of features like this that make it the exact opposite - which is why just about every radio station in the world uses it. Pretty much the last thing you need is a control that can randomly affect the output of a sound device into a calibrated system.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 7:41 PM   in reply to jjx

It's completely your choice--and from your description of your needs it sounds like you'll be happier with a prosumer product.

However, whatever you think, SteveG has it right.  In a professional setting the control you're asking for would actually get in the way of doing a proper job on proper equipment.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points