Skip navigation
Smallersen
Currently Being Moderated

Developing series of images for panoramas in LR4

Mar 12, 2012 3:58 AM

Hi forum

Is there a way to  link a series of images while developing, so that they are really(!) developed the same way,

that the lightness of coherent images stay coherent?

I very often need to do enhance shadows.

The sliders Highlights, Shadows, Whites and Blacks work absolutely different in LR with different contents of images.

Crazy enough, a light image gets lighter whith the same setting of enhance shadows than a dark image.

So when you develop a series of images for a panorama with same settings in LR, there are huge differences

for example between the sky and the nadir image.

My stitcher PTGUI Pro does some equalizing, but if you want precise results it´s necessary to develop each image seperately,

a very long process. As I need to work really fast (200-300 panoramas per month), this is annoying.

A easy solution is to zero  Highlights, Shadows, Whites and Blacks sliders  in LR  and use "Shadows and Hightlights" in PSD with the final panorama,

with worse result.

Any other LR-based soution?

My panorama-workflow: Develop images in Nikon NX or Lightroom (from .NEF to .jpg), stitch jpgs in PTGU.

http://www.kubische-panoramen.de/

Coherent images for a panorama. with "Shadows" set to 80. Note that the nadir images are extremely darker,

the sky image is much lighter (green tree and building), a mess.

screenshot.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2012 5:44 AM   in reply to Smallersen

As a workaround, you could use PV2010.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 6:16 AM   in reply to Smallersen

I never did this even with PV2010.

I always shot in manual and produced the panorama first, and then enhanced that with LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

I use the same pano workflow as the OP for several reasons, one of which is that it facilitates creation of HDR panos.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Smallersen

Smallersen wrote:

By the way, "Fill light" and "recovery" in LR3 produce the same problem.

That's because they, like all the new controls, are image-adaptive.

I suggest you use the non image adaptive controls, primarily the tone curve, when you are doing this.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to Smallersen

Smallersen wrote:

I hoped, there would be a fix in LR4, like analysing the whole set of images for developing,

a "panorama mode". Instead of this the problem is even worse.

Would "Match Total Exposures" be of any help, Library Module_Photo>Develop Settings>Match...., for a starting develop setting for your photos?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to Smallersen

I use the same workflow as you do.

After the pictures are aligned in PTGui Pro, I view them in the Panorama Editor and press "No Blend" (second red button). This shows clearly which pics are too dark or too light. I then adjust Exposure for them accordingly in LR (guessing from what I saw in PTGui; not more than +/-0.30) and export them again.

The remaining differences are easily blended away by PTGui.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 1:46 AM   in reply to Smallersen

Smallersen like the panoramas on your web site.  Am I missing something are my standards too low? 

If I edit the key image in LR4 with Autosync on (and the other component images selected) I appear to get the same adjustments on all images, which in turn can be built into a panorama (in my case using PS/CS5 and ACR6.7)  without noticeable discrepancies between component elements. (The night shot I used to test does not really contain extreme differences.)   Previously I have achieved a satisfactory results building HDR elements with Enfuse and LR3.6 to create panoramas in the same way

If the 'image adaptive' features of PV2012/LR4 preclude having common fixed adjustments then I cannot see how to create a satisfactory panorama where images vary widely or is this a variation on how to maintain fixed rather than relative adjustments?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points