Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere crashing. Using Blackmagic Intensity Pro HDV sequence

Feb 7, 2012 5:51 AM

Hi. I'm editing with Premiere. I'm using an intensity pro card(blackmagic design) with
Q4000 Nvidia Graphics card. It keeps crashing on me. More so with the HDV footage I'm editing.
I have included my computer specs as well as media info of my source footage and the sequence settings.

Any help with this would be much appreciated!!!

Media info HDV.jpg

MS info.jpg

sequence setting.jpg

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to Saad Khan

What Nvidia driver version do you have installed?

Do you have any 3rd party players or transcoders installed?

What Blackmagic Driver do you have installed?

Create a new project and then sequence using one of the Adobe AVCHD Presets. Import the HDV sequence into the new project. Switch the MPE engine from hardware to software and delete the preview files. Then Switch the MPE engine back  to hardware and delete the preview files again. Save the project and close. Open Adobe again and launch the project. See if it crashes at that point.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 6:22 AM   in reply to Saad Khan

Yes the overclocking could definitely do that if it was unstable. Keep in mind that CS5.5 has a bug with Anamorphic sequences. Any anamorphic sequences such as HDV will not activate the hardware MPE on playback. Just select a Non anamorphic preset instead such as the AVCHD presets that are 1920x1080 and drop the HDV material into them.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to ECBowen

I didn't notice any problems with HDV. Everything seemed pretty snappy although maybe HDV is such a light codec that I didn't notice any performace issue? Media Encoder used all 6 cores at 100%. Just wondering if it isn't something to with your graphics card?

I sold my HDV and will be using AVCHD, so finally get to make this computer break a sweat.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to Islanders66

The issue with Anamorphic was tested on several systems and was not tied to any specific graphics card.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to Saad Khan

The first troubleshooting point would be the Ram especially since that was recently changed. You would need to find out what specifically was changed by the tech who configured the ram. Also I would memtest the unit in it's current state with memtest.org and see if errors are showing up. If the ram settings/latency or voltages are set incorrectly then that would cause this kind of instability.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 5:44 PM   in reply to Saad Khan

I've been having a similar problem and think I found a solution. I've been trying to edit video created with Blackmagic codec, but I don't have any blackmagic hardware myself. The company that created the video also gave me the most up to date drivers to install in order for me to access the codec. But Premiere Pro CS5.5 is constantly crashing when I try to edit the videos. I found this forum in my search for an answer.

I also learned that Premiere Pro's latest update, CS5.5.2 from November 2011 was supposed to specifically fix the crashes with 3rd party plugins.  I figured that if it had been fixed in November, maybe an older driver from Blackmagic would work. I uninstalled the current Blackmagic software, then downloaded & installed an archived version dated October 2011 (From Blackmagic's support page).  The crashes seems to have stopped.

Knock on wood.

Diane

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to Saad Khan

Have you run Memtest yet?

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Saad Khan

What sound cards do you have?

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 3:27 AM   in reply to Saad Khan

BSOD is almost always a hardware problem. Since you do not appear to have the technical expertise to solve this yourself, you have to rely on your IT guy. As a first step, I would remove BM completely and try to replicate the BSOD. Also carefully check all the BIOS settings for anything that does not belong on an editing station, like hibernation, power saving, etc.

BTW, what a waste of such a powerful CPU with such a lousy disk setup and the limited memory. It is a lob-sided system IMO. Like a Formula 1 race car, but with the gearbox of a 30-year old Beetle.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Do you have a way to monitor your CPU core temperatures while exporting?  Maybe your H60 is not doing its job properly under the stress of high CPU usage.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to Saad Khan

This really sounds like the ram and bios settings are not correct. I know the ram tested ok but this error is to inconsistent to be a software or HDD issue unless the MFT is corrupting. I would really have the IT person go through the bios settings and change a few such as the the VCCSA voltage. Set that to manual and make sure it's 1.15v to 1.25v. What speed and voltage do you have the ram set to?

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 3:04 AM   in reply to Saad Khan

I checked your PSU based on your list of components and it gave me these results:

22-2-2012 11-37-56.jpg

These figures are without any safety margin. I usually advise to add around 10% for safety. If I look at your PSU, it shows these data:

22-2-2012 11-42-48.jpg

This tells me that your +5V rail may be a weak point because of the lacking amperage with this PSU and worth checking. Your system needs a combined wattage of nearly 190 W but delivers only 150 W on the +3.3 and +5V rails. This also shows that it will be hard to make this a more balanced system with better disk I/O, because the wattage is just not enough to add a dedicated raid controller and some more disks. I would not be surprised if the PSU is the culprit here, but let your IT guy check this out. And let him carefully check the temps of CPU, mobo and GPU, both idle and under load.

A good disk setup for a balanced system with such a powerful CPU would be something like described in the 'Warrior' system here: Adobe Forums: What PC to build? An update...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 5:29 AM   in reply to Saad Khan

Saad,

I would suggest that you change your RAM; G. Skill is great RAM, but if you go to G. Skill's web site the sticks that you are using are NOT among the 10 models of RAM that they manufacture AND recommend for your motherboard. Check out the RAM Configurator at www.gskill.com.

I came to look this up when you said your builder "lowered" the speed of the RAM and it is working better (that sounds strange indeed). Also, on another thread here, the ever so knowledgeable Eric (from ADK) has mentioned that the new X79's are very sensitive to RAM.

Finally, if you "builder" selected this RAM choice for you, I would expect him or her to make good on selecting a model approved by the vendor for use in your specific MB.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to Saad Khan

No Saad, the new RAM you just purchased is NOT on G. Skills approved list for your motherboard (ASRock X79 Extreme 4) either - try again!

Check out:

http://www.gskill.com/configurator2.php?pid=2&model=1363

Also, do not chose any RAM kit that is "approved" for 2x4GB or 2x8GB and simply buy 2 kits to fully populate your board. By just one kit. I say this because it has been reported here that the X79 chipset is picky about RAM. So, if you want to run 32GB of RAM the kit part number should end in 32GBZL. You have tried RAM stick kits ending in 8GBXL twice now but neither is approved, not even for running just 2 sticks at a time to get 16GB of RAM.

Good luck!

Jim

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers