Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Go ProHD....Premiere Pro

Mar 11, 2012 10:48 PM

Quick and easy one guys

Does PPRO edit Go Pro HD footage (1080p h.264 PAL) natively?

Thanx.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to shooternz

Been messing with that format recently. PP 5.5 does seem to pull in the .mp4 file natively for me nice and easy. Mine is NTSC but thinking PAL shouldn't be a problem. Need a sample file, let me know.

Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to shooternz

Yes it does (I use HD Hero2s with 1080 PAL settings, have also pushed a lot of 720/60 through it) - but you may want to try running the footage through the free Cineform Studio app that GoPro have for download on their website - it seems to make enough of a difference in scrubbing performance to be worth the extra disk space. I'm dubious if there's any advantage in the 422 chroma upsampling it applies given the bit rates on the Hero and Hero2 aren't all that high, but Cineform's background engine does have a dinky real-time link into Prem Pro, so adjusting the  footage in Cineform Studio changes the previews in PP (and it has a couple of things that'd be a pain to do in PP, such as de-fishing).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to shooternz

Yep. It's not the easiest scrubbing format (highly compressed) but with a beefy system you can do it.

I've run mostly 720p60 and it works fine so I'd expect no issues for your PAL 1080p recordings.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to shooternz

Does not make any difference if it pal or ntsc.

Premiere can do it natively, but download their Cineform Studio, editing will be a lot smoother.

http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-how-it-works/ 

It says 3D but works for 2D just as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to shooternz

Given all the issues folks have had in the past using footage from GoPro cameras (which do not record in a standardized format), I'm a little surprised at all the "yes" answers.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

Given all the issues folks have had in the past using footage from GoPro cameras (which do not record in a standardized format), I'm a little surprised at all the "yes" answers.

Best I can tell, the folks (myself included) who chimed in on this one are all the pro editors for whom this is the day job and so we're talking pretty beefy systems.

I edited a GoPro montage on my HP laptop last year (still a beefy laptop) and it was no fun. I did it, but PPro was really angry about it.

A decent quad core and a bunch of RAM help to do the job, and a nice MPE-capable GPU makes it enjoyable.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to shooternz

If you ever need to correct the lens distortion use this in AE with the Optics Compensation effect

720p 

Field of View: 83.0

Reverse Lens Distortion: on

FOV Orientation: Horizontal

Optimal Pixels: off

1080p

Field of View: 63.0

Reverse Lens Distortion: on

FOV Orientation: Horizontal

Optimal Pixels: off

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 2:15 PM   in reply to shooternz

FWIW, I found that with the original GoPro HD Hero that the LCD BacPac accessory was easily the most valuable accessory that GoPro made (and of course, turns out to be the most expensive). Main problem the LCD screen solved was being able to see the thing you are shooting so you can set up your shots easier, but also with the menu navigation (almost like having to learn Morse code if you didn't have the LCD).

The new Hero 2 has a MUCH improved front info screen so it's easier to get the thing set up, but the LCD BacPac is still nice to have for framing (especially underwater shots).

Have fun!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 3:22 PM   in reply to shooternz

Trust me, you'll get addicted - sooo many things you can stick a camera on, some of which don't even have to be alive

The wi-fi back is well worth it (due in the stores imminently) - you can stream to a cellphone so it makes self-shooting a breeze. Quality's great outdoors, but note that the "narrow" modes use software cropping, so it's just as good to shoot in the "wide" mode and reframe in Prem. GoPros don't like low-light, they'll expose OK but the results are very noisy.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Great tip Ann, our AE guy used this on some other lens distorted footage and it seems to work great.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 7:39 PM   in reply to shooternz

I hope that your excursions with the Go-Pro footage goes well.

Hollywood is really starting to embrace the Go-Pro, due to where the cameras can be placed.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points