Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to use "redefine edge" tool?

Mar 7, 2012 8:07 AM

Tags: #photoshop #edge #to #manual #how #touch #redefine

I've seen the tutorial and the video about this tool where he taps and hold for a second or so to activate the function.... But it does not work... It paints normally and comes back to the same. Can anyone help. Is there a manual coming? Some keys I have no idea what mean.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2012 1:23 AM   in reply to KingR2

You are right in saying that the Refine Edge tool does not appear the same as on the tutorial TV.  However I tried applying the same technique - outlining the subject without crossing the boundary too much - and it seemed to work.  I ended up with a marquee that is tight around the subject.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to KingR2

Hi KingR2,

Refine edge works really well for selecting shapes that have very textured edges (like grass, leaves, hair, or fur). If all you want is to get a soft-edged selection, you should make your selection and then tap the Selection menu and choose Feather. The larger the Radius you use, the softer the selection edge will become.

To really get a good view of your soft edge try this:

1. Make a selection.
    2. Use the Refine Edge or the Feather feature depending on the subject matter.
    3. While the selection is still active, tap the Add Layer button and choose Layer from Selection.
    4. To get a good look at the edges, turn off the other layers so you can only see the one you just created.

Here is a good example of when Refine Edge works most effectively. Compare the edges where the horse's mane and whiskers appear:

RefineEdge.png

I hope this helps,

Luanne

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 9:53 PM   in reply to KingR2

According to the TV tutorial you need to paint around the outline of your subject. Try selecting a reasonable brush size - depending on the size of your image a size of 20 to 40 seems to work well.  Paint around the outline but try not to cross into the subject itself too much.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points