Skip navigation
StevenKossor
Currently Being Moderated

Converting one channel stereo to mono audio track

Mar 12, 2012 4:26 PM

I mistakenly imported a clip with only left-channel audio, edited it extensively, then realized that it only had a "left channel" of audio.  I need to convert the DVD/F4v to monaural sound.  Anyone know how to do that to an imported, edited clip?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2012 5:47 PM   in reply to StevenKossor

Use the "Fill Left" audio effect (in the stereo effects bin). It doesn't create mono audio, but rather it pans the left channel audio across both left and right audio channels, ignoring whatever is in the right audio channel.

That's really your only option at your current point in the edit. If you need mono audio on your output, then just specify it in your export settings and you'll be fine. Using the "Fill Left" effect will cover your bases.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 5:54 PM   in reply to StevenKossor

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2012 7:19 PM   in reply to StevenKossor

Nope, the audio waveform remains a reflection of the clip itself (for better or for worse). It SHOULD absolutely be playing across both speakers. I think you must have changed the audio pan early on to compensate for your left channel audio. You must change the pan (either on the track keyframes or in the audio mixer panel) to center up your audio. When you pan a track it outputs to ONLY that track. If your sequence has a stereo master track (which is about 99% likely) then panning a track L/R will leave you with one dead channel.

Center up the pan on your track and that'll do it. Otherwise, you'll have only audio in the left channel on your DVD/F4V.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points