Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Email Photo without Address Book support = wasted time

Mar 13, 2012 10:27 AM

Tags: #email

It's really hard to believe that Adobe thinke we will be typing in all our email addresses to our very own "Lightroom Address Book" when we all have a perfect system or utlook address book on our computer. One that might even be cloud synced and what not.

Implementing emailing without external address book integration is plain ridiculous and IMO wasted time and effort by the programmers.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 13, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to Thomas Geist

Thomas,

When you go to email, when the page pops up, do not type in anything into the

"to" section. Just make sure the "apple mail" is selected and hit send. This will

open in mail and you send as you normally would from your mail acct. All your

normal contacts are there per usual and your mail will be open with the attached

image. You can then click to add recipient and add a message etc.

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to Thomas Geist

Fortunately, the old MAPI plugin still works on Windows: http://sbsutherland.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&cati d=34%3Aplugins&id=47%3Amapimailer-email-export-plugin-for-lightroom&It emid=54.  It adds an export preset, that creates a temporary JPG, and invokes your default mail client.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to Thomas Geist

I thought I tried it and it worked.  I'll check again this evening to confirm that..  I only have a Mac with me right now.

I see several people are having the same issue, some with the new built-in mail feature.  Looks like it may be an issue with your Export Presets.  Some folks have had success by removing them, as described here: http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?14968-Problems-with-emai l.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to Thomas Geist

Thats strange. All I do is click on a photo in library, go up to file and select email photo. The window

automatically opens with my image already visible. Apple mail is the selection to the right. I do not

enter a name or subject, I just click send.  Screen disappears and in the library the activity bar at top

show image being processed for email. It then opens in my regular mail account ready to send. All

I have left to do is add name, subject and any message per usual.

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to DavidRitch

I suggest  you do not try changing anything on Mac, just use "apple mail" as is. My mail is on Road Runner

and when I entered the necessary info it would not authenticate. My pop mail is already set up and using

"apple mail" is all that is necessary.  Let me check out my PC windows 7 laptop and I will see if "windoz"

does any different!

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Thomas Geist

I think this is just another classic example of an incomlete new feature ... Lr4 seems to have an abundance of this unfortunately ...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to Butch_M

Butch,

I think you are right. Something is definately wrong on Windoz 7. My Macs (sno kitty)

works as per my above.  PC is totally wonky and sends some cropped version of the

file with the offer for a slide show option?????? It switches from my RR account to

Hotmail acct. WTH????  Neither machine can be set via the server connection in the

application. This makes no sense.

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to DavidRitch

Thanks David,

I don't use the PC for LR, just have it on there incase I need to tweek a

photo for ProShow. Right now the only practical thing on this PC is to

export a jpg to desktop and attach to email. It's less trouble.  This just

isn't working as it should obviously

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to Thomas Geist

Well, I fully agree that Adobe failed to provide a good e-mail interface for LR4 workflow. Compared to Picasa where I will select a photo and selected e-mail client will create a new message with attached files will appear, the Adobe way is as from 1995. If you have the e-mail in your workflow, Adobe failed to provide you efficient tool, but to be honest you can still do it the old way - create a new message, attach exported files,... For me is this not crucial functionality as I do not have e-mail in my workflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to Thomas Geist

Blind copy Bcc doesn't work properly either.  A recipient in Bcc gets the word 'Photo' insteawd of the image

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 3:57 PM   in reply to asu_chic

This is working fine for me, both on a Mac (Snow Leopard) and a PC (Windows 7 64-bit).  I thought it was awful at first - it brought up its own user interface, and lets you fill in headers.  Then I realized that there was a drag-down menu to the right of the subject, labeled "From:", that was not associated with the "From:" email header.  Instead, it's a selector for your email client.  On my systems, it correctly identified Thunderbird on the PC and Mac Mail on the Mac as my default mail applications.  When I clicked send, it exported the pictures and opened my mail client, with a blank email with my selected pictures as attachments.

I'm not sure what else I would want from an "Email Picture" option.  It passes it to my email system, and that does the rest.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)