Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CinemaDNG operation in AE and Premiere CS 5.5?

Mar 10, 2012 10:13 PM

I worked my way through using CinemaDNG in AE and Premiere. But, there are differences that are me causing confusion:

1) In AE, I use FILE > IMPORT FILE... and select the first DNG file in a folder. The CinemaDNG panel auto-opens. After making adjustments and clicking OK, I can double-click the FOLDER name and the first frame appears in the video window. I can play the file.

2) When I need to alter my adjustment,  I must use the FILE > REPLACE FOOTAGE > FILE (and select the first DNG file in a folder) command. Is there a simpler way like Premiere's CLIP > SOURCE SETTINGS command?

3) When I REPLACE FOOTAGE, it has the modified images. NOT, the original footage! Which rasies two questions: Where are the adjustments one makes SAVED?  (Is it stored in each image file? In AE?)  Is there a REVERT command? (After making new adjustments, the video window shows them.)

4) The DNG frame-size is 2048x1092. Because of garbage on the clips's edges -- I want to CROP -- not SCALE) to 1920x1080. I have set the Render Settings to 1920x1080. I'm not useing Region or any kind of Crop filter. Am I correct that AE CROPS the incoming image to 1920x1080?

In Premiere, CinemaDNG works very differently:

1) FILE > IMPORT... and select the folder to import. After importing, I select the first clip and issue the CLIP > SOURCE SETTINGS command. Amazingly, if I made settings in AE, they appear in the newly loaded clip! This seems wrong -- the original clips should NEVER be modified.

2) Which raises the question, how to fully revert to the original images?

3) I notice Premiere places an XML file into folder --- while AE does not. What's the XML file for?

4) I notice changes made in Premiere show-up in AE -- even if I delete the XML files. Which seems to indicate the adjustments must be made to the DNG files themselves. Which seems to make REVERT impossible. Correct?

5) Premier, unlike AE, seems to have have a problem with frame-rate. In Premiere each frame is set at 1 fps -- which is wrong. After dragging the folder into a Sequence, I've tried selecting all clips and then useing CLIP > MODIFY > INTERPRET FOOTAGE... and set the rate to 999fps which forces the clips 'duration to 0:00:00:01 which is correct. But, now clips will not play. Nor, can they play if dragged into a Sequence. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 13, 2012 10:18 PM   in reply to d-v-c

1) AE already had support for DNG sequences (a folder of DNG files). It uses Adobe CameraRAW for this. The CinemaDNG plugin, when used with AE, simply adds support for CinemaDNG packaged as a single MXF file. With Premiere, there was no existing support for DNG sequences, so the CinemaDNG plugin adds support for both DNG sequences and MXF packaged files.

2) Since AE is going through CameraRAW, it implements adjustments in this manner.

3) Not sure where adjustments go. Perhaps someone in AE can address this.

4) Not sure about cropping.

Premiere Pro:

1) This is a bug. If you close the Premiere project, then reopen, are the incorrect settings from AE retained? Either the CinemaDNG plugin is grabbing the AE CR adjustments by mistake, or there is a drawing problem.

2) Not sure how to fully revert. If it is grabbing the AE CR settings, you could reset CR first, then import in Premiere.

3) In an earlier download, the XML file was used to pass settings from the dialog back to the plugin. This was a bug, and it should have been fixed in the last download.

4) The adjustments in Premiere should be saved in Premiere, not in the DNG files. Check if you have the last download of the plugin.

5) Since there is no framerate in DNG sequences, the plugin arbitrarily sets it to 1 fps. Reinterpret footage should work.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points